Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kpm700)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-27-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
First of all, sorry for posting another "which boat should I buy thread", but having no clue about what to look for with inboard boats, I have to start somewhere with all the choices out there. I've read this forum for many hours, but decided I should start my own thread.

I've had a small Bayliner for awhile that we've had a ton of fun on, but recently went out with a friend who has a 2008 SAN and I wondered why I ever spent money on my Bayliner

Pertinent info:

-My budget will probably be $20-25K and probably won't actually buy until next year unless I come across an amazing deal.

-My wife and I are very novice wakeboarders. Even though we've been doing it for awhile we still get excited with simple things like clearing the wake and landing a 180, so we don't need a great wake, just a good one. Kids are both very young and probably won't be into wake sports too much for the next while and by the time they are, we'll probably be ready to move to a nicer boat.

-Wakesurfing is a must for me. I've only done it a few times, but I'm hooked.

-I'd like to be able to seat around 10 people

With those parameters I'd love to hear some suggestions on what to look for or what to avoid. Any help\advice would be much appreciated.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
moombas are great boats for both. and you can get alot newer one for the same money as one of the "big 3" also require less weight than many other boats. the LSV(moomba) also has more interior floor space than the axis A22 if you plan to bring family or freinds.
get a 06+ LSV it has the newest hull.

surf wake (we now run a hair faster for a rounder top shape and longer pocket, pic 10.0mph, now 10.7 mph)

i would also recomend getting a boat with a trim tab/wake plate/whatever you want to call it. with family moving around in the boat, crossing open water, and wanting to keep the nose down at low speeds for novice wakeboarders learning to clear the wake at lower speeds this is really important IMO.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 09-27-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Boats I would consider in that price range:

-1999-2002 Tige 21v/2100V-good starter inboard, solid wakeboard wake, ok build quality, good surf wake, can be had for 15-25k depending on year, options, condition. Most had the single worst tower ever put on wakeboats.
-2003-2005 Tige 22V-a lot harder to come by for that price but I have seen them out there. REally good surf boat, better quality then the older ones and no terrible tower.
-2000-current Calabria ProV-Huge interior, low profile, good quality, great ballast system(will need sacks for surfing), pretty good surf wake, early 2000's should be able to be had for 20-25k.
-2002-current Sanger V230-good boat, big rear compartments for surf sacks, very good rep on wakeworld, should be able to be found for 20-25k in early to mid 2000's.
-2004-current Sanger V215-Same as V230 just a foot and a half shorter, Tought to find for that price but might be able to find a 04 or 05 for 25ish.
-04-current Moomba XLV-There is a very outside shot you could find an 04 or 05 for under 30k but probably not. Big boat, some stuff feels and looks cheaper then others but overall good big boat.

I am not sure any of the big 3 made boats in the early 2000's that would be in your price range and good surf boats. Boats that come to mind in that price range are the original Xstar, X10, X30, Nautique SAN210, Malibu VLX, LSV. All these are nice boats and most are great wakeboarding boats but a lot of them are small and not known for their surf ability. The older Supra 22SSV's were also nice boats but not sure about their surfing ability.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
i would definatly not recomend the moomba XLV. know horrible wakeboard wake. unless you like riding 24mph+
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-27-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
get a 06+ LSV it has the newest hull.
Good luck finding one for 25k, lol.

I was in your EXACT same position earlier this year. Picked up our 01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. 330HRS, almost fully loaded (heater, docking lights, pop-up cleats, etc.) + the hard to find and super desireable Corvette LS1 option, boat was in good condition just needing a few minor things for 20k.

You should be able to find a 21' Malibu V-drive 2003 or older for your budget pretty easily. Passed up on an 03 Wakesetter locally we could have got for probably 22k because it had a lot higher hours, base motor, no wakeplate (removed), and no heater (wife really wanted the heater...and she paid for 1/2 so she got a dang heater!). That boat was in really good shape though, dual battery upgrade, upgraded ballast, 2 Wetsounds tower speakers (but no amps, lol).

I found some higher hour 04-05 Sangers for that price, but hard to come by. Found an 07 Gekko (I have no clue how those ride, since no one seems to have them) for 21k but sold before I could make any real negotiations to look at it. The late 90's, early 00's Tiges can be had for a good price, but the towers are total crap so plan to replace it, as it may already be broken...one that sold before I could look already had a broken tower. You can find a high-hour 98-01 X-star for that, but it will likely be well worn. MIght find a few other Mastercrafts, but they tend to go for a bit more money. May find a Centurion you like for the price as well.

If you want to get more bang for your buck and don't mind putting in a little work on the boat, get a good boat that doesn't have a tower or ballast, and add it yourself. You'll likely save a bunch of money, and get the exact tower you want and the exact ballast setup you want. I'm totally re-doing the ballast in ours this winter to be exactly how I want it.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-28-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
yeah my mistake for under 25K look into the 03+
Old     (kpm700)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-28-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. It definitely gives me some direction and gives me some ideas of what to look for.

From the boats you guys have recommended, I'm guessing that surfing behind a direct drive isn't ideal?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
yeah my mistake for under 25K look into the 03+
Isn't an 02 to 05 mobius LSV the same boat as the 06-08 outback V and 02-05 outback LSV?

