Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    falcon_v            02-12-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Who makes the best fluid extractor?

I have hunted for threads on this but can not find them.
I have looked at Pela/Moeller and cant decide any suggestion would helpful.
I will be using it for oil change, trany change, and v drive change.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
West Marine has a manual pump...sucked my oil right out...real easy I recommend it. Manual Oil Changer - 5.4 Qt 11047123 CJ-169SWM Worth every penny
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
No real difference. Get one nearby so you can return it if it does not work out of the box.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-12-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have the Pela one. It works great. Will work with any fluid you want to change. the part you stick into the dipstick hole is plastic coated metal - this is important. A flexible hose will collapse under the vacuum when sucking up hot/warm fluid. And the plastic coated metal is easier to fish down the dipstick. Mine has a subtle obstruction (meaning it hits something on the way to the bottom of the pan). but I am able to bounce off it a few times and get past it to get to the bottom of the oil pan. The other nice thing is that it is very easy to transfer the used oil into another container for recycling. It keeps the whole process cleaner than usual IMO. No I dont work for Pela ;-) Hope this helps
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-12-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
2nd the pela
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-12-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Fluid Extractor
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
3rd the Pela, I have the 6 litre and it works great
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
SUCK UP

good item
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
OilBoy has worked well for me. That link that Peter posted is the same unit as the OilBoy. They work great. A must have to service all the boat fluids.

(Message edited by wake_upppp on February 12, 2010)
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-13-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Moeller - works great
Old    mcbean7            02-13-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
+1 for Moeller from West Marine. I've had it for almost a year and have used it on 3 oil/vdrive/tranny changes. Works great.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-16-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
buy an electric one

trust me, pump it out is a long process!!

look at amazon
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-16-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Ok, dumb question. Do all of you not have the quick drain hose connected to the bottom of the oil pan? I just pull the quick drain hose through the plug opening in the bottom of the boat and drain the oil. Perhaps all boats don't have this feature? The inboards I have owned all had this (all had Indmar engines).
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-16-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
some do some do not
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-16-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
I've got one similar to the one that Peter_C linked. 6 litre tank, automatic siphon. Good for oil, fuel and coolant if you have closed cooling. You could probably use it to bleed brakes by yourself as well.
Old    falcon_v            02-16-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
I have the Hose on the bottom of the pan but I have heard it takes forever please some one in light me on this info of how long it takes.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-16-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
If you run your boat to warm up the oil AND pull the oil dipstick up about 1 inch to allow air into the engine, it will take about 60 seconds to drain all the oil out of the engine. I have changed my oil on all my boats this way for the last 10 years. If you do it with a cold engine it will take much longer. Also, if you don't pull up the dipstick, it will take longer.