Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-30-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Heres a few shots off the 247. This wake makes my bikini wet.

Upload
Upload
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-30-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
Wow! What weight/wedge position did you use and what speed?
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-30-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Is that my Walzer Andy is on? How did you guys like it?
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 11:36 PM Reply   
IM JEALOUS !! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT JPK IS ASKING? WHAT WEIGHT IS IN THAT REAR BALLAST AND SO FORTH???
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-31-2007, 5:16 AM Reply   
10.6 MPH
1500 LBS total + maybe 3 people
No wedge

Thats your board jrod. I didnt try it. Cant recall Andy's opinion on that one. I couldnt keep up with which boards he liked or disliked. He rode about 5 different boards that weekend.
Old     (jrc240)      Join Date: May 2007       05-31-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
Thats what i want out of my enzo. But i most definitely need more ballast in the back end.
Old     (bonefxman)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-07-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
I just bought a 247 and I am having problems making the wake look anything like that. Where is the 1500lbs at and why don't you like the wedge?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
My guess on the wedge is that it flattens out the transom (sets the transom horizontal not at an angle) and kills the wake. I'm not a bu owner so I don't really know.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-07-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
On my boat the wedge makes the wake taller but steeper and shorter. In the photo the wake looks nice and long, which is probably better overall for surfing than a taller wake.
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-08-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
that first pic doesn't even look like its coming out of a boat... awesome
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
Here ya go Jason and like JPK said about the wedge, also the wedge makes it harder to maneuver the boat, and eats up more gas.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
A little bling bling on the back

Upload
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-12-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Holy cow! That ballast is all lead!!?? How are your floors and hull holding up? Do you leave it in the boat all the time or do you actually take it in and out at the dock every time you want to surf?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Its a friends boat. He fills the ballast on the one side too. The first two pics are the same lead, two different angles. The lead stays in the boat at all times on a www.itsadoozie.com.
Old     (wakeguymp)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-12-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
where do you find lead plates liek that? that cant be cheap
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2007, 11:05 PM Reply   
The wedge won't hurt gas mileage near as much as all that lead. At least you can put the wedge up when you're not surfing or boarding.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
Why do y'all surf with out some kind of life jacket?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-13-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
matt, the guy that owns the boat made those lead plates. Melted it all down and painted them to match the boat.

nu bu, when that boats in the water there is never a moment when someone is not surfing or boarding.

KenW., we dont have to wear a vest in NC if you are less than about 10 feet behind the boat. The board is quite a large floatation device all in itself.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-13-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
"we dont have to wear a vest in NC if you are less than about 10 feet behind the boat."

--We don't have to wear one in Oregon either, but we do......

"The board is quite a large floatation device all in itself."

----What happens when your large floatation device hits you in the head and knocks you out?
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-13-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
The purpose of wearing a vest is not to meet the requirements of a law. It is to be provide safety in a activity that could be dangerous. Every year people drown because something unexpected happens while they were on the water. I'll give you two examples. I've personally had a wake runner come within 10 feet of me while I was surfing. Not a comfortable situation because I believe if the person was that ignorant to come that close to me, they probably weren't smart enough to avoid hitting me if I fell. I would have never expected a stranger on a wake runner being stupid enough to do something like that. If there was an accident, I would want to make sure I had a life vest. This year my son and a friend where surfing behind a boat that was putting out a lot of fumes behind the boat. If you get over come with the fumes, you would be in a bad situation if you fall in the water without a vest.

The odd are in your favor that nothing will happen while surfing without a vest but why take the chance?

Btw, nice looking wake behind your boat
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-14-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
"KenW., we dont have to wear a vest in NC if you are less than about 10 feet behind the boat. The board is quite a large floatation device all in itself."

Not required in Texas either but, is behind my boat. Can't imagine trying to get back to someone that is hurt and watching them go under and not being able to find them.

Edit: and by the way NICE WAKE!!! we offten ride a 247 wake and it is fantastic.

(Message edited by riverrunner on June 14, 2007)
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-14-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
For those of you who don't where jackets because its not required check this article out.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/319675_drowningbrf14.html

Just remember Better safe then Dead.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-15-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Im happy that you are all playing it safe and wearing a vest. All the power to ya.

Are we serious bryan? Has someone really been knocked out by a surfboard?
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for doing your part to help keep this sport alive and continuing to ensure to our local governing authorities that we are safety conscious.

Hey, maybe you can run at around 10mph and I can whack you in the head with that quite large flotation device you have there and see if you get knocked out.

Moron.

