Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Hey all I need a bit of quick help so I can get this shipped to me.

Millionbuy told me a 4ch amp was available over the phone, but now they say it's on backorder. Sigh. I can wait a couple weeks, or else I could get this instead:

Profile AP1200
1200w 2 CH Amplifier (2 ohm Max Rating)
Peak Output Power (2 Ohms): 600W x 2
RMS Output Power (2 Ohms): 300W x 2

Would this two-channel amp work just as well? Both tower speaker pods plugged into one channel, and the sub into another?? This one is actually a bit more powerful.

Please let me know as I would like to make this change ASAP if this amp will work. I think it will, just seeking confirmation. It is a bit more expensive though at Sale price: $109.95.

Speaker Stats:

Kicker KMT6
RMS 150w x2 pods
Peak 300w x2 pods

POWERBASS PS-12 (PS12)
12" Single 4-Ohm PS Series SUBWOOFER
Power Handling (RMS) : 250 Watts
Power Handling (MAX) : 500 Watts,

My other thread is here:
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=80646&start=35
also this thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/664074.html?1236912362
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
So basically the fast question is this: Would this two-channel amp work to power two tower speaker-pods from one channel, and a single 12" sub from the other?

I know people put multiple speakers on a single channel all the time, I just want to double check since these are tower speakers and they power is pretty high.

I am confused about how the wiring would work. How would the wires from the two tower speaker pods be joined together? At the top of the tower, then through the tower wiring harness and the quick connect, then just one plug into the amp? Or do they run a separate set for each speaker pod down through the tower and plug both sets into the amp? Or does it make a difference? Sorry there are real newb stereo questions.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
No, not at all. A 2-channel can only be for the towers or the subs.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
your tower speakers wouldn't be in stereo. and your sub would be playing the left channel while the tower is playing the right channel, or vice versa. that would be confusing for some songs.

do they have a 4 ch amp? buy 1 get 1 free on the 2 ch? haha
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-13-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Salty - not if you flicked it to mono, rather than stereo. And having stereo on the tower speakers really doesn't make much of a difference IMO - we've run setups in mono before. The sound stage in the boat benefits from stereo but on a tower... 80ft back... its just not worth it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I would flip it to mono. Tower speakers wouldn't matter. The interior boat speakers would be run off of a cd deck in stereo.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
Well I found some more info on the amp and it says "stereo or bridged mono output". So it sounds like it can only do mono if it's bridged.

Dangit!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
Wake Mikey, somebody just put up a cadence 4 ch amp for 100 bucks...may wanna jump on that if you get a chance before its gone..might work for how you're needing it...if you cant get the wetsounds amp, those things are just insane powerful

(Message edited by silvermustang35 on March 13, 2009)

(Message edited by silvermustang35 on March 13, 2009)
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
mikey...check your pm's
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
that's what i saw too, greg

get both of the amps...wire your boat speakers at 2 ohm...you'll be sitting pretty. your deck won't keep up with that other amp.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Hey thanks guys I did see that amp in classifieds. I already placed my order though so I wanted to try and go through that store still if possible. A warranty is nice. :-)

So I got a Crunch 5ch that is RMS 200x4 + 500x1sub at 2ohms. Only $130.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
Double

(Message edited by wakemikey on March 13, 2009)
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-13-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
That amp (actually all Crunch amps are) is rated in max. RMS is aprox half max incase you didnt know.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-13-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
also mentioned a 4 ohm sub in the first post
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-13-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
Yeah I did not post their ratings because I knew it was max. I only posted the RMS for all the amps I listed.

# RMS Power Output @ 4 Ohms : 125 Watts x 4-Channel + 300 Watts x 1-Channel
# RMS Power Output @ 2 Ohms : 200 Watts x 4-Channel + 500 Watts x 1-Channel

Yes I will be running a single coil 4 ohm sub with the amp set at 2 ohms. I heard through several different sources this would not be a problem. Confirm?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-14-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
Hey WakeMikey-
Good morning!

That amp appears to have the power to do what you are asking. You will have a spare pair of amplifier channels to play with...

So you know...
There is no way to "set an amp" to 2-ohms; the speakers connected and the way they are connected is what drives the impedance load of the amp.

For that amp, the best way to connect the single 4-ohm sub and the KMT6's will be to put the sub on the sub amp channel, and then use half of the amp in stereo to run the KMT6's. You will get a little more power out of the amp due to the speaker impedance, as it is sort of between 2 and 4 ohms; probably pretty close to their rated power.

You do not want to bridge the amp to run the KMT6's. That will deliver as low as a 1.5-ohm load to each amp channel; probably too low. In fact you really never want to try to run the KMT6's with 4-channels bridged, it is just not a good idea.

Here is what is cool! You have a spare pair of stereo amplifier channels with the 5-channel amp it sounds like you are now hooked up with. I would seriously consider using that to run your cockpit speakers...

Good luck, be safe, and have a great weekend!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-14-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Hey Phil thanks for all the advice! I know I do have multiple threads running. I think this one's just about dead.

Ok I will send one channel to the sub, one channel to each tower speaker pod, then the other channels will run all four of the interior speakers, two to a channel.