Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 8:13 AM Reply   
I was at Lake Powell last week and on my last day I noticed I was taking on some water. I could not track it down until the very end of the trip. It looked like two of the small hozes going up into my dash or into the heater were leaking. I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of this. At the first of the year I had my steering cable replaced and wondered if this could be connected. The leak seems to have shut down my heater and blower and my Perfect Pass was working erratically at the end when surfing even though the display was fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not looking forward to a dealer visit right now
Old    swass            08-03-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Do you still have pitots connected? I had a similar leak at the connection to the speedo. I'm talking annoying drips, though, not "taking on water."
Old    wakecord            08-03-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
Pitot speedo leako.

Pull off the air hose, trim the stretched portion of hose (where it connects to speedo) re-attach, put small cable-tie on hose.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
I was leaking pretty fast. About like taking a pee :-)
Old    swass            08-03-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Does the leak stop when you stop the boat?
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-03-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
02 X-star does not have pitot it has paddlewheel based speed. It is probably your heater.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
Pretty sure leak does stop when the boat is not running but it happened the last day of the trip. It looked like the hoses were connected to the heater. I am going to tear it down a bit today. My big worry is the perfect pass since that is the most expensive item
Old    swass            08-03-2004, 8:56 AM Reply   
"02 X-star does not have pitot..."

Sorry - I didn't know that. If you're leaking that much water, it's not likely to be the pitot anyway. It sounds like the heater is a better bet.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-03-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Heater cores blow all the time. I've gone through three or four in my 00' X-Star. When they go, they fill your boat with piping hot water. If it happens when you are out on the water, the only thing to do is to de-loop the heater core. I can now do it in about five minutes. You simply disconnect both hoses going to the heater core from the motor. It goes from being a big water loop all the way to the core to a small loop under the motor. Difficult to explain but very easy to do. Replacing the core is also very easy to do once you have the part. All you need for the job is a drill and some rivits. Just fyi, MC has warranted mine every time but I replace it myself. Saves me the hassle of having to take my boat in.
Old     (houseofpayne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
ditto Matt's post. happened once so far on our '03. replaced under warranty.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-03-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Protect the heater core from damage by making sure the hoses are well supported. Typically the heater core does not blow but cracks right at the fittings, which can be easily repaired with some solder and a torch.
Old    norcal_99            08-03-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Andrew, Be sure to drain the water out of your heater core over the winter.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Any ideas on the perfect pass or the blower?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-04-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
Although I am not a Mastercraft owner, but it could be coming from the rub rail. I have heard of this in the past, but the boat was older than a 02.
Old     (cowdoc13)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2004, 6:15 AM Reply   
Ditto Matt's post too. Happen to the heater core of our VLX. Dumped warm/hot water at the driver's feet when the engine was on. By-passed the heater core by taking the hoses off the engine that goes to and from the heater core and replacing then with one, 2 - 3 foot section of 5/8 heater hose.

Heaters are fairly simple in my understanding. Hot water from the engine goes through a hose up to and through the core, then back to the engine. Air is blown across the surfaces of the core to warm it. Making a loop with a short piece of heater hose will allow the water that should go to the heater core to come right out of the engine and go right back in. That solved our problem until we could take the boat in and get it fixed. Was treated as a warranty issue.

Not sure what to make of the perfect pass and blower issues. Would need more info as to what they were doing specifically. Could be water from the leak in the core was effecting the circuits or connections. Purely a guess/speculation on my part. Check the cable connection of the perfect pass at the engine. Sometimes the cable gets lose and perfect pass has trouble holding the desired speed when that occurs. No clues beyond that.