Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
So I was looking @ adding a bimini and tweaking the stereo...then I thought
OK in a perfect world..i would simply buy a new boat...however...of course..the world is not perfect...so for a stereo upgrade...here's what I have
Clarion Head unit-boat is an 02..so same year-if I upgrade the head unit..I have a remote by the throttle and one @ the swim grid.does anyone know if the remotes are compatible for newer clarion units..
Or what are my best options to keep the head unit... upgrade speakers?
Here's the system..
Clarion Head unit-
2 clarion 400w amps
4 clarion 6'marines in the boat..
1 10' ported sub under the passenger
tower speakers are mb boss 430's
Whats the best most cost effective way to upgrade this system?
Don't want to loose my remotes either...
feedback is greatly appreciated...
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
check out the clarion M475. it's compatible with your current remotes. clarion's also got several new marine HU's including one that has a build in LCD for video playback.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2009/marine/source_units/index.html

not sure if the new one's work with your current remotes, but i do know the new remotes are larger than the stock one's that probably came with your boat so it may be larger than your trim plate next to the throttle.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-13-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
I just installed the M475 and the wired remote did work, even though the place I bought the stereo from told me it wouldn't.

They also have remotes with a display but they were 3" diameters instead of 2".

If you do decide to get a new HU, check into something that you can get a RF remote for. My buddy has one and it is waterproof. He attached it to a floating keychain and he will just jump in the water with it!!
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
If you want to add an Irock wireless remote, Overtons has these on sale http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/search.cgi
I have a clarion unit and added this myself and I am by no means a stereo guy. All that I had to do is buy a Y-cable so that I could splice in the wireless remote and the whole install took me just about 5 minutes.... it is waterproof too. so you can control volume and what not while swimming.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-14-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
hey billy, i saw those, but which one did you buy. there isn't one listed specifically for clarion. so does that one from overton's come with the "receiver" then? was looking on irock site and it lists a receiver for like $69 and then the keyfob or steering wheel remote. i wouldn't mind picking one of these up. where did you buy the y-cable and lastly, which clarion HU are you using with it? i have the M475 with two wired remotes. thanks
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I am not sure if they are just selling the remotes now or what, when I bought mine (2 years ago) it was more expensive and it came with everything but the Y-cable (I have 2 wired remotes too) I had to order the Y-cable and I am not sure where I ordered it from now, but it may have been Overtons too (it was online)... I am not sure what head unit it is, the boat is an '07 and I think that it migth be an '06 unit.... I know that it was not top of the line when I got it and I was a little upset but it really does all that I need it to do since I use the IPOD on shuffle most of the time anyway... the only drawback to that is that I can not change the song on the IPOD with the remotes.
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-14-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
That sounds like what he has. I would love to have that as well.

Is yours like this one:

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16514&cat=284&page=1

If I could find one at a decent price I would get it.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-15-2009, 7:49 AM Reply   
FJK, you are correct, that is the set up that I have. it came with the harness that just plugs in, but I had to get another Y-cable that was not included, and then it was just a matter of plugging in the cables and it all took only a couple of minutes. It may be that the Overtons sales that I posted are for the remote units only, and not the harness with the receiver. I just posted that for a reference after a quick search . But, I think that I paid about $100-120 for it when I got mine. I figured that it was not that much $ and it would be cool to have. like I said before the Wife likes to keep the remote so she can over-ride me when I turn the tunes up too loud for her liking. I think that it was a good investment. 2 weeks ago, I dropped the remote into the water as we were idling away and it floated and I retrieved it no problem. It still worked so it is water proof and does float...