Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
I'm working on a deal on a 2000 230 VRS right now that has the potential to be really good $$$ wise.

It has no tower or ballast but I can add that myself (~$2,500 for tower, ~$800 for ballast) and still come in several thousand under what a comparable (Age, condition, engine hrs etc.) factory wakeboard equipped V-Drive would cost.

I'm turned on by the people capacity of this boat because just me, the wife, and kids is 5 people.

I've read that the wake isn't exactly superb for boarding but neither am I. I've been wake boarding off and on for 15 years with most of that spend behind flat boats and center consoles.

Just wondering if this is a good choice or would I be better off with something like a 21' V-Drive of some sort. Keep in mind that the 21' would likely have to be in worse condition with more hrs. than this one to be the same price as the 230 + $3-4k for add ons.

Thoughts?
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
I have been behind an 00 to 02ish 23' non-x something v-drive mastercraft and suspect it is the same hull you are looking at. That boat had the space and here comes the but...with about 1000lb of balast, the wake was clean but the size was rather diminutive. I suspect with more weight it would kick up a good wake, but really do not know as the owner didn't push it. Most 23+ footers literally need a ton or more of weight to put some meat behind the boat.

If you normally have a party of five, just about any v-drive will have adequate space unless you are talking about weekend boat camping. Having a tower to hang your gear makes any boat more spacious.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Yes I was thinking 2,000 lbs+ on the ballast.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-09-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Things are falling into place on this boat. The seller doesn't seem very boat savvy though. I'm going to see/buy it on Friday.

It looks like most of these boats have the 330 HP Northstar 5.7L. Were there any other engine options?

What should I be on the lookout for with this particular boat?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-09-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have a buddy with this boat and it throws a great wakeboarding wake. I think he has a bow sac and a sac in ski locker and 2- 750's in the v-drive lockers. If you can get it cheap do it!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-09-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
I have a buddy with this boat and it throws a great wakeboarding wake. I think he has a bow sac and a sac in ski locker and 2- 750's in the v-drive lockers. If you can get it cheap do it!
I'm definitely going to add a tower and ballast but I'll have to wait until I can replenish our savings before proceeding.

If you can confirm his ballast setup and what, if anything, he'd change about it that would be very helpful in deciding how to set mine up.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-29-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
BTW, I never posted an update here. I didn't have a lot of money to spend ($16k max) but I had cash and was ready to buy. I saw this boat on Craigslist with a short, non descript ad. The seller had no phone #, no model, no length, etc. I shot off an email to them and never heard anything for a week. I actually forgot about it then a week later she sends me a couple of interior pics. Anyway, long story short, she was pretty hard to communicate with but I finally got to go see the boat after a month of sending emails. The interior was in outstanding shape and the exterior was in above average condition with a scratch here and there. It was in running condition but not lake ready running condition. Was basically in great cosmetic shape (Other than being dirty) but needed some peripheral stuff done which is my specialty.

So I threw out a really lowball offer and got it for $13,300 with a few minor mechanical problems. I spent $600 and a few hours replacing the starter, belt, water circ. pump, raw water impeller as well as some odds and ends (2 trailer lights, brake fluid, oil change, trans lube change, 1 new tire, etc.) and it runs like a dream now. I need to have the prop reworked 'cause it vibrates at higher RPM but it's so much more boat than I ever thought I'd have at this price.

It has the LTR 330 HP V8 with 270 fresh water hrs on it. For being 10 years old the vinyl is pristine. I wet sanded the larger scratches off and then compounded it to a high gloss. I'll do a complete gelcoat restore in the winter because it's too hot right now.

Had it out 4 times now and it's perfect for our family of 5 + friends.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jeff; 07-29-2010 at 7:26 PM.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-30-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Stole it.... Nice job.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Nice boat for the $$, you stole it. I have ridden behind that same model with a tower, perfect pass and like stated 2 fat buddies in rear and floor lockers. Nice big boat that rides really well.

The only bad thing about those is the trailers were known for having a mono leaf springs on the axles and they all broke at some point. You need to do a web search and look carefully at the trailer axles. There was a recall at one time and they would send them for cost of shipping I believe but that was like 5 years ago........ When the spring breaks the tire shreds the fender and sometimes the tire. Nothing wrong with the boat and easily fixed but you need to be aware of the problem.

Check it out.

http://www.caroops.com/recalls-2000_MASTERCRAFT_C3.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77474

Rick
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-30-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Hey man I have an 01 x-30..same hull! We run a 750 on each side of the motor, 1200lb bow filler sac, and a 650 no the floor and the wake is absolutely monster! As far as your setup, if you dont run that much weight I used to fun 500s on each side and 600 up front and the wake was great, however i would recommend upgrading to at least the 14.25x14.5 prop because you will need it. Sounds like a great deal on the boat for sure! You should have great luck with it, ours has over 1500hrs and minimal problems.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-30-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
I'll have to take another look at the springs. I seem to remember from when I worked on the brakes them being a multi leaf pack rather than a single leaf.

1,200 lbs in the bow! Whoa! I don't think I could do that with the number of people we normally bring out. I've gotta retain the seating space. I was thinking about a pair of 750s in the back and then a 650 lb bow sack under the seats in the front. Would that make me too heavy out back? I was thinking I'd throw something in the ski locker if it was too rear heavy. I was planning on getting a more appropriate prop at that point too.

I will do a tower before the ballast. More than likely I won't be able to afford ballast until a couple of seasons from now.
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-30-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
IF you re-prop you will get up on plane fine with that weight set-up, the issue I have found with this boat is that if you have a larger percentage of weight in the rear it will porpouse like hell. Throw a bag in the ski locker, a bag on the floor and if you still have the weight issue I use weights under the seats. You will find that even unweighted, the boat is much smoother of a ride with about 300lbs of solid weight under the front seats.
Old    1lab_trainer            07-31-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I'll have to take another look at the springs. I seem to remember from when I worked on the brakes them being a multi leaf pack rather than a single leaf.

1,200 lbs in the bow! Whoa! I don't think I could do that with the number of people we normally bring out. I've gotta retain the seating space. I was thinking about a pair of 750s in the back and then a 650 lb bow sack under the seats in the front. Would that make me too heavy out back? I was thinking I'd throw something in the ski locker if it was too rear heavy. I was planning on getting a more appropriate prop at that point too.

I will do a tower before the ballast. More than likely I won't be able to afford ballast until a couple of seasons from now.
We have the same model only with Sport package. Twin bucket seats. It is my brothers. Be careful with the leaf springs. The stock ones were weak and snapped on us 300 miles from home. If springs are rusty check around the centering pin for cracks. His let go there twice until he had springs made verses the ones from Mastercraft.. We landed up shimming the springs with a part of a landscape timber (18 inches) and used large hose clamps to hold it in place under the trailer above the springs so it would not bottom out. we added u-clamps to hold axle so it wouldn't slip on our slow ride home.