Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-19-2013, 10:46 AM Reply   
Ok yall.... I am wondering what a good starting point for weighting the boat with ballast is. I have 2 500 pound (I think they are about that weight, the guy I bought the boat from threw them in) ballast bags. I am thinking I should start with about 1,000 lbs in the back and 750 lbs up front. Its going into a 2002 Moomba Kamberra. Lay one sac on each side of the motor and the other 750 down in the bow storage locker. What do yall think?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-19-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Sounds good.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-19-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
Sounds like a good place to start. Thats the boat that is the Same as the Mobuis V of that area but with a walkthru transom right? If so thats a big boat and may take some more weight to really crank it up. Had a buddy who had a Mobius V of that era and i think he ran like 2500.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-19-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
Mine isn't the walkabout model... But other than that they are the same. It's just shy of 22' and has a ton of storage area
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-19-2013, 9:26 PM Reply   
Make sure tu push that sac as far forward as u can. U may want in in the walkway instead to prevent it from sliding back like it would in the locker
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-20-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
Yea I usually sit it down in the locker and it usually ends up in the middle of the boat, not so much in the front. Are the seats strong enough to hold that much weight? Also, how do yall go about with pumps and all that? My boat doesn't have any kind of built in ballast so am gonna buy a new reversible ballast pump that I can mount in the boat somewhere. Any suggestions? This is the one I was thinking about buying on ebay....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVERSABLE-B...item20cbb36e14
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-20-2013, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTXxRoss View Post
Ok yall.... I am wondering what a good starting point for weighting the boat with ballast is. I have 2 500 pound (I think they are about that weight, the guy I bought the boat from threw them in) ballast bags. I am thinking I should start with about 1,000 lbs in the back and 750 lbs up front. Its going into a 2002 Moomba Kamberra. Lay one sac on each side of the motor and the other 750 down in the bow storage locker. What do yall think?
Is your boat the one that was for sale in Canyon Lake?
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-20-2013, 7:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
Is your boat the one that was for sale in Canyon Lake?
Yup!! Guessing you saw it on craigslist?
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-20-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTXxRoss View Post
Yup!! Guessing you saw it on craigslist?
I sure did! It looked cool, I had never heard of a Kamberra until I saw the ad. It's a 22 footer, right? We just bought a 99 sunsetter vlx and will be on canyon lake this weekend and possibly other weekends this summer. If you're ever that way again, maybe we'll see ya out there!
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-21-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=petrie141;1823437]I sure did! It looked cool, I had never heard of a Kamberra until I saw the ad. It's a 22 footer, right? We just bought a 99 sunsetter vlx and will be on canyon lake this weekend and possibly other weekends this summer. If you're ever that way again, maybe we'll see ya out there![/
Yea it's a like 23 feet with the swim deck on the back. I'd never heard of it either, but low hours and a good price won me over on this one lol.... We are gonna plan a trip down to canyon lake this summer. We went for the first time last year and that is one beautiful lake y'all got. I'm about 3.5 hours from there here at Lake Whitney.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-20-2013, 6:43 PM Reply   
That pump is really slow. If I were you, I'd go with a jabsco ballast puppy. It costs a bit more but pumps more than twice as fast. 300 gph is really slow. The jabsco is what I used in my last boat and it was totally worth it.

Seats should be plenty strong enough, the sac will be spread out over a large area so the weight is distributed. A buddy of mine with a Möbius puts a lot of weight in the front. I'm assuming your hull is close enough that you will want to do the same.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-20-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
What is your wake boarding experience? That should be the first thing to factor in, before you decide how to weight your boat.
Just an idea.
Good luck!
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-20-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
What is your wake boarding experience? That should be the first thing to factor in, before you decide how to weight your boat.
Just an idea.
Good luck!
I've been wakeboarding for about 4 years now behind a 21' Glastron GSX.... This is my first boat with a tower and ballast, and my first time boarding behind one with a tower and ballast.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-20-2013, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'd say go out unweighted your first time. That's what I do every year. No weight first few times out. Get the technique and feel back. If you've never ridden behind a vdrive with a tower,you shouldn't weight it first time out
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-20-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
We've been boarding for a few weeks now already, First time we went out I didn't mess with the bags, but now I'm used to the feel of the tower and the larger wake and am ready to step it up a notch.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-20-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
So put the 750 all the way in the bow on the seats. I bet the wake will be pretty big. No replacement for technique