Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-16-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
FINALLY!

http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/2010/02/16/full-circle-scott-byerly-returns-to-wakeboarding/

I heard from a little mouse living at WBM that video should be up real soon!
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-16-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
He keeps looking more and more like russell crowe
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-16-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Good article. Can't wait for that vid!!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-16-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
he would be a sweet addition to the veterans division on the PWT.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-16-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
I talked to Byerly at the boat show on Friday and he said it took quite a few people to talk him into getting strapped in again. I can say he is super excited and I can't wait to see a little of the old school style come out.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-16-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Dude. That toeside front is sick! Reminds me of the HIT IT! intro when they flash the Wake Tech logo.

The Notorious BIG (Byerly Is God) is back! Lame, I know. But that's how I roll!

P.S. that wrapped dockslide is dirty.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-16-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
That is sick, we are very lucky to have Byerly Back in the Straps!!
Old                02-16-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
His "Mr. Scott Byerly" section in Hit-It! made me want to be a wakeboarder.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-16-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
His toe fronts are the best! I always understood his hiatus from straps on some level, but it is nice to see him back in the saddle. From the interview, it doesn't sound like he has done much testing for his newer gear for some years. The last time I saw a pic of him strapped in was when the can opener boards first came out.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
That toeside front was so SICK!! and I second that Russel Crowe comment, the dudes even got the badass attitude that Russel Crowe has
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-17-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
such a legend, didn't lose a drop of style. That toe front is so sick. If anyone out here has tried one, it is no where near as easy as it looks.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-17-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
So sick..... I tried to get him to wakeboard when he was in town last summer.... at least he wakeskated for us.... SO SWEET!!!

I am totally digging the pic of his boards hanging on the ceiling.... Maybe thats what I will do with all the ones I have when we re-do our basement....
Old     (tvreeland)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-17-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I can't believe he came in to the dock slide wrapped. I bet it would be really hard to ollie wrapped up. It was just over a foot out of water but he front liped the dock.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Sick to see him back on a wakeboard. I think that dock is at his dads house. He used to do that same trick back in the day.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2010, 12:27 PM Reply   
I'm confused. He has not been strapped onto a board for years? Not what they have been eluding to in the advertising.

"Scott and Butch completely redesigned the Byerly Boot in 2008 to have more of a classic sneaker fit for a snug and supportive feel"...blah blah blah. I also read something about how he likes his boots with more flex and forward lean....blah blah blah...I guess they are talking about how it looks not rides.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-17-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
He has liked his boots with more forward lean since forever ago. All his old bindings with Hyperlite were that way, so I doubt he had to even ride them to tell them how he wanted them built.

I agree though. It seems strange to produce all these new models for a sport he no longer participates in.

I even asked him at a boat show about how his board rode, and it was if he was offended and then told me, "I only wakeskate". I don't think he does much design testing anymore.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Image and market appeal is everything. Like Paris Hilton, she's famous for being famous.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-17-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Word, Tim. I definitely see where you're coming from with that analogy.

EXCEPT.....

Byerly is famous for inventing the Skeezer.

Paris Hilton is famous for being one.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
ha, that was hilarious scbrips!

Scott may not wakeboard as much, but his brand supports a group of riders that does wakeboard (and they kill it, too). byerly is a brand, but it's not JUST about what HE does. It's kind of hard for some of us (myself included) to separate that. I too identify scott more as a wakeskater and I asked someone at a demo about how the wakeskates did vs the wakeboards, given that scott wasn't recognized much as a wakeboarder anymore. But there are a bunch other dudes that push the wakeboarding side of byerly.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-17-2010, 11:52 PM Reply   
ayy tugga
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-18-2010, 5:47 AM Reply   
Scbrips,

Byerly invented quite a few tricks, the Tantrum to Blind, Skeezer, Pete, the Pete 5 among them. It's cool to see somebody revisit a side of waking/skating that they helped build after so long.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-18-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, Ben. Fat Chance I would have known all that already.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
^^^ Now that's good stuff. SCB