Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
I noticed that there are a few Canadians at the U.S. national tournament, and that Kevin Henshaw "won" the Jr. Men's (at least had the highest score). I'm all for Canadians pushing the sport, but I thought the national tournament was for U.S. citizens. Both Chad Sharpe and Rusty Malinoski advanced, but if they can't win (like Kevin) arn't they just taking a spot away from someone else in that heat who could potentially win ie a U.S. citizen. Just so you know I'm Canadian, and I think it's great that our guys are starting to kick a$$, but I know I'd be pretty pissed if I was one spot out of advancing and someone ahead of me who did advance wasn't even eligible to win. I was at Canadian nationals last year and didn't see any U.S. guys there. Just my 2 cents.
Old    r_dub            08-23-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Ok, every country in the world already thinks we are elitist. That would not be helping matters at all. By the way, Paul Hamm (male gymnist)should give up his gold metal to that South Korean. He had a chance to make himself and the US look good by doing the right thing and he blew it. He could have been remembered as the guy with the heart of gold who showed good sportsman ship. Instead he will be remembered as the guy who won gold but didnt deserve it.
Sorry, a little off the subject there.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-23-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
Both you guys are absolutely right!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-23-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Yea, and why'd they single out the Canadians and not the Aussies!?! Conspiracy.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-23-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
You have to remember that Nationals is also a Vans Triple Crown event, which is open to the entire world. The folks from outside the U.S. are not "taking away" spots from the U.S. athletes. There positions are simply disregarded when it comes to qualifying for Worlds.

So Kevin Henshaw won the Junior Men's event for the second stop of the Vans Triple Crown, but he didn't place for the U.S. Nationals. Derek Conway won the U.S. Nationals Junior Men title.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-24-2004, 12:25 AM Reply   
Wakeboard Nationals in every country has people from outside that country. Like last weekend at UK Nationals, they people form Aus' South Africa, Argentina.

And its the same as Dave said, the internatonals are disregarded when they are picking people for the team to go to worlds.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
At the nationals, only the amatuer riders can't podium, they can ride in the event for fun.

The Pro riders can actually win their event.