(Message edited by locwakeoutlawscom on June 17, 2007)
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
Do you wakeboard? If so do you wear a vest?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-18-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
Yes, I wakeboard and sometimes I dont wear anything at all.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
no one says anything about surfing in the ocean without a vest, so what is the big deal behind a boat?
Old    surfdad            06-18-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
Sean, you engaged in this rhetoric last year. Instead of asking people to defend the use of PFD's behind the boat, why don't you take the position as to WHY it's a wise idea to NOT use one.

http://www.watersportsindustry.com/20002_48.asp?submenu=1

The Water Sports Industry Association, whose members include virtually every manufacturer of boats and equipment promote safe practices that include wearing a PFD.

NASBLA has developed a model law that recommends using a PFD when riding behind the boat.

That is to say that virtually every authority and manufacturer recommends the use of a PFD.

And as Ed Sullivan always says - it's so easy to wear a PFD - Federal Cariage laws require that you have one on the boat - and the list of folks that have drowned while wearing a PFD is so much shorter than the list of folks that have drowned without one.

Please, why would anyone not wear one?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
i agree better safe than sorry, i will never wakeboard without a vest but to me surfing is different. ive even contemplated wearing my jet pilot or gooru while surfing in the ocean just to help me get to the surface quicker after being pulled under by a wave.

in oregon you don't have to wear a PFD while riding behind a boat so if i wanna surf without a vest than that is my choice
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
That wake is sweet!!!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
People can do what they want when they want especially if the law approves it. I dont wear a vest when I surf half the time, why I do sometimes? I dunno, just cause. I never wakeboard without one, but surfing has never been done with vests and to assume I'm in less control and more likely to be knocked out behind a boat than on a real wave in the ocean is absurd. I'm all for safety and I recommend to everybody on our boat to wear one when in the water, but they don't have to same as me. I'm skilled enough to know how to ride a surf board of any sort and feel safe without a vest. If you aren't cool wear one. I don't have to so I wont when I don't want to. Do your thing let us do ours.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
We do both just depends on the mood I suppose
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-18-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
There a counter sign posted at the General Burnside Marina at lake Cumberland listing the number of drowning wearing a life jacket vs. the number of drowning not wearing a life jacket. So far it's a shutout.
Old    surfdad            06-18-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
Again, I haven't heard a reason to NOT wear a PFD. Every major manufacturer, every state's safety offical that is represented in NASBLA agrees that wearing a PFD is wise. I haven't heard anyone say it ISN'T wise, right?

No one here is saying that it's ignorant or stupid to wear a PFD, just that you want the freedom to choose your own level of safety?

To me, I will always go back to the same question, why NOT wear one? You have one on the boat, why NOT put it on when you ride? As small as the risk is, when you are out in the water and NEED the PFD, it's too late to put it on at that point. Undeniably it's safer to wear one.

Why not wear one?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2007, 8:32 PM Reply   
cause it feels so much better to not wear one :-)
Old     (sledneck)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-18-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
skiboatdeaths.com

(07-18) Folsom, Sacramento County -- Mike Farr dived off a friend's ski boat into Folsom Lake moments after his 11-year-old son sank below the churning waters while bodysurfing in the vessel's wake.
"I swam as deep as I could and as far as I could," said Farr, his voice cracking. "I expected to catch an arm, but there was nothing."
"Honestly, I thought it was the safest thing I've done in my boat," said Sean McKune, 29, Farr's neighbor and the owner of the ski boat. "We had easily done this 200 to 300 times with nobody getting hurt."

com·pla·cen·cy ** a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

I always require vests behind my boat because I don't feel like heading for the dock with one of my crew at the bottom of the lake.......
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
I understand accidents occur... I like my freedom to do what I want. Why not wear one if it's already on board? I like the feeling of surfing with nothing on my torso more than with something on. good enough?
Dustin the kid was 11!!! Sad yes, but 11 isn't there an age requirement to a certain age you have to wear a pfd? I've been a lifegaurd for 6 years, I grew up 2 miles from Redondo Beach(the actual water) I've been a water enthusiast as long as I've been capable and I'm more than confident in my ability to tread water for atleast an hour... easy. Not everyone is me and Im not you so do what you will and I'll do what I will.
Jeff- Yes it is definitely wise to wear a PFD especially if you're uncomfortable without or if it's state law. If anyone ever says wearing PFD is ignorant I sure as hell wont tell him/her to put one on.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
It's a free country. Same argument can be had with bikers about helmets.

