Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-29-2008, 5:06 PM Reply   
Hey guys. I bought a 07 23 LSV in the fall and only had it out a couple of times. I was just wondering what the best weight setup is for this boat. I have the 4 stock ballast tanks and the floating wedge. I would like to add some lead to make the wake a bit better. I don't want to go over the top with the weight, just improve the wake some. My old boat was an 03 SANTE so the wake on the new boat is very different. I would like to get as much straight up pop out of it as possible. I am not looking for my SANTE wake again, I know the wake on the Malibu is very different and I enjoy the long transition that it gives. It has made it much easier on my knees (riding with partially torn acl). I would just like to hit on a setup that will give me as much pop as possible. Thanks for any tips you can give.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-29-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
i would put at least 500 pounds but your better off doing 1000 weighted evenly throughout the middle of the boat, slightly more in the rear. i ride behind the same boat 95 percent of the time but my friends have power wedges on there boats so we can tune the wake a bit more than you can with the floating wedge.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-29-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
use the fly high 750 lb rectangular fat sack. it fits perfectly in the the middle. Easy, effective, and makes for a good foot rest. With full stock ballast and wedge you'll be good to go.
Old     (atropine)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-30-2008, 12:41 AM Reply   
I'm running about about 1500 lbs over stock in my 04 23 LSV. The difference between the stock wake and the wake now is significant. It is about the same shape, but just much bigger. I replaced my rear tanks with 750 pound sacs in each rear locker (in 04 the rear tanks were above the floor), and I have about 500 pounds of lead spread evenly under the side seats and in the observer's compartment and in front of the driver's kick panel. I know several owners of the newer LSV's have plumbed in rear sacs into the rear storage compartments so that the stock ballast system fills the underfloor hard tanks then overflows into the above floor sacs.
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-30-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys. Sam, how has the plumbing to the overflow worked out for those guys. Any problems getting both to drain and fill without a lot of air in the sack and without hassling with the sack all the time? Thanks.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-30-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
I have an 05 LSV and plumbed in a 440lb sack in each v-drive. It overflow fills from the factory (under the floor), and gravity empties back into the factory to exit the boat.

We also use a 600-700 on the floor and 2 250lb sacks in the bow. The wake is really big, great shape, and fun to ride. If you want the lip a little more abrupt, don't weight the front as much. If that's your preference, you have to have some hole-shot with all that weight in the back of the boat.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-30-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
I have the same setup with the overflow method. The vent line from the tank under the floor is attached to the bottom of my 750 sack. After the tank fills, the sack begins to fill. Then gravity empties the sack back into the tank.

This method is slower than dedicated pumps, but it is much, much easier and cheaper.

The only thing I've run into is the pressure of pushing the water up into the sack causes water to flow out the drain line of the tank. I figured these pumps only flowed one way, so I'm not sure how that is happening.

I added a ball valve to the drain line which helps the sacks to fill up faster. The only problem is if you forget to open the valve back up! I've done it a couple of times but luckily nothing has blown up yet.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-30-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
Oh, and I have 750's in the trunks with a 400 in the bow. The rears are normally only 3/4 full. No wedge.