Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-26-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
Just bought a new used mastercraft x star 2001. Looking to upgrade the prop i noticed something strange. Finding an empty key way and what looks like a welding on makeshift key on the shaft. My other two centurions only had one key way. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-26-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
It looks like someone lost a prop and it damaged the original key way. I have had new key ways on different things but never a prop shaft. But I would think if the prop fits tight and you don't have any vibrations you should be ok.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-27-2011, 3:55 AM Reply   
That looks bad. Run it until it does not work and replace it the right way. If you have any vibration, replace it right away to avoid a major repair bill.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-27-2011, 4:23 AM Reply   
What is going on with the strut bolts? Looks like bolts and washers? seriously? I see some gel cracks there as well. This thing may have hit bottom pretty hard. i wonder what else is going on with this boat? Probably more than we see here. And yeah, the shaft is ghetto.
I would check the other end for ugliness too. I also suggest soaping up the bearing, fire it up on a fake lake and throw it in gear. Look for a wobble at the taper. It should run dead straight. i would fix everything now before you loose a 500$ prop and get towed back to shore one day.

buyer beware.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-27-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be concerned. PO surely hit something at some point, so just go over the repair to be sure it's all good. Pull the shaft and check the runout. I would be concerned with anything more than .003"-.004" runout. If shaft is straight, check the taper for burrs or anything not smooth, and file/polish as needed. Ensure the prop seats fully on the taper, if not file the key as needed to get it seated. Then install and align the engine and good to go. Check the strut for bent, but if it looks straight adn you can get the engine aligned within .003" or so I wouldn't sweat it.
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-27-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
I thought it didn't look normal. I am just gonna buy a new shaft and prop to make sure everything is new before i mess something else up. @Baitkiller. Yea this boat was in pretty bad shape. Bought the boat for 10k knowing it needs some work. Motor is strong,transmission rebuilt last year by the owner. A lot of small things that could turn into something major if not taken care of.

Anyone know anything about those A.R.E. shaft systems that skidim sells or should i just go back with factory shaft?
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-27-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
The A.R.E. shaft system in Skidim is built by Elberts Marine. http://elberts.com/propellers.htm

Elbertts is probably the BEST marine company I have every worked with. And the quality of their product literally has not comparison in my book!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-28-2011, 4:24 AM Reply   
I thought Mastercrafts had splined shafts?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-28-2011, 4:43 AM Reply   
Later years for splined shafts.