Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
I've noticed certain tricks have claimed a few knees over wakeboarding's history. Specifically tricks that end with a frontside 180 landing on the toe edge.

For example:

HS Front Flip 180 claimed Gator's knee in Mayday and Josh Palma's knee
HS FS 540 claimed Collin Harrington's knee and Dary Znebel's knee

Lots of tricks can blow knees, but seems like riders usually blow the knee of their leading leg. This makes sense for Collin and Josh (and maybe Gator and Dary too) because their front knee is twisting while it absorbs impact of landing. More pressure is put on the front knee because it has to stay strong to prevent the rider from falling over the nose in the direction they are traveling.

For those who are keeping track, what tricks did other pros blow their knees on and was it their front knee or back knee?

If you blew your knee wakeboarding, what trick was it and what is your front knee or back knee?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4137
Size:  45.3 KB
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
going out the front with a straight knee definitely hurts, I usually don't try to save it.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
I think its just time, i blew my back knee off a double up tail grab to case. It happens.

I have noticed they do happen with moves were the landings are unprdictable or your legs fall.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-08-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Dallas Friday

Whirly - back knee
T2B - lead knee
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Other than the preventive measures like staying in shape, eating right and good fitting equipment--when your number is called--its your turn. I had no prior knee problems and none since my recovery. I was taking a set like any other and then Pop! goes the ACL.

If you ride to avoid injury, your riding will probably never go that far.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-08-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
I cased the wake on a ts frontroll and kneed myself in the face which somehow caused such a force it cause my acl to explode. Im a goofy rider and I tore the acl in my left knee.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
FYI.

I did it on a tantrum off the double-up. I overcompressed on the landing and blew my lead knee.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-08-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
If you ride to avoid injury, your riding will probably never go that far.
But you last long time.
Old    mojo            02-08-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
FYI Dallas snapped her femur on whirly
Old     (wkbrdrchad)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-08-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Tore mine twice:
HS FS 360 - Front knee
HS straight air - Front knee again
Old     (wakezone804)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
I tore left acl all most on the same trick. Regular 540 landed straight leg and boom there she goes! This is my first acl tear and was wondering how long it takes to be back out there chucking your regular moves again.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
Its not "if" but "when" in this sport. For me it was warmin up on a crow, over-rotated, lead leg....pop.
Old     (rscott22)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-08-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Geese is there anyone on here that hasnt ever hurt there knee or body part wakeboarding?
Old    mojo            02-08-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
Tore tendons in top of my foot on an off toe 5. Goofy footed' right foot. Buddy shattered his ankle on a regular heel 5; goofy, left ankle.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-08-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
Tore my ACL and partial MCL on a toeside backroll. Front knee...
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2011, 12:43 AM Reply   
why do I read these threads.......
Old     (rscott22)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-09-2011, 4:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
why do I read these threads.......
^^^^^^ What he said. This makes me not wanna strap on my wakeboard. I snowboard all winter long and I am very hard on my body, but I never hear of any injuries like this in snowboarding. yes there are injuries but not like these ones all the time.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-09-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
Huge tantrum, lead knee, acl, mcl, patellar tendon tear and miniscus damage.