As for me, I think the threat of CO poisoning, even with turndowns or sideswipe exhaust, makes the risk of becoming unconscious higher behind a boat than in the ocean. I would wear one.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
Thats you I happen to know that where I stand 6-8 feet above and 6-15 feet behind the exhaust is not going to knock me out from C0 the levels are rediculously miniscule that far behind and above the exhaust.
Old     (sledneck)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-18-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Tyler- Which of those pics is you? One of those guys "surfing" without a PFD looks like he couldn't tread water for a minute let alone an hour.

The reason I posted the teak-surfing story is because even though it is tragic, (as a parent I could not imagine seeing my child disappear into the water) it was completely avoidable. And the poor father, who made the decision to let his son hold onto the platform while the boat was underway with the child wearing no PFD sued Calabria boats and settled for $900k. Then he went on a campaign to try to get boat makers to change the way they make the boats because him or the actual boat owner didn't require people to wear PFDs while behind the boat.

It's just one big lottery, those of you that choose not to wear PFDs while doing ANYTHING behind the boat are just buying more tickets than us "restricted-torso" PFD users. The grand prize is someone ending up at the bottom of the lake and Wakesurfing getting banned or restricted.
Sorry for the rant, I'll crawl back under my rock now.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 12:16 AM Reply   
The one with the tat on his shoulder is my 39 year old brother who lives in canyon lake.
Do you not get it!!!! IT IS LEGAL IN MY STATE TO SURF WITHOUT A PFD!!!!!!!!! GET IT YET

You can see me in my profile. wanna come tread water for a while

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on June 19, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
you must be feeling bold with those being your first 2 posts... and anyone on this site will tell you if you teak surf YOU ARE AN IDIOT
Old    surfdad            06-19-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
The one thing I have a problem with in terms of it being legal, is that there is a cost. If folks that choose NOT to wear a PFD (or for that matter not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle) is that in the case of an emergency, the populous will fork over the cost of rescue.

Tragically on my lake last weekend a 9 year old child drowned in waist deep water. Not wakesurfing, but she couldn't swim and wasn't wearing any type of PFD.

During the rescue we watched a life flight helicopter land in a parking lot, there were 12 sheriff's vehicles, a fire truck and an ambulance. The park rangers were directing traffic and local hospital staff were alerted and ready for the child to arrive.

The body was found the next day by county divers. The onslaught of paperwork and investigations still have to be completed.

I was talking with a county budget analyst and they told me the cost so far was 250,000 out of an already tight budget and that the final cost would probably be in excess of 400,000.

The parents of the child have nothing, not even the insurance to pay for any of it. When there is a drowning and a subsequent rescue there is a very real cost to those of us that ask you to wear a PFD - it's NOT free, it's not a free country if my taxes go up so that YOU can feel good. In the very same sense that I shouldn't be allowed to walk into your retail outlet and steal your product because I feel good stealing your wears.

I can't imagine that in any boats folks are going to watch you go under and not call 911 - he/she KNEW it was a risk and let's not waste this water - we'll alter the sheriff after everyone has had a run.

There is also an incredible cost in human life. Loved ones - parents, significant others, children, aunts, uncles, friends...all will have their lifes tragically altered by a drowning and with wakesurfing, what is so pitiful to me is that it can be avoided simply by wearing a PFD while you are behind the boat. It's also, IMO incredible self-absorbed to risk putting your loved ones through that when it can be avoided so easily.

Every single safety authority in every state, every manufacturer and agency associated with water sports behind a boat urges the use of a PFD behind the boat.

I would implore everyone - for MY tax dollars, please wear a PFD. If not for yourself, then for those who love you and who would be devestated at the loss of your life, please wear a PFD when you surf.
Old     (sledneck)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
Yeah Tyler, I have been a long time troll on these forums, not saying anything. It was worth registering to get my $.02 in on this issue.

Surfdad pretty much sums it up, why take a risk you don't need to take? It's just too hard to protect people from themselves, especially bullet-proof 21 year olds that think they are above the odds. The sad thing is, the numbers are eventually going to catch up with SOMEONE that surfs with no PFD, and it's those of us that are left behind that are going to pay for it.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-19-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
At least from Entrust, the 'legality' argument is a red herring. While it's may be legal to ride in Or without a vest, he's full of you-know-what in using that as an argument here. Check out his Shasta thread, complete with pics of riding in California without a vest...and a pregnant woman riding on the platform while underway.

I could care less for the safety of people who choose to assume personal risks, no matter how stupid. My concern is the impact they can have on our ability to participate in activities that politics often misunderstand.

