Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    stretch            05-26-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
I am trying to decide between a 2004 (or 2005 if I delay the decision much longer) Supra Launch and a traditional I/O. The Supra has the factory ballast system which means it has thru-hulls and also hard tanks and/or flexible bags inside the boat. Are there typically leaking problems with the thru-hull fittings or the interior tanks/bags or any of the plumbing connections?
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-26-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
The ballast system on the Supra is good. We have a 03 launch ssv and really havent had any problems with the ballast leaking, the only problem we did have could have been prevented by checking the connections to the tanks before filling them, which we now do. Buy the supra, it will be better than any i/o you can find.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have three years' experience with Supra's ballast system. There have been no leaks.

However, compared to an I/O, the bilge pump does get more of a workout. Partly that's because the boat is used mostly for boarding, so we get in and out of the water a lot more -- with a lot of drainage from the sundeck down into the bilge. Also, I am not aware of Supra offering dripless shaft seals, so you have to stay on top of adjusting the shaft seal packing. Otherwise, a lot of water can enter through the shaft log.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-27-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
If you are considering an I/O be sure and set aside the required money to properly turn it into a decent board boat, IE: tower, PP, racks, stereo, sacks/ballast system, prop (stock prop can go in the tool box for whenever you need a spare but it sucs for boarding).
Youll still be saving some jack but the resale value isnt retained like a V/D drive would. My buddy has a V and ive got the I/O , both are great in certain areas and not so great in others. Wake shape is very critical for I/O's since they vary way more then wakeboard boats do, test drive with accurate speedo/gps some weight/lots of friends and a decent boarder to get some good feedback on wake shape, width, and firmness.
Old    stretch            05-28-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
I don't agree about the "saving some jack" part. The I/O boat we are considering (Bryant 214 walk-through with 350 Mag MPI and Bravo 3) with the tower and Perfect Pass is at least $5K MORE than the Supra Launch.
Old    tommyadrian5            05-28-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
than that's a big ripoff
Old    ilovetrains            05-28-2004, 6:30 AM Reply   
if looking at an I/O look at the Rinker RX/1 (21 ft) and RX/2 (23 ft). You can get an RX/2 with PP, tower, high 5 prop, racks, speakers, etc, 6.2L scorpion for 41K out the door.

Of course I am still looking at V drivesthatcost 10-15K more. Hmmm....
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-28-2004, 7:07 AM Reply   
For about the price of the Rinker, I can sell you a V-drive well equipped.

Buy what suits your individual needs and lifestyle. There is no perfect boat. Every boat is a series of design and equipment choices that invariably do some things better than others. Try to figure out what is really important to you and buy the best boat that matches that you can afford. Then, and this is the hard part, don't look back - except to check your rider.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-28-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
If it is a boat, it is going to leak.

There is nothing about it being a wakeboard boat that will make it any more likely to leak. Take a wave over the bow perhaps, but not leak.

Inboards, in general, will leak a bit at the shaft log and might have a tendency to leak a little around the rudder post. All the through hull fittings and ballast tanks shouldn't leak if they were installed properly.

Then there is all the wet people climbing in and dripping in the boat.

Rod
Old    stretch            05-28-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
I have seen the Rinker and those boats are several steps below the Bryant's build quality. The only other I/O on the market that will satisfy me from a quality standpoint is the Cobalt and that is at least $10K more than the Supra Launch.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-01-2004, 5:27 AM Reply   
I would second that the Bryant is about two steps up from the Rinker. They package the Rinker well with a lot of fluff. The Rinker boats are laid out well but the are cheaply built. Neither is a true Ski Boat. They are pleasure boats more for cruising and the wife and kids. Which is what we do with the M/C
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-01-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
My first boat was a 94' Bryant 180. That was a hell of a good boat. No problems ever. As has been mentioned, the build quality was much nicer than my friends Rinker. Now the Supra on the other hand.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-01-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
any inboard is going to leak because the seal where the drive shaft comes out does not completely seal so water will seap in there anyway, it is just a problem with inboards but no that big of a deal.
Old    stretch            06-01-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tony, do you have a problem with Supra's build quality?
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-02-2004, 4:57 AM Reply   
I purchased a 03' Supra Sunsport (Launch SS) without the graphics) last year and the boat is awesome from a performance standpoint. No doubt leaps and bounds over my old Bryant but have had several problems that I have been having a difficult time getting fixed through my dealer. I am presently working with Skier's Choice direct and am confident that the issues will be taken care of. Nothing major, killer boat.
Old    00prostar205v            06-02-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
I agree with Stretch. Cobalt makes a very nice boat.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-21-2004, 8:50 PM Reply   
In board boats are designed to leak at the shaft. The seeping water is what keeps the wax rope seal cool and lubricated. It should drip about once every5-10 seconds. Minor minor amount considering it's usually at least 80 degrees out when we're on the water so it evaporates. And a minor amount compared to wet people. Remember, keep the shaft packing adjusted to where it DOES leak!