Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 10:58 AM Reply   
Hey guys, looking for a place to start on this one. I have a 99 SAN and it is currently not starting like it used to. After having it sit up all winter, took it to the lake a month ago and it started right up first crank. Since then have taken it out a few times and it is not wanting to start. The motor turns over fine (have 3 batteries, fully charged) and it attempts to start but after about a second of sputtering it cuts off. After cranking on it for a little while and eventually giving it a little neutral throttle rev, it will finally start. Once it finally starts and runs for a while, it is good to go the rest of the day.

At this point I have it narrowed down but would prefer some advice. Is it my starter, plugs & wires (tune up), or fuel (possibly filter) issue? This is my 3rd summer with the boat and I have put about 175 hours on the boat. The previous owner told me he replaced the plugs and wires back in like 2009. Let me know what y'all think or where y'all would start... Thanks in advance!
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       05-08-2014, 11:03 AM Reply   
I was thinking fuel due to the sputter, you may need to change the FCC filter and take a fuel sample. I would still replace spark plugs though (2009= 5 years old), try and change plugs every year if possible.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 11:20 AM Reply   
Alright good to know... Should I change the distributor cap and rotor kit too or just the plugs and wires?
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2014, 11:27 AM Reply   
To me, there is no way it has to do with your starter. It sounds like it is turning over without problem (nice fast rotation, not slowly cranking) I would look at the fuel. how was it stored for the winter? Tank empty, 1/2 full, full? was the boat outside or in a garage? I bet that once you burn through the 1st tank and get to fresh fuel your problems will work themselves out. Next winter fill your tank 100% and add a fuel stabilizer to it. You could try running some Sea Foam or other cleaner with the fuel you have now to help clean any gummy fuel out. Good luck.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2014, 11:32 AM Reply   
Thanks for the insight. Boat was garage stored all winter (only about 4 months). Also, I have already burned through the old fuel and a new tank and a half and no better... I think it may be the filter. Previous owner didn't remember the last time he changed it. Said probably back in 2008 or so.

Last edited by iShredSAN; 05-08-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: .
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       05-08-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
could it be fuel relay
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-08-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
I'd start with the fuel filter. If that doesn't happen to be the issue, it's not a waste because it was due for a change anyways. Basically I'd start with things that would be considered routine maintenance (fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor)in hopes that it will fix your issue.