Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old    d_fresh            07-20-2009, 4:21 AM Reply   
I have been considering purchasing some new bindings and have been trying on product at the local shop. The bindings I'm looking at are 2008 models. The problem is that they are only discounting them 20% where on line they are up to 50% off retail price. I would be willing to pay a bit higher price than online to support my local pro shop. But when the difference in price is $150, it is tough to ignore. I haven't pulled the trigger yet for purchasing online. I guess I have a guilty concience, since all the local shops are great. Your thoughts?
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-20-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
I would purchase them from my local shop hands down. If all the local pro shops were gone then you would not have the opportunity to try stuff or just look at the new stuff. Also you are paying for hi/her experience and advice. I would talk to your local shop and tell him what you can get them for and see if he/she can come to a price agreement.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Tell them straight up what you're deal is. You are saving yourself from $50+ in shipping by ordering the right size first instead of having to return it, plus if they break, you've got someone on your side. They also have overhead costs by having inventory for you to try on, they're taking a hit, again so you don't get hit with the wrong size. Be thankful to have one these days too....
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2009, 7:10 AM Reply   
Its a tuff call man thats quite a bit. I would tell your guy that look I can get them at this price + shipping can you get me NEAR that. They are used to having to compete against online retailers. Willing to bet you can come to some sort of an agreement. I would say especially with bindings the local guy but if he could not get close $150 thats a ton of cake I would lean towards online.
Old    d_fresh            07-20-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
The bindings retail for $399. I have seen them online for around $200 including shipping. They are last years model.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
What bindings are they?
Old    d_fresh            07-20-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Ronix Relik '08
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-20-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thats a tuf call for sure. I am lucky enought to live By www.THE-HOUSE.com its a SICK online shop and My local Pro Shop. I LOVE IT!!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-20-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
I would just see if they can match the price. My shop does. If not at least you tried and order them online.
Old     (tchs22)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-20-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
My Local pro shop guy tells me to bring in the lowest price I find online and he meets and/or beats the price.....so you just need to ask the pro shop what they can do....does not hurt to ask
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Dang, those are some pricey boots... by my calculations, a $150 price difference means they would be $500 bindings.

Like everyone else says, just tell them where you're at. They're in the watersports industry - they know better than anyone else that nothing's set in stone and cutting a deal is the name of the game. At the same time, remember where they're at: pro shops are eating it pretty hard this year as wallets tighten and lots of people opt for online wake shops.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-20-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
I would see if they can match price too. Sometimes they can't match price but they can meet you somewhere in the middle!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Doug,

Wakeboarding has become just like anything else, it's all about the money and companies jacking prices, I take whatever is the cheapest. If the local shop is jacking their prices or their prices are higher that's their problem...

These boards and bindings are not worth what they are selling them for. Example; last fall I was shopping for a new set up. My "local board shop" wanted 700$ for an 08 set up. I found the same exact set up online for just under 500$ including shipping. IMO shop around before you buy something, there are lots of sites out there. I just really don't care for the shops I go to...
Old    benj_t            07-20-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Always support your local boardshop. You will miss it when its not there anymore
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Amen, Benj
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-21-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
support your local shop. like the guys have said, if you didnt have your shop there you would have never had the chance to see or try on the boots.

just talk to the people there and explain that you want to support them and ask if they will meet the price.

i think its so unethical to go to a shop, try on the gear, get advice, get fitted, and then go home and buy online. shops will almost always match prices on gear if its the same model/size and if its instock online.
Old    dperizzolo            07-21-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
Your local shop might make any possible warranty issues less of a headache.
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2009, 10:58 PM Reply   
Darren, as a shop employee you are absolutely correct, no online shop from my experience has done any warranty work. Support your local store. I had a guy come in yesterday with a pair of boots he bought off ebay that broke after two rides, but since he bought online I cant warranty it. so what I am saying is BUY ONLINE = YOUR on your own
Old    dperizzolo            07-21-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
Ha Ha, I work at a shop too, I've just never ordered online so I wasn't sure.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-22-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
Bwog - That is not true. I've bought plenty of stuff online that has been replacede under warranty via my local shop. Now, yes, they were replaced by the manufacturer and not right then at the shop...maybe that's what you mean.
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       07-22-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
I would buy from a local shop if I had one. Since I don't, I buy from Grizzly Sports and they have ALWAYS warrantied stuff. I have never had any problems with those guys, as far as I am concerned, even though they are across the country, they are my 'local' shop because I know most of the guys who work there well.

Still wish I had a local shop though. It would awesome to demo boards before shelling out hundreds. Right now, I have to research, buy, then try out. Support local, if you can. If they won't work with you - save your cash on go online.