Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-08-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
We are planning a houseboat trip this summer in July. Anybody have any suggestions for a good spot? Oroville? Shasta? We have a group of about eight, only going for four days. Any hot tips would be appreciated
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-08-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
Shasta
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-08-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
Shasta, but orville would be fun to
Old    tmas            04-08-2003, 9:52 PM Reply   
shasta hands down! it is incredible!
Old    mako_man            04-08-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
Shasta!!! Got a trip planned in June. 25 people with 2 houseboats.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2003, 10:40 PM Reply   
Everyone has said Shasta so I'm going with Oroville. Seriously some of the best weekend riding I've ever had. I went across the main body of the lake at about 5pm and it was glass.
Old    walt            04-09-2003, 4:36 AM Reply   
Orville !
Old    sandman            04-09-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Shasta period.
Oroville doesn't compare.
Old    sickboy            04-09-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
Trinity. More of a drive, but sooooo worth it.
Old    jplorenz            04-09-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
sickboy,
give us under-educated the run down on Trinity. We go to Shasta every summer (from Oregon) but it gets pretty busy come mid summer. I have heard some good things about Trinity but not much detail.
Thanks.
John L.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-09-2003, 9:13 AM Reply   
We're at Shasta July 25 through Aug 2nd!

All the HB places in NorCal that I know of are (not in priority order):
1. Shasta
2. Oroville
3. Trinity (I think)
4. New Melones
5. Don Pedro
6. McLure
7. Delta

You may have a hard time renting a boat this late.
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
Trinity! It's amazing...similar to Shasta as far as terrain, but far less people. It really feels like an alpine lake with views of snow capped mountains even in July. The drive is tougher...but definitely worth the extra effort.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-09-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
We house boat every summer for a week at Shasta and go to Oroville almost everyweekend to Oroville. The biggest difference is that Oroville is a little small for 4 days, Go Shatsa, you wont be disapointed.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-09-2003, 4:01 PM Reply   
Isn't Trinity significantly colder than Shasta?
Old     (susieq)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
"Trinity lake, one of California's largest lakes, has an elevation of 2,300 feet and a 145 mile shoreline. During the summer months, the air temperature is in the 80- to 90 range , while the water temperature can get up into the 80's."

Is that warm enough for you??

Old    gotglass            04-09-2003, 10:45 PM Reply   
let me clarify this for all of you, tirnity is a nice lake, but yes joe, it is significantly colder then shasta. And if you are going to ride in a lake as cold as trinity, then you might as well make the trip to the McCloud reservoir. Its a little easier drive as you do not have to tow yer boat over the summit between redding and lewiston. I live in the middle of all of it, and they are all nice lakes, but you just cant beat shasta. Shasta is very comfortable when it comes to temperature, its big so you can normally get away from the people. There are lots of places to camp, or lodge depending ony our preference, and there is some night life nearby if you want to catch a good dinner or a few drinks at a local place. If anyone wants to know more about nany of these lakes, just email me, I can tell ya pretty much anything ya need to know.
Old    loudliquid1221            04-10-2003, 7:57 AM Reply   
If you wanna take a drive but want to get the best water you could possibly get. Go to Bulards Bar. The water on the weekdays is glass. You will never not be able to have smooth water.
Old    swpmwinc            04-10-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Chris -You hit the nail on the head. Water so blue you would think you are in the Pacific Ocean somewere near Figi
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-10-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
That's right. Forgot about Bullards. If you go to the North end of the lake, the water gets more alpine and there's great rocks to jump from.
Old    sickboy            04-10-2003, 8:58 AM Reply   
You're right, you should stay away from trinity. Much, much too cold for you JOe!!!
Old     (sbayboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-11-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
I spent a week last year on a houseboat at Trinity and the water was more than warm enough in July. We even had a thunderstorm which I guess is not uncommon for those parts and the rain was even warm. My only bitch about the lake is the marina needs repair. The nails are hanging out of the dock at Cedar stock and I got a hell of a scratch on my then 3 month old boat I was pissed. But growing up I also spent a lot of vacations on Shasta and some of their Marinas are the same way.
Old    starman31            04-12-2003, 5:59 PM Reply   
We go to Shasta every year for a week and you can't beat it. We did a week long houseboat trip last year and we had a great time. We did a trip to Trinity when I was younger and didn't like it that much so we went back to Shasta the next year. We have been going there ever since You will not be disappointed with Shasta