Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-26-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
Well i finally decided to start and try to wakeboard after buying a boat recently. My girlfriend wakeboards and I have only tried once with not much success(I did waterski at one time long long ago) What I am wondering is what you guys might recommend for a decent beginners board and binding. I tried to use my buddy's Hyperlite board and size 12 binding and about drowned trying to get them off even though my foot is a size 12. Just want to know what you would recommend for a binding that is easy to get off and on. I dont plan on doing any major flips or anything right away so it doesnt have to be super tight. I am 6'5 and 225' and my foot is a 12 e with not so flexible ankles. Any tips are seriously appreciated!!
Old     (skinny99)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-26-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Best place to start would be with a combo package from one of the large manufacturers! Liquid Force,Hyperlite,Ronix and O'brien all have packages for different levels and price ranges. I think with feet that wide you will be in open toe bindings,find somewhere near you that sells equipment and try some on! Trully right now all boards will perform good enough to start with as long as they are the proper size! I went with a LF trip with the Index bindings and it works great! They have bindings for the 12-15 size range that should fit and are easy to get on and off! Should be able to buy the combo in the $300 range. Good Luck!
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
I am big like you as well, I am a little heavier (250lbs 6'4" size 13). I rode a board that was too short for me for a long time, it really hampered my progress. I am no pro, but I ride 3-4 days per week. I would recommend something in the 144+ size.
I currently ride a slingshot response 145 and I love it. Hyperlite murray 145 is good, ronix one 146 was great.

The easiest bindings to get in and out of are the cwb hinge bindings. You can pick up some older years (still new) from the-house.com

I had those bindings and I love the ability to slide my feet in easy and then pull the lever to tighten them up.

Dont necessarily buy the cheapest beginner board, because you may progress past it faster than you realize. pm me if you have any specifics you want answered.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-27-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
+1 on CWB hinge bindings if ease on/off is what you are after, but realistically, you will be able to get just about any properly fitted binding off and on fairly easily after a few rides. I would not get cheap bindings too start, skimp on the board if you have to. The board and bindings will feel less ackward each time out.

I have taught many people to ride on our boat board which is a HL ERA, which was an advanced board design 5 years ago so you will not outgrow it too quickly, but there are lots of solid choices, including the SS Response if you want to go straight to flex and you can buy a 145 Response with bindings at Boaders Best Buy (ad link above) for $300.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-27-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
+1 cwb hinge. Easiest bindings to get on and off, but they still provide lots of support
Old     (jim_b)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-28-2009, 4:11 AM Reply   
Steve I am 6'3" 235 and I have a foot size 13 wide. I ride CWB hinge tech binding size XXL.
and a CWB marius 141 board.

CWB hinge tech bindings are the best for guys with big wide feet.