Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-25-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Damn it, I'm taking it in on Friday to have a couple of things installed so being that I wasn't gonna have any help today or tomorrow to pull it out of the garage I decided to do it on Wednesday. Well low and behold the weatherman was completely wrong . . . again. I checked on Tuesday and the ratard said 50's partly sunny all week through Sunday.

Well today, Thursday, its been raining all day, its 41 degrees and its supposed to get down to 26 tonight, WTF! I put all the plugs back in. I leave for work in 45 minutes and Ill be working all night, Im thrown for a loop. What precautions should I take? Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 40 and the weekend 50's.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
put a trouble light in your engine bay and forget it
Old     (gregtay)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-25-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
Did you winterize your motor or just "pull the plugs". By putting the plugs back in you didn't change anything (unless you ran the motor on a fake-a-lake.) One cold night were the temp is below 32 for only a few hours is not likely going to cause an damage at all (again.. i say LIKELY... because anything can happen).. but in general you need a good hard freeze to cause damage to the motor. Sounds like you at least drained the water from the motor... so think your risk is very low that anything is going to happen.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
I believe it RUH TARD...Do nothing it'll be fine.
Old     (venom93corba)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-25-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
No i didnt run the motor. My winterizing was pull all the plugs and just gettin all the water out (no antifreeze). The phrase " not likely to cause any engine damage" doesnt inspire to much confidence, haha. This is my first boat and my first winterization, just hoping it was a successful one.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Then you're fine if there is no water in there to freeze.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Cold does nothing to an engine, cold does a lot to water... without water there is no danger.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-25-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Chad-

Jeff is right on the money. A trouble/work light is cheap insurance and greatly improves your odds. All you gotta do is keep the engine compartment above freezing, 34 or 35 F will keep any water in there as liquid water. The time invested is nothing... Drag an extension cord out, plug in teh light, turn it on, put it in there a, dnclose the hatch.

Whle the block might be drained, there are other places where you might still have some water that could cause an issue. Keep them above freezing and you will be fine.

This is one time to not go with a CFL fluorescent bulb though..... You need the heat from an incandescent bulb...

Phil
Kicker