Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 9:06 AM Reply   
Hey,am thinking of building my own swim platform after getting a $1500 quote on one.
What material would you recommend?
I was thinking wood, was going to use ash or maple and make it 1 1/4" thick any thoughts?
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-29-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
If you use ash or maple you better put about 10 coats of spar varnish on it! Teak is prefered, but african mohogany is usually cheaper and looks almost as nice. I teach woodshop so I know what I am talking about. I just went over the top of mine with trex for about $70 and ZERO MAINTENCE!!! I can take a pic and email you if you like. I would make one out of marine plywood and fiberglass it then cover it with that padding(sorry can't remember the name) that someone on here sells (aqua deck???, i don't think it was hydro turf or gator grip, i think some people redid wakeskate tops with it too???). Teak looks great but sucks to maintain, most new boat manufacturers use glass covered with a pad.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-29-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
You could also have it coated in Line X which they can do almost any color. Just make it out of marine ply and have it coated.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
what about cedar?
I also thought about using one of those building panels with aluminum exterior an foam core..... just a thought.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-29-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Do you want wood look? If not, I built mine out of 3 layers of marine plywood, had it glassed and covered it with Gator Grip from Wakejunky.com It has worked great and added a little weight to back end. No maintenence. Color under glass any way you want it.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-29-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
I would avoid cedar as well. Beech would be a cheaper alternative to teak.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-29-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676080
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
how thick should the plywood be 2 - 1/2" sheets?
or 1 - 3/4"?
looked at the line -x might be the way to go once it's shaped and holes and stuff is drilled. And if it's coated does it need to be marine grade?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
thanks for the link good ideas. funny when I searched swim platforms it didn't come up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-29-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Linex it & then get a deck pad of some kind, ie; Gator Grip, Hydroturf or Seadek. Mine is 2 yrs old & still looks the same.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 7:30 PM Reply   
how thick is that 1 1/2"?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-03-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
I used 2 sheets of 7/8 and added another 7/8 piece underneath for the mounts to thicken it up for big fat screws. Had it glassed and when we put mounts on we used sealant in the holes so when ya put in screws it seals up so no water, rotting issues. You can use treated plywood as well,doesn't have to be marine plywood.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-03-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
What happened to your original platform?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
just a small one, wanted to make one to go across the entire back.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlude View Post
I used 2 sheets of 7/8 and added another 7/8 piece underneath for the mounts to thicken it up for big fat screws. Had it glassed and when we put mounts on we used sealant in the holes so when ya put in screws it seals up so no water, rotting issues. You can use treated plywood as well,doesn't have to be marine plywood.
thanks, am thinking of using regular plywood for the bottom layer and sanded for the top. Was thinking instead of glassing it, was going to shape it then have it coated with that line x. Top to bottom, then mount it sealing bolts when assembling.

Any thoughts?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2011, 12:54 PM Reply   
before you make your new platform... do you surf?? If so this is your chance to redesign the platform to help out your surf wave. I would think two layers of 3/4'' ply would be enough. You want to make sure the bottom is smooth if you want to improve the surf wave. I really need to do this on my boat but keep putting it off.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=swim+platform

i was going to do this but never got to it... but I will at some point
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-07-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
No Not for surfing. It's a bayliner not a master craft.
just need more room to put my board on and get into the water. right now I've been putting my bindings on in the water. no as easy with the closed toe bindings I now have. That's why I want to build a platform.