Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       03-26-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
As we enter the buying season, I have noticed a few more companies stop marketing to wakeboarding and ending their pro team support. I always try to support the companies who best support the sport. Aside from the obvious wakeboard manufacturers, which companies do you feel do the best to support wakeboarding and their pro team?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-26-2013, 5:23 PM Reply   
Slingshot by miles. They've been backing so,e great athletes on the cable side that are pushing things and boat too... They're all creative stylish riders and their team video was a reminder of all the fun and creativity that is wakeboarding, much like we see in the yearly snowboard movies but for wakeboarding. When ever I watch a slingshot edit I say "get me out there" which is what's important
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       03-26-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
What about companies that don't specifically make wakeboards?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-26-2013, 6:35 PM Reply   
Sooooooo like boat companies? Nautique does ALOT.pfor wakeboarding, they always support schools and owc etc... Aside from that most wakeboarding clothing brands etc are divisions of other bigger companies
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-26-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
As much as I hate their elitism no one pours more dollars into the sport than Mastercraft. They sponsor at least 2/3 of all podium athletes alone.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       03-26-2013, 8:56 PM Reply   
I was Thinking more about companies that don't really support the sport but people still support them a lot. Like quiksilver for example. No pro team.

Billabong and O'neill sponsor a decent amout of riders, but how many riders do they need to sponsor and where else can pros get backing?

I also think of companies like Dragon sunglasses, who have sponsored the same riders forever. Like Watson and ruck.

I also wonder where new marketing dollars might come from. I remember all sorts of odd sponsorships in the sports infancy. Everything from your more common sponsorships to oddities like adult entertainment videos and bongs. (Can you name the riders who were sponsored by those companies?)

I do worry that with the invention of energy drinks pro wakeboarding might have been over already

With that. Some more direct questions

What clothing company beat supports the sport
What wetsuit/vest company best supports the sport
What sunglasses company best supports the sport
And lastly, who else?
Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-26-2013, 10:11 PM Reply   
IMO clothing/ glass- fox. Billabong second
Glass-Oakley
Rubber- body glove.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-27-2013, 12:52 AM Reply   
Oakley for sure. i think they are the only ones that had a wake video made.
Body glove too
Old     (tdickman4)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-27-2013, 5:16 AM Reply   
I would say red bull, fox, and spy does a lot of sponsoring.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       03-27-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
I think redbull blows away everyone in terms of what they do for extreme sports in general.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-27-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Red Bull, Rockstar and Monster. You will find one of those stickers on every board, bike etc etc of every "extreme" athlete there is. They also support on the grass roots level.

I think the most overlooked companies are the local shops and small retailers. They arguably do more for wakeboarding than any large company. Without them there are no demo days, local tournaments or places to talk shredding. They also are the launching point for all future pros. Ask any top rider and they will tell you about a small shop that supported them in the beginning. Support your local shop!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-27-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
I can only speak for the companies that support our local events. But in our scene, the companies that best support wake are CWB, Hyperlite, and Malibu. The dealers (Etco Marine, Norcal Mastercraft, and Boat Country Escalon) are also awesome.

Non-wake-specific companies that also do a great job with making things happen locally are WetSounds, Chucktronics Audio, and Cire.

Rockwell Watches has been also stepping into the wake scene. Perfect opportunity since Nixon refuses to support our sport. Rockwell recently signed Rusty and JD, and are sending them both to our SpringRide event. They are the official sponsor of the DU contest.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-27-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
Red Bull
Billabong
UNIT parktech
Sesitec
Most other wake brands are just the puppets of boat manufactures to sell more boats... ie WWA (malibu) procard
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-27-2013, 1:07 PM Reply   
As far as board manufacturers go I like to support the independent companies like humanoid CTRL or any thing not owned by mr Archer.
Clothing would have to be billa, oneil and fox. It used to be reef and quick but not anymore.
Of course the big 3 energy drinks do tons for us.
One thing that gets commonly overlooked (like stated above) are the shops backing riders. The ones I see helping the most would be of course performance then ruckus, SMG, liquid playground and in my area Russell marine hooks up tons of local riders.

Who was sponserd by a bong company? I remember chipper beef jerky sponsoring for a few years!

Now we just need in and out burger to come east and get involved and life will b complete!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-27-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Duh, can't believe I forgot Liquid Playground! Sorry Austin!

LP does more for the sport than most anyone!

I would love to see what Austin would do with a red bull sized budget!

Last edited by steezyshots; 03-27-2013 at 2:38 PM. Reason: bc
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-27-2013, 3:03 PM Reply   
Weddington was sponsored by Vivid, wasn't he? Chipper was Charley Patterson.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-27-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLurker View Post
As far as board manufacturers go I like to support the independent companies like humanoid CTRL or any thing not owned by mr Archer.
There needs to be more people that feel the same way. My fear is if any of the independents get too big, they will get taken down just like Company.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-28-2013, 12:47 AM Reply   
Ohh and of course...

CIRE board shorts
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-28-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Liquid Force