Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-05-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
I found this old thread which asks the question that interests me. The OP got 3 responses. Are there any other insights on this issue?

From all on June 9, 2008.

OP
The lake I ride at is currently under "no wake" due to all the rain. So it's been a whole lot of slow booze-cruises and drinking thus far. So basically we just take the boat out, and have a slow ride at our 3-5mph, listen to tunes and relax, ect. It probably takes us a good 45mins to one hour to complete a full revolution of the lake. Is it bad for the engine to drive at idle for hours at a time? I know that with MasterCrafts, atleast for the motor-break in, that its *not* good to keep your boat at idle speeds for long amounts of time. The boat I ride has over 130hrs, and is an '05 MC X-10 w/ the MCX.

So yea, is there anything wrong with idling for hours at a time? We probably go around the lake 3-6 times per weekend.}

R1
Won't hurt a thing.

R2
You may have to change your oil more often if you just troll around,check it a few times make sure it doesn't smell too much like gas.

R3
I would say it is better for it than under load or wide open.

OP
good deal, thanks guys
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-05-2012, 11:24 AM Reply   
I can't see why it would be bad? Maybe if its super hot or something, but I have to believe it would be hard for a boat to overheat from idling, especially with fresh water cooling.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
I agree, I don't see how it would be a bad thing. Motor should be pulling the correct amount of water to stay cool, why would you need to check the oil more often? It won't be burning off, it shouldn't be running as hot as when its working hard to pull.

My vote, your fine!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       08-05-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
With regards to your question about more frequent oil changes... What do you think a police cruisers hours are when compared to miles? Bet they change their oil less often and prob not full synthetic like you... You're overthinking it, you're fine.
Old    9Drozd            08-05-2012, 6:45 PM Reply   
It definitely wont hurt the motor. Oil changes would last longer because your not abusing the oil. Just every now and then you need to take it out somewhere you can clean the motor out and run it up through the RPMs.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-06-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
Agreed, no harm done.

As for the oil change, in a car that is typically changed based on miles driven, sitting still and idling means that the oil should be changed more frequently (smaller mileage increments) due to the car running for extended periods to no miles accumulated. In a boat, that is typically measured by engine hours, there is no need to increase the frequency.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-06-2012, 9:58 AM Reply   
Also agree no harm done...

Now on the frequency of a oil change it is actually based on the type ( synthetic, 50/50 or regular)... Then a time frame first (3- 6 months) then usage ( mileage or hours).
This is because once oil is taken from the container and put into a engine, contaminants start to degrade the oils viscosity and effectiveness immediately, even if not in use... So always go by a time frame first then mileage or hours second.. So say you put several hundred hours on it in say a month (idling and movement under a heavy load like surfing or wakeboarding), then you can change it.. But most boats only need the oil changed once - twice a year.. There are times when it may be more frequent but for most boaters this is a good rule of thumb.... IMO

Last edited by Truekaotik; 08-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.