When you come to Ca, please follow the rules for the sake of those of us who live and ride here on a regular basis.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Somebody's TOO COOL to wear a life vest. Sounds like high school to me.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
Like I've said it depends on my mood weather or not i wear a vest.I'm certainly not bulletproof just a better swimmer than most preteens as well as non bulletproof adults over 21. (that argument is the only thing any older person can come up with when they run out of ideas when debating with a younger person but thats fine, as long is makes you feel better about you dustin.
Old     (sledneck)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 9:41 AM Reply   
Tyler - I was the same way, I thought I was smarter than all those older people who were telling me what to do. As you get older and have more life experiences you will start to realize where we are coming from.

There's just alot of variables being thrown in and I would much rather be on the safe side in case something does go wrong. I know we are talking about totally "freak" accidents here, but once overcome by CO or knocked unconscious by board or boat none of us are a better swimmer than most preteens as well as non bulletproof adults over 21.

As an "older person" surfing is about one of the only behind the boat sports I can participate in and go to work the next day. Once enough of you young "whipper snappers" end up being fish food from refusing to wear PFDs and they ban anything within 30 feet of the back of the boat I guess there's always tubing.....and power turning!
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
"Yes, I wakeboard and sometimes I dont wear anything at all."

Prove it!

=========================

That is why rules/laws are made because, some people are too dumb to use common sense.
Old    surfdad            06-19-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
Gentlemen,

I would hope that we don't resort to name calling in this debate. I think that as a community of wakesurfers, what the more conservative among us asks, is to give consideration to all of those involved. As Dustin points out, often times legislators pass ridiculous laws out of misinformation. I don't think it's too much to ask, that when you wakesurf just don a PFD, please. In the event you just can't have that restriction, and it's legal in your state, then don't post pictures of wakesurfing without a PFD, that condones what many believe is an unsafe practice.

Is that reasonable? Please, for the sport and those who love you, wear a PFD and if you simply can't, don't advertise that behavior.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-19-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Last year we were surfing at Lake Tulloch, when the surfer, who happens to be an accomplished open water swimmer, took a fall. The board went straight up into the air, and down across and breaking the bridge of her nose. Although it didn't knock her out, it easily could have. She very much relied on her P.F.D. for flotation while she tended to herself, untill we got back to her. If nothing else, its one less thing to worry about(sinking) in case of an accident of ANY kind.
PLEASE WEAR YOUR P.F.D.'S
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Honostly I'm done debating this! If it's really that big of a deal to you that I along with hundreds of others in oregon surf without a PFD because it is legal, then perhaps your debate is with the state marine board.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
hey she wasn't pregnant, shes just a bigger girl :-)

yes i know i should wear a vest im not arguing that. but if i wanna hop in a do a 5 min surf set with no vest than that is my choice, im aware of what can happen. anything you do in life is a risk. you are never safe, if it was meant to be im sure i would die wearing a vest. i don't take extra risk but at the same time i dont hide in the corner either.
Old     (mk1201)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 8:48 PM Reply   
you know this whole societal costs argument rings a little hollow to me...it's a big red herring in itself if you think about it...

what is the societal cost (to taxpayers) of this sport where you drive a gas guzzler dragging a boat to the lake and then drive it around all day burning up 8 gallons to the mile and spewing exhaust into the environment?

the costs is not as immediate as the $250,000 life flight for the drowning girl but the cost is there and everyone who can't afford/chooses not to spend on a big ass expensive boat, which you purposely make LESS efficient than it already is so you can simulate a wave for surfing, they pay additional costs so you can have fun.

do any of you pdf cheerleaders drink alcohol? or smoke? or eat processed food? or drive your boat hauling 15 mpg SUV on a commute every day? and let's not even get into the 436 billion and quickly rising cost of the war for oil....

the point is that we all make selfish choices every single day that pass on the costs to other taxpayers so save the self-righteousness. this entire sport is a selfish activity that is passing on environmental costs to other people so you can have fun.
Old     (mk1201)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Jeff, I just re-read your post in this thread and also checked out your profile. You make custom boards and especially ones for your kid, who is a world champion wake surfer? That's rad. You seem like a cool guy and I totally understand that you don't want the mistakes of others to cause your hobby to be regulated out of existence, but seriously this whole dang sport and everything it involves (expensive, gas guzzling luxury toys, fiberglass boards and other toxic processes in manufacture) is pretty fricken self absorbed and a selfish choice, passing on costs to others so we can have fun. I'm sorry but your self-righteousness and all this ranting about YOUR TAX DOLLARS just kinda irks me and seems a little hypocritical.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
DANG!!!!! This guy is nuts.... I like it keep it goin agentmk and welcome to Wakeworld, the most understanding place in all the internet
Old    surfdad            06-20-2007, 5:15 AM Reply   
Yes indeed, welcome.

