Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    crayola311            05-08-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some resources (websites) which will teach me the basics of wakeboarding.

I can get up on waterskis no problem. But everytime I try to get up on my wakeboard i cant get my board above the water. I can ride all day in the crouched horizontal position with my board a couple inches under water. But how do I properly get up and when do I turn. I wasn't quite sure about the boat speed either. We tried fast and slow but I still couldnt get it.
Thanks
I appreciate it.
Old    chrisn            05-08-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
check this http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/GettingUp.asp
Old     (hyprlightborder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-08-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
hey
go out and buy some educational vids such as detention, they helped me a lot when i was learning how to get up.
Old     (ryin)      Join Date: May 2002       05-08-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
keep your butt to your heels and dont do anything, let the boat pull you up, dont lean foward or back or muscle around and keep your arms straight. dont do anything till you feel the surface and break free, then you cand stand and turn. You shouldnt gun the throttle on the boat, like when water skiing, but a gradually increase speed like you were just driving around getting into a plane. if you have available spots to try shallow water starts then try that, it may help.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-08-2004, 8:08 PM Reply   
A couple of years ago a friend of mine blew out his knee trying to get up. Last year he and his wife watched my Higher Education video and both got up on the first try the next morning. The video shows how your body position should be under the water. They are now both hooked on the sport.
Old     (ccubillo)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2004, 11:24 PM Reply   
This trick might help some. Wrap your elbows around your knees and try to keep them there as the boat is pulling you up. Dont fight the boat or try pulling on the rope - just relax and let the boat pull you up. As the boat starts pulling you up you sort of scrunch up bending your knees which puts your heels right by your butt (your elbows are still around or close to your knees). The board should plane on the surface of the water and when this happens slowly stand up and turn. Dont linger too long in the "neutral" position or you could face plant. Good luck!
Old     (bean521)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-09-2004, 6:50 AM Reply   
If you go to the CWB website they have a clip of how to get up from the instructional video that you can view. It helped us out a lot we were up immediately..Also what kind of board do you have?
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-09-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
When I switched over to wakeboarding I got up on my first try, but fell short after because I got up and stayed facing the boat.I put to some weight on the back of the board my fin caught and you know the rest.But it is easy once you get it.I got it the second try. I think you will get it soon too.

Old    tigejohn21i            05-09-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
When I was learning, here's what a friend told me to do. Learn on the ground first. Lay down on the ground with your legs bent, knees up, heels on the floor, arms straight. Have someone pull you up off of the ground, keeping your knees bent until you are coming up.. then straighten them up. Then, try the same thing in the water, but rotate the board forward as you are coming out of the water.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
John has a good suggestion, another mental trick is to imagine it as you are sitting down in a chair and when the boat starts to pull you up, you dig in your heels and start to "stand up" out of the chair, its not really necessary to try to force yourself to straighten out cuz that should happen naturally, you say that your board stays under water and you are able to sort of ride like this, how big are you and what size of a board do you have???? that sounds weird
Old    joshf            05-11-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
I spent LOTS and LOTS of time and energy trying to get up when I first started, only to have a GIRL give me the best pointer ever. If you are still having trouble after trying what JohnE says (which is a great way), Try this... Simply sit in the water-- knees slightly bent, arms straight. Have the driver accelerate gradually. When the driver gets out of idle speed, simply push forward with the leg that you want to be in the rear. keep the other leg bent, and just kick toward the boat with your rear foot. Not only will you pop right out of the water with no effort at all, but you won't have to worry about turning the board because you'll already be in the correct position. I promise you'll get up on the first try if you do this.