All of those should have the same hull.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-28-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Malibu Sunsetter VLX / wakesetter / vride will probably fit your budget (probably stretching for a vride, but early 2000s you might be able to find the right wintertime deal). For 10 people, though, you'd better all be good friends. It's TIGHT in there with that many people.

I doubt this one is still available, but you get the idea: http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/2554196274.html
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-28-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
EDIT -- that vlx is still available and has been listed for nearly 6 weeks. there might be a deal to be had...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-28-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
And it turns out it's stored with a storage guy I know who also has a service dept that I trust. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.... can't believe a low hours vlx is languishing like that. I sold my vride in a day in July.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
One of the better deals I have seen on a Vride. Even if it has high hours. Great color combo, wedge, ballast, PP, nice tower, upgraded engine, nice trailer, etc...
http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/2599330087.html
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=2114
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Brett,
I saw that ad as well and was thinking that it looked like a great value. If I was boatless right now I would be all over that one...
Old     (kpm700)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
And it turns out it's stored with a storage guy I know who also has a service dept that I trust. I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.... can't believe a low hours vlx is languishing like that. I sold my vride in a day in July.
Thanks so much for the offer. I'd love to go after that in a heartbeat, but unfortunately if I was to buy something right now it'd be in the sub $20K range. I'm going to have to wait until spring or so for the $25k-ish range because I really don't want to finance.

I did come across this boat locally:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&search=malibu

It's a direct drive, and seating isn't ideal for my situation, but I'm willing to compromise for the right deal.

Or would I be better off saving for a few more months and going with something like the ones you guys linked to or a v-drive like this one:

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm700 View Post
Thanks so much for the offer. I'd love to go after that in a heartbeat, but unfortunately if I was to buy something right now it'd be in the sub $20K range. I'm going to have to wait until spring or so for the $25k-ish range because I really don't want to finance.

I did come across this boat locally:

It's a direct drive, and seating isn't ideal for my situation, but I'm willing to compromise for the right deal.

Or would I be better off saving for a few more months and going with something like the ones you guys linked to or a v-drive like this one:

Those boats are basically the same boat other then the XTi has a weird seating arangement. Are you actually in the I would take the cheap regular wakesetter over the xti for that price difference. If I was going to spend 22-25k I would hunt for a while for a vdrive. Those boats have the same hull so you aren't getting anything different there. They have the same hull as the upt to 04 vlx and 05-08 vride so they are both goign to throw great wakes with extra weight. Go take a look at them though and drive both.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
Here are a couple other boats in Mohave county. not sure how far that is from you.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/boa/2585870985.html

I forgot to mention though that it is either hard or scary to get a good surf wake out of most direct drives.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Not sure how far tucson is but this is one of the ones I suggested earlier. The biggest downfalls are that you will probably have to add ballast, PP and at some point swap out the tower. It is a very roomy boat that will throw an awesome surf wave. It also has had the interior replaced which was a weak point of these.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/boa/2617944219.html

Here is a another malibu that is a direct drive, same hull as the other one's you posted but newer and nicer. OK price.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2600401166.html

This is a really nice option that I mentioned before as well.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2611482109.html

Good option although I think the price is too high. Should be clsoer to 22.5.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/boa/2580038634.html

Smoking deal on this newer hull mobius LSV
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/2549192797.html

Looks like pheonix is the place to look.
Old     (kpm700)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ooops, I thought the second boat I linked to was a v-drive, the seating arrangement through me off.

Thank you so much for the help and links. Phoenix is only about 6 hours away, so it's definitely do-able.

Would it be a complete PITA to surf behind that first black and orange wakesetter I linked to?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
If you are really into surfing the best cheap boat would be Tige 22v, Tige 24v, Centurion Avalanche and Sanger v215. All are proven and can be found cheap. Look for at least 330hp motor. The 24v in the classifieds is a steal!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm700 View Post
Ooops, I thought the second boat I linked to was a v-drive, the seating arrangement through me off.

Thank you so much for the help and links. Phoenix is only about 6 hours away, so it's definitely do-able.

Would it be a complete PITA to surf behind that first black and orange wakesetter I linked to?
We surfed my buddies XTi(same hull) last summer real quick. It wasn't a great wave but we didnt' have any extra weight really. I would think if you filled the front locker ballast, rear ballast, put a sack in the rear locker and added a 500-750 to the surf side next to the doghouse it would throw a decent surf wake. That is just a guess though.

Duffy, there is something funny about that 24v. I am thinking it might be a salt water boat and that Monster tower just blows the whole look of it. IT would be a huge great surf boat though.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
My 24v didn't come with a tower and you could order it that way. I have an illusion tower and it's rocks! I would have that boat inspected and buy it in a heartbeat. I would rip that tower off and put something else on.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
Duffy, off topic but I went to the Zach Brown Concert at the gorge a couple weekends ago and the person that parked next to us had a sweatshirt from your brewery. You didnt' by chance go to that concert did you?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
No I didn't, but that is funny. I know a bunch of people that went though.