Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nick4)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-07-2013, 10:40 PM Reply   
New to the site, enjoy reading the topics. first time posting. I got an 04 v220 with merc 350 mpi, a couple times this year when I turn it off, it won't turn back on, sits for a little while then starts up fine. When it decides not to start nothing happens, I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key but nothing else, not getting any alarms either. The temp is midrange 175 or lower. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm leaning toward it being the starter, the solenoid is attached to the starter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-08-2013, 5:54 AM Reply   
If you have access to the starter, jump the contacts on the solenoid to see if it turns.... Sounds like resistance on the battery cables or the solenoid getting hot... Is it a Gear reduction PMI starter?
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-08-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
It's probably a bad starter solenoid. The only other thing besides a bad solenoid that will generally cause it not to actuate the starter when you turn the key is the neutral safety switch. Jiggle the throttle a bit in the neutral position with the key turned. Otherwise you can have someone turn the key while you jiggle the transmission shift linkage in neutral. This wouldn't be a result of heat though.
Old     (nick4)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-08-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
I don't think its a reduction starter. That makes sense though, usually will start fine after a few mintues of the hatch open, this last time was the longest it had been about 30 minutes. Eric, I thought that too about the throttle but hasn't really seemed to make a difference, just seems so random, and doesn't help when I use the lock out for throttle only. Maybe Ill try replacing the starter, it comes as a set with the solenoid and fuses.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-08-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
On my 2003, there are two relays on top of the ECM. One is for the fuel pump, the other is the starter relay. I believe they are the same part #. An easy fix for $25-$30 bucks! You could try tapping, re-seating, or swapping them for diagnostic purposes!