Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (by03lsv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
This should be a quick one. If I wire two 12V batteries together as follows: + to + and - to - then connect one battery to amps. This would not run the batteries at 24V correct?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Correct, it would double your reserve and cranking amps but not increase your voltage. So with them wired as you have stated you would still be at 12v
Old     (by03lsv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
how would that effect charging from the alternator?Or would it?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
It would put more of a load on the alternator when they are drained. It would help though if you have a large amp or some other power source that takes ALOT of power in short bursts. The additional battery will help "absorb" this shock which can make alternators heat up and create a faster failure. The batteries will not charge as quickly but at the same time, they wont discharge as fast either.
Old     (by03lsv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Trevor, any suggestions on how to set this up so things work good and last as long as possible?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
It depends why your adding the additional battery. I would recommend a battery isolator or battery selector switch. This way you can completly disconnect the batteries or you can isolate the batteries so that if you run one down it will not leave you stranded. A switch also makes it nice for storage, as this allows you to disconnect the batteries from the system without any tools. I personally use the Perko brand switch and purchased off ebay for about $30.
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-11-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
I second Trevor. I am using a combiner and don't have to touch a switch. you can use them with a perko if you like for emergencies. I am using it with 3 batteries and it is keeping up really well. Lot's of combiners to choose from