Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-07-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
I have a question. I have an 07' X45 with the LY6 engine and a 14x14 prop. I hear people on here running crazy weight with their boats and wonder why it seems I am limited to around 1600lbs plus factory ballast. I know I have a lot of gear on board but with this set up and 4 people on board it really starts to take awhile to plane and if I push these limits sometimes it won't. Is there anyone out there with a similar set up that could give me advice. I know the 45 is a big heavy boat but I hear of X-stars running with twice this weight propped and driven with the same engine and wonder what gives. Granted I love my wake but I've ridden pros boats like Gerry Nunn's whose wake was insane and I think it would be fun to hit something like that occasionally. FYI I run 500 lbs in steel in the nose plus 400's in the back plus two fat bricks towards the nose which weigh 155 each. I set the tab at 3/4 down to get the rampiness I like. I am not 100% on that prop, I think its right. I switched from the factory to a 14x14.75. Wanting even more hole shot I upgraded to my current one maybe it's a 14x14.5 I will have to verify that and get back to you guys, but it was what Eric from OJ recommended. Are the stories with Xstars running 4k for real?
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
Something doesn't seem right. I have an old VLX rated at 325hp and often run 3000 in water and gear alone. Then people sometimes up to another 500-600 pounds and get up on plane fairly good. Does the engine sound like it is running strong, or does it just seem under powered?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-07-2009, 7:27 PM Reply   
There's no way an LY6 is underpowered... and that's plenty of prop...

Where are you placing the extra weight? You want to be sure it is distributed throughout the boat, not all in the rear... I wonder if that might be why?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-07-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
Trim the tab all the way down when you are starting and reset it when you reach your pulling speed. Going from a 14.75 pitch prop to 14.5 is not noticeable unless one prop is a better design.
When you think about the weight you're running you have 2200# of ballast and a boat that weighs 700# more than the X-Star. Add your gear and the extra fuel in that 90 gallon tank. That's a heavy load so don't expect a rocket out of the hole.