Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-27-2009, 5:31 AM Reply   
I was just in Cali hanging with some old friends and one of my buddies told me that he went to an auto/repo auction and scored the most killer deal on a 2008 VLX (35k loaded, 70 hours, mint) and there were at least 10 other boats there. One of the 07 X-Star's had a blown tranny (can't say that's not typical) but went for 10k. Put another 10 into it and wow.

Anyway, might be worth checking out if some of you have access to a dealer that can buy at some of these auctions. Most guys don't know what they are getting and tend to shy away when the costs get above 30.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-27-2009, 5:35 AM Reply   
Its normal for the Xstar trans to blow up?
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-27-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
Let's just say that I've heard of it happening on a regular basis.

Maybe that was a bad example, I was just saying that even if you had to put money in (any) boat, it would be worth it at those prices if you know an auto dealer that buys at the auctions.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-27-2009, 9:43 AM Reply   
I realize this is not the point of your post, but I have to ask...

Why would an X-Star be any more likely to have a transmission fail than any other MC boat. They all use the same engines and transmissions? Right?
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have access to a dealer license and have ventured out around this area northern california with no luck on locating boats.
Which area and which auction?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
http://www.auctionpipeline.com is one I've seen. Steve, what auctions did your friends go to?

Looking at the v-drive/trans in my buddies' 04 X30 compared to the v-drive/trans in my Vride... their not even close to the same. I suspect that transmissions tend to go out on any boat that is excessively loaded with weight on a regular basis. Or doesn't get serviced or even have the fluid level checked periodically.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on May 27, 2009)
Old    brycejay            05-27-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Auction pipeline has quite a few boats. Most in Oregon or Sacramento. I picked up my SAN at a Manheim auction in Tuscon. I have access to the lists and all the auctions so if anyone is interested just shoot me an email. brycejay@msn.com

Definitely some good deals out there. Prices seem to be going up a bit with summer approaching, but still some good deals out there.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
My understanding is that it's tough to get ahold of the repo's unless you have a hook up. The dealers are quick to jump on them and resell.

There are smoking deals at the dealers, too. Brand new Stars in the $50's. Brand new X2's in the $40's and brand new X1's in the mid $30's. Call the guys at NorCal Mastercraft if you're looking for a hook-up on a brand new boat. We just scored a great deal on a new '08 Star.

As for the X-star tranny's... No way. We've abused tranny's in every way possible on these boats, including running 4k plus pounds of weight every time we ride. Never a single failure. We're on our 4th star now. We had 2 X2's before that. No trans problems on any of them.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I assume MC still uses the B-W Velvet Drive / Walter V-drive combo just like 98% of all other wakeboats?

IMO there's no logical reason why a trans should last longer in a stock boat vs a weighted boat. The trans can only see the load that the prop can apply to it. IOW you just go faster for the same RPM when unloaded. On plane vs off plane also plays a role, but the load the trans sees doesn't change. Also there is no shiftin under load, which is why automotive transmissions die quicker with heavy towing.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-27-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Not sure of the auctions he went to but they must have been in the Sacramento or Redding area. He lives in Southern Oregon. He said that the guys wouldn't bid on much over 30 so it's worth checking out if anyone has the contacts.

The point wasn't to bash MC's (even though I'd like to) but I and 3 of my close friends have had really bad times with tranny's among other stuff that doesn't need to be public here...and simply said, the tranny's shouldn't ever break. I've had 6 MC's (4 X-Star's) and they would not be my first choice again because of the problems compared to other brands I've owned. Case in point, our 2008 is down again, this time with a broken tranny. This said, I also know guys that swear by MC that far outweigh my little opinion.

I also 2nd Evan. NorCal MC is one of the best dealers in the country, and they more than make up for any bad ones out there. I would say that having them service my boat would make me sleep better at night.

Back to topic, if one could pick up a deal out there at an auction, it would be sweet if you can get the hookup to participate. I would even do it if I had the time to shop and go to an auction.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-27-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Friends 05 x-star blew his trans at 700 hours. Running 3000-3500 lbs on a regualr basis.

The mechanic that worked on it said it was an issue MC knew about...they replaced it under warranty, some "plate" being bad???