Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-15-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
I'm really pleased to have a small role in this event. You hear so much about wakesurfing being the fastest growing behind the boat sport, the WSIA has documented this fact.

Now, the NWL is the first to bring wakesurfing to a nationally sanctioned championship.

HUGE Props to NWL, Chris Walker and our own Ed Sullivan for stepping up and making this a reality.

Be sure to attend and support this event!

Details here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/471235.html?1187126583
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
My kids are very excited about competing at the sanctioned event. We are also eager to see Judy, James and you again. Eastwood Lake is a very good spectator lake for surfing and wakeboarding.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
Jeff, if you are looking for something interesting to see while you are in Dayton, you could go see Big Jesus (south of Dayton on Interstate 75) and then eat at the Golden Lamb Inn in Lebanon. The Golden Lamb which opened in 1803, has been host to 11 U.S. Presidents and countless other famous and infamous persons. http://www.goldenlamb.com/

Proof Jesus is a Buckeye fan
Upload
Old    surfdad            08-15-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Ed mentioned this picture to me. :-) It's funny, I was born outside Dayton, but have only been there twice since the age of one. :-)

What else is in and around the area?

It'll be good to see you and the family again too.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
The Air Force museum is about a one minute drive from Eastwood Lake. Yellow Springs is an interesting little town. It is the home of Antioch College. Being a hippy never went out of style in Yellow Springs. There are a couple nice parks in the Yellow Springs area. Young's Jersey Dairy is a landmark place to get ice cream. If you like history about the Wright Brothers here is a link to check, http://www.nps.gov/daav/. I've lived in the Dayton area most of my life and unfortunately, I don't think there are a lot of places I can recommend going to see. Especially if you're from California.
Old    surfdad            08-15-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
You know what's funny Roy? When we come back from a gathering or contest we mostly talk about the wonderful parts of the country that we see and the warmth of the people there. In California, everyone fences their property...we live in the stixx and everyone has a fence.

In Minnesota, you were hard pressed to FIND a fence. Folks backyards all just merged and everyone greeted you. James even talks about how he'd consider going to college in the mid-west just because of the warmth of folks back there.

We have many wonderful things out here, but nothing beats the warmth of good natured folks, you certainly have that in spades in Ohio.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
"we live in the stixx and everyone has a fence"
Nice use of spelling Jeff.
A subliminal message?
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reminder about the Midwest. We don't have the scenic beauty of the west coast but the Midwest is a great place to raise kids. My family loves visiting California but it is not a place that I would choose to raise my kids.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-15-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at Nationals should be great times.

T-shirts just came in:-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
The Ts turned out nice. I also had custom medallions made for the Trophies. So, am I wearing out the Kokopelli dude or is this all cool?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-16-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Jeff and Dave have worked out a 1,500 foot course for the competition. There will be 300 foot run ins, and 150 foot last fall markers. Each rider will have one pull in each direction on the course. Riders may enter multiple divisions. For example a rider may enter Masters and Long Board.

Upload
Old    surfdad            08-16-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I hear that all the TRULY good looking men are entering Masters and Longboard divisions, as you used in your example. :-) Great looking T's It certainly will be a great event! We are looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
Kokopelli is COOL!
Old    surfdad            08-16-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
I'm stealing the next few paragraphs from the Babe Ruth League President, Ron Tellefsen:

Self-confidence is an attitude that allows individuals to have positive views of themselves and their situations. Self-confident people trust their own abilities, have a general sense of control in their lives and believe that
within reason they will be able to do what they wish, plan and expect.

People with self-esteem tend to be more content. They bounce back quicker from a crisis. They are not afraid to take risks in life. They don’t waste their time worrying about problems. They are more flexible and adjust easily to new situations.

Self-esteem is a child’s passport to a lifetime of good mental health and social happiness. It’s the basis of a child’s well-being and defines who they will be as an adult. It’s a known fact that a child who has self-esteem is happier, more creative, more confident and better adjusted.

Having self-confidence and self-esteem does not mean you are arrogant. It means you have a realistic understanding of your strengths and weaknesses. Self-confidence is the crucial mark that defines how a person feels about their
self and how they will act. Therefore, helping a child build self-confidence is vital to discipline.

Youth sports are an excellent avenue to promote self-esteem and self-confidence. The NWL's addition of wakesurfing to their National contest is applauded by the AWSA and myself personally as supportive of families and our youth. I hope that we see tons of folks out there!