Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-12-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
I've never been, but thinking about a camping trip to Shasta. Would be bringing my boat. Any recommendations on campgrounds near good water with good facilites? Thanks!
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-12-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Here's a link to all the camp sites on Shasta Lake.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/shastatrinity/recreation/nra/shasta/camping-map.shtml
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Do not go to Silverthorne. We just got back from a trip late June. Silverthorne is a joke. They are very unorganized and overpriced. I've been houseboating and camping 5 times out of Holiday Harbor and had a great time. When are you thinking about going?

(Message edited by actiondcpd on July 12, 2005)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
What happened at Silverthorn? I've had good experiences there camping and staying in the cabins.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-12-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
also silverthorn doesnt have the greatest road to pull the boat down to the water...
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
J-ROd,

I'm just finishing a complaint letter to them. I had problems with my trip 5 weeks before I even got there until the day I left. Once I finish the letter I'll post everything that I noticed wrong about the place the week I was there.

ALee is correct about the road too. I'd gladly drive the road if it was worth it.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
now I've only been to Shasta once (with J-rod and crew over the 4th) but I had a great time at Silverthorne. I hear you on the road but we look at it in a way that it will keep Wally's out. The rooms were nice. it's in the great location and the boats were safe there all night at the docks.

Now the band sucked and they didn't pick up our trash every day, but besides that we had a great time. Maybe cause I was drunk the whole time I didn't sweat the small stuff, but again we had a great time at Silverthorne.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-12-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
The perfect shasta "campground" (aka poor man's houseboat) is a patio boat with a bathroom and a bar-b-que. As long as it has a bathroom, "they" rent them out overnight. Better than camping and way less $$$ than a houseboat. Just plan for any cooking to be done on the 'barbie. Allows you to "camp" right on the good water. Holiday Harbor has an approx 50 footer that we have "camped" 6 on quite comfortably.
Old     (cathy)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-12-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone.

A patio boat sounds interesting. In the past four months I bought a car, house and a boat so I'm not really looking to shell out the $$$ for a houseboat.

Actiondcpd - sometime mid-late August
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
I agree with steve... get the patio boat or "party barge". It is basically the same as camping but you don't have anyone next to you, and can set up a tent if you wish anywhere on the lake. You have your own bathroom and can drive around. If I was going to shasta on a budget I'd either do that or go after labor day when all the prices drop.

As for Silverthorne, I'll have a post ready soon. I'm glad you guys had fun when you where there, I wish our trip went that well.

(Message edited by actiondcpd on July 12, 2005)
Old    mile_high_rider            07-12-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
A 50' pontoon boat is huge!
Old    dug            07-12-2005, 10:37 PM Reply   
Cathy,
We have camped at Hirz Bay in the past. It's about nine miles off of I-5 up the McCloud arm. The water is usually pretty good and you bypass the "zoo" that take place around the Sacramento arm right off of I-5.

The camp ground is nice, but no showers & the boat ramp is about a mile away from the sites. However, you can moor you boat during the day very close to some sites depending on the water level.
Old    dbritto1977            07-12-2005, 11:00 PM Reply   
Don't get me wrong! But I Love shasta been there ever since I was 4 yrs old, every summer, houseboat trip, but for your money and trip I think Shasta is a Top 3 Lake in NOR*CAL but the houseboats and resorts never really give you what you pay for.... meaning they need to upgrade their houseboats bigtime.... I thought Melonies had pimp house boats for there price last year and and we had a blast!!! Sorry dont remenber with one...But Grant can tell you we had a great time! We had a blast!!!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
the 50-footer is nice. Actually has two "bathrooms" and a wetbar. The rest is wide open. You can sleep lots of people on it. If I recall it was about $200/day.
Old    penny4urthots            07-15-2005, 3:51 AM Reply   
I have been houseboatin for about 15 years at Shasta so here's some info... You can go big pimpin or you can cruise a 70's style ORANGE dilapidated wreck... As for myself I like to go fairly simple and clean (aka functioning all week) too many bells and whistles can be a pain when they breakdown. After years of using many of the resorts I would say that we are the most happy with PACKERS BAY MARINA. It is located directly across the main channel from Bridge Bay on the NORTHERN side of the water. It is very easy to access from I-5 the people are very nice and helpful, prices are fair and there are no logistical nightmares in the marina to deal with. While there are a few other marinas that I don't mind we have found PACKERS BAY to be the best overall choice on the lake. I will be loading up my boat on August 7th anyone else plan on being there 8/7 - 8/14 let me know we'll hook up and party or ride. GOOD LUCK!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-15-2005, 6:09 AM Reply   
Ditto on the Packer's Bay endorsement. We have rented from them once or twice a year for many years. They are a family run operation, and they take good care of their customers. They have newer boats available, but their older boats are a great deal, and they are super well maintained. We have rented from other marinas, and PB pretty much beats them all.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       07-16-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong going to the Mccloud arm of the lake, i've been going there for a very long time and there is always good water. plus theres a cool bridge to jump off of if the waters up. my family roughs it and camp in tents at the mcCloud campsites that have porta poties and stuff. works out great. have fun at shasta, i'll be up there all summer in a yellow malibu, so hit me up if u see me.