Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2006, 6:01 AM Reply   
i need some weight up in the bow, has anyone tried filling a space bag with sand or similar and then sucking the air out. I have thought about lead...but it seems that a space bag would conform the the floor and walls better than a lead brick.

any thoughts?
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-19-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
What would be the advantage of using a space bag vs a regular bag like a sand bag or plastic feed bag? Specifically, what would be the advantage of sucking the air out? I would think if anything, vacuum sealing sand in a bag would make it harder to conform to whatever space you put it in.
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Just that it may take up less space
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-19-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Sand in a boat almost always ends up being a mess and a lot of work to correct.

Coated steel shot is the best. Lead has contact issues. Concrete is bulky and rattles around. All weight denser than water is an anchor for your boat when swamped, so be very careful. Water is neutral when swamped - your boat still floats as normal.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-19-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
how about a "space bag" filled with exhuasted lead shooting range slugs?

I use quotes, because I don't know what a "space bag" is..
Old     (rhall)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
That may work to.
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-19-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
sucking the air out won't give you any more space. Sand will compact itself with a little bit of vibration from the boat. same with steel shot. picture if you will a bag of marbles. they won't fit in a smaller space just because you suck the air out. HTH