Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
just wearing!

Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
These are really good, you're taking this stop motion stuff to a new level! The checkerboard in the drop BG - AWESOME!!!

How many keepers do you get in say 100 shots?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I agree...the water drop is awesome! The first is a bit dark for my taste, but I love how you can see the board short pattern in the water stream.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thanks Guys,

Before I built my, sensor/remote trigger/delay timer, I would be lucky to get 5 decent ones out of 100.

Now after I get everything setup and the timing adjusted correctly, I get more good ones then bad ones and I have to try and decide the best ones to keep!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
WOW. I'm liking that second shot just like I'm liking this recent mtn bike shot http://www.jordanmanley.com/current/pages/200811_bikeger_hotshot.htm

The focused image in the droplet vs the OOF background is really unique.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
the 2nd shot is freakin' MONEY! that should be cire's 2-page spread in wake mags, w/ a pic of the shorts in the lower left.

$50 consultation fee. thanks.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Scott, that shot is pretty great too. It's so hard to actually plan something like that and to get the bug and the bike at just the right moment?? - pure luck is always my first thought, I don't know how else you could get that!

JJ: is that a macro lens you're using?

What's your flash setup? Are you using a diffuser on your flash?

I know the bug guys are always trying to get rid of flash highlites in the bug's eyes, I'm curious if that's a goal for you as well? I kind of like the highlite though, I guess I'd have to see it without to decide.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Scott, that is really cool!

Rich, I don't have a macro lens, it's an Olympus Zuiko 18-180. It can focus down to 1.5' so at full zoom, 360mm eq., it does OK.

The flash is a Metz 48-AF1, off camera. I trip it with a cheap ebay wireless setup. I don't think I used the built in diffuser on this one.

It's funny you mention the highlite. I had a couple without it and one with it. I liked the one with it better, what do you think?

If anyone is interested, I have more here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjakober/

(Message edited by jjakober on January 29, 2009)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
I think I would like your first posted shot without the highlite or if the highlite was just a little more muted.

That one you just posted doesn't have quite as much life to it as #1 (still great though - don't get me wrong)

you might want to experiment with a fong diffuser on your flash, I found I can get more effective light across the subject on my Canon MT24 twin flash with Fong puffin diffusers onboard. You can power the flash up much higher before you blow the highlites out with no shadows to boot.

Keep em coming! Your creativity is amazing!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
The power of the flash is the catch twentytwo when doing these highspeed shots. In order to freeze the motion, you need to have a very short flash duration. To do that you need to have your flash turned way down. I set mine to 1/64-1/128 power. The diffuser might require me to turn up the power so high that I wouldn't get sharp pics?? Not sure though, I guess it's something to try.

Thanks for the advice.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
Those are all great. Post a shot of how you set it up sometime.
Old     (supraride)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-29-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
Those pics are awesome. Nice job.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
Great stuff! Keep em coming!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-29-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   

quote:

By WCW (walt) on Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 5:07 pm: Edit Post Delete Post
Those are all great. Post a shot of how you set it up sometime.

jakober, don't do it! keep what sets you apart from everyone else to yourself!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-29-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Great stuff J Jakober!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-29-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
I hadn't thought about duration and the flash shutter sync limit and how that might affect what you're doing as well. That was one nice thing about the original 1D, it offered a max sync speed of 1/500th. I can see where manually adjusting the flash would be the ticket. It looks like you've got it figured out pretty well though.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-29-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
Way over my head!!! Love that 2nd shot. Nice work.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-03-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
DUDE THAT IS SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!