(Message edited by surfdad on June 20, 2007)
Old    surfdad            06-20-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
I edited too much. :-) You are thinking about Mike Walker, who owns the Walker Project. Mike has recently formed an LLC and I have no financial interest in that LLC. Your point of view is well taken, though.
Old    mpage            06-20-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
If you can recover the body fast enough, and they don't sink to the bottom. You might have a chance if some one the the boat knows C.P.R. A friends brother might have been saved if they did.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I know CPR!!!!!!!! Am I in the clear yet?
Old    surfdad            06-20-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hey Tyler, it's just an exchange of ideas, nothing wrong with that - so long as folks don't take it as a personal character attack.

Tyler, I used to be involved with the local chapter of the American Red Cross and I had an ARC certification in CPR - Mac makes a good point, sure wouldn't hurt to be current on that. Do you know if there is a recertification process or if you let it lapse do you have to start anew?

Ed S if you are reading this, does the NWL safety training cover CPR?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
You have to reliscence every 12 months with Ellis and Associates who we're insured through, where I gaurd. But we also have to complete a 4-6 hour inservice training every month to stay up to date as well as active victim rescues, spinal rescues, unconscious rescues, and we're also liscenced with the AED. Red Cross is a great way for anybody to get liscenced, but the problem with Red Cross is when you get liscenced and you sign your liscence, well on that exact date you sign it is the only time Red Cross will back you up if you screw up in giving CPR. Their liscence is only valid through them on the day you sign it, atleast thats how it was at one of the places I worked. If Red Cross certification is all thats available to you then by all means do it. But if you can find another source for certification, I promise it will be more helpful in the long run.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-20-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
In April of 2006 I took the USA Water Ski/USA Wakeboard A.K.A NWL Safety coordinator course. The instructor is a long standing USA Water Ski safety official, a high school teacher, and a certified Red Cross instructor. He was the school swim coach, he teaches a life guard course at his high school.

The course that he taught included Red Cross CRP and life saving techniques and USA Water Ski safety coordinator certification. His high school let him hold the course on school grounds using the school class rooms and pool. All in all, a very good instructor, course, and environment. I would highly recommend attending the safety coordinator class that the Indiana Water Ski Association provides.

The Red Cross cert is good for one year. The USA Safety coordinator cert is good for 5 years.

The point about using any safety equipment is that most time you don’t need it and you don’t expect to use it. With the exception of some extreme work environments and extreme sports safety equipment is there for the rare instance that you didn’t expect to need it and for whatever reason you can’t manage for yourself. Put a side dollars, taxes, and the law, don’t you want to live another day?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Red Cross Cert. is good for one year... but don't think if you mess up they're gonna back you up if you get taken to court for soing something wrong. Ellis and Associates has corporate lawyers that will aid you free of charge if you're in a sticky situation
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-20-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
All so note that all NWL (USA Water Ski) Sanctioned events are insured. Competitors must be members of USA Water Ski or they must buy a guest membership. Clubs are insured and additional insured policies can be purchased for sponsors.

Also, one of my regular crew and his girl friend took Red Cross training this year. Both will be at the Scioto Wakefest providing some measure of on site medical assistance. Also required at NWL events are first aid kits, spine board, and CID. Route maps to the nearest hospital and emergency care givers are required too.

My safety training included water recovery of the unconscious.

It's good to hear that free legal assistance is available. However, with the insurance policies in place I suspect that the insurance companies also have a pool of legal talent.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-25-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
So how about that 247 wake.

Upload
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-25-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
xgirl -- you forgot your elbow protectors and knee pads, but the kneebrace and dust mask were a nice touch...
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-25-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Is that a seat belt? I think you have to use a shoulder belt in addition to the lap belt...
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
HAHAAH, OH Doctor.....
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-25-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Are you a Power Ranger?
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-25-2007, 4:51 PM Reply   
Righteous!
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-25-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
you should ALWAYS wear a face mask, as i hear the bird flu is particularly contagious behind a boat...
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-26-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
This guy wore a vest wakesurfing for his first time ever. I told him it was the safe and politically wakeworld.com correct thing to do. I planted the safety bug in him so he also felt somewhat obligated to wear eye protection which is also not a law in NC.

He said he felt alot safer but was a bit uncomfortable.

Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
hahahaha nice
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-27-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
haha..Melanie are you stirring up trouble??
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-27-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
I'll be stirring up trouble this weekend when I surf circles around you

Old     (krich111)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
GET EM GIRL!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-28-2007, 9:10 AM Reply   
Xgirl, Hello Nurse!

And that wake is so very pretty, my MB surf wake is huge, but no where near that clean and long.