Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-12-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
For the last couple of years, it seems like we've been getting blown out more and more. This week, for example, we've had sustained winds up to 20 mph for the past 3 days, and will have sustained winds up to 20 mph for the next 2 days. I've seen reports of a few studies showing that global wind speeds over the oceans have increased 5 to 10 percent since 1993, and that such wind speeds are increasing at .25 percent a year. I don't want to get into a debate about these studies, my characterization of these studies, whether these studies have any bearing on wind speed over land, or about global warming in general, but I would like to know if you are, or seem to be, getting blown out more regularly than usual. Also, does anyone know of a good sailing forum? Kidding.
Old     (kiter86)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-12-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
I am an avid kiteboarder and I have been experiencing the opposite. Seems like it is never windy enough to get out these days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-12-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
I would definitely say this year has been windier but we are getting a lot more rain as well. My favorite lake has been steadily dropping since 2009 and reached an all time low last year and with all the storms this year it is back to full pond.

I would not say I have seen an increase in wind over the years but I also have a couple choice coves depending on the direction of the wind. Maybe I just have not noticed.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-12-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
I've seen more wind over the past two years. Even a talk with my boss at his cabin he complained that between the wind and surf boat rollers that his lake is very seldom calm.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-12-2013, 12:47 PM Reply   
I agree 100% we used to ride on a big lake near us but between the toxic algae and strong winds it got less and less. another smaller lake we"ve been going to also has picked up over the years.I think we can expect this to continue and worsen with global warming and the more severe weather expected to be associated with it.Wow I just realized what a dark picture I just painted.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-12-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
http://hint.fm/wind/
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-12-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yes I've definitely noticed this over the last few years. And yes I also assumed this was a result of global warming. I ride just a bit north of Toronto. We've seen some crazy whether this year. One weekend it was almost 90 degrees, then the next weekend on mother's day, it snowed! Global warming = very bad!!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-12-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Everyone I know that frequents the delta here in NorCal would agree that the wind has picked up more and more over the past few years. We don't see consistent calmness until September-October