Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-02-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
Last night I was winterizing my boat. After running it for 15-20 min to a temp of 150 degrees. I started by draining the exhaust manifolds. There was almost no water that came out and it was cold. Is this okay or do I need to run until the temp goes to 170 degrees? I ran the motor to run the fogging oil and stabalizer through and did not change the oil. Do you need to run the motor at all to just drain everything?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-02-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
It's best to drain/change the oil when it's warm. You won't get much water out of the manifolds in my experience. Most importantly don't forget to drain the block it will also have water in it along with the rest of the cooling/water lines. I also pull impeller housing cover let it drain, pull thermostat cover and pull my freshwater intake hoses on one end to let them drain too. YOu took care of teh stabilized fuel and fogging I would change engine and trans oil and then put her up. In the spring re-attach hoses, put thermostat back in and she's ready to go.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-02-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hot damn...lynard skynard is into wakeboarding? Thats awesome.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-02-2012, 2:57 PM Reply   
Sound advice. Always best to change oil in the fall as the oil has contaminants including acids in it. No need to let that crap sit in the motor all winter.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-03-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
So, there is no need to bring the motor up to a certain temp for draining all the water?
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-03-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
No because if it is brought up to temperature the thermostat opens and sends in more cool water to the motor/block. The motor/block has drains on it that you have to open to drain that water out.

Last edited by LYNRDSKYNRD; 10-03-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-03-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Depends on your boat I guess. When I drain my manifolds I get a good stream coming out. At least a pint or 2.
Old    9Drozd            10-03-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
There should always be water in your exhaust manifolds. Whether or not the thermostat opens, you always have water flowing through your manifolds, up your risers, and out of your exhaust. When you drain the water out of the manifolds, you may have to take and stick piece of wire or some sort of pick and bust loose any rust that may have accumulated over the drain port so the water can drain properly. Failure to do this will cause cracked manifolds in the case of a hard freeze. Do the same as mentioned above to both sides of the block as well. If you have to, you can double check all the water is out of the manifolds by loosening the hose clamp and pull the water lines off the manifolds (Note: you can also do this method instead of pulling the drain plug out of the manifold to drain the water). If no water comes out there, then your good to go.

Last edited by 9Drozd; 10-03-2012 at 1:33 PM.
Old     (docdrs)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-14-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
If you have a dripless shaft seal, most of the water in your manifolds will drain out thru the seal when you shut the motor down. Like above , its easier to suck out the oil when its warm as opposed to cold and it should be done in the fall not the spring. Make sure you poke the drain holes on the block as over time rust particles can block the hole and prevent all the water from draining out. Dont forget to drain your j tube

Last edited by docdrs; 10-14-2012 at 7:04 AM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
You will not need to warm the engine up to drain the water, but you should always run the engine for a couple of minutes after the oil change in order to circulate the fresh oil.