Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jetty)      Join Date: May 2013       05-01-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
Hey all!

Has anyone seen or tried one of these out? It's an aftermarket Drain Plug Warning System. Ever since last year when I forgot to put in my stupid drain plug and fried my starter, I've been trying to find something like this. It's at bshoremarine.com For only $50 it's cheap insurance. And my start cost 4x that!

I just didn't know if anyone knows of anything else, or has checked these guys out.

Let me know.....
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-01-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
I connect mine to the boat keys cost like $2
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-01-2013, 11:35 AM Reply   
I keep mine in the drivers cup holder... Guaranteed not to forget..
Old     (jetty)      Join Date: May 2013       05-01-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
But I'm looking for something that will tell me it's actually in or not before it's too late. I keep mine connected to the boat keys too. And I hang one off my transom straps to remind me. When it happened to me I pulled it off the keys to put it in, went back there to put it in. But, I was distracted by my daughter when she tripped climbing into the boat. I set it down on the trailer to go help her. Launched as normal and didn't realize until too late. Water up to the carpets. Water was only 50 degrees so I couldnt jump in to install my back up. Couldn't restart because water fried the starter. I was stranded! And taking on cold water! I still keep it in a spot to remind me to put it in. But, I'm looking for something to scream at me when I start up to take off saying.... "Hey your drain plug isn't in!" Or some type of an alarm. Looks like the one on bshoremarine.com is exactly that. First one I've ever seen. And trust me, I'm not that inexperienced hack boater with no clue. I've been boating for years. I trailer out to the launches 15-20 times a season. I have launching check lists, I hang the plug in places to reminder me to install it. I make sure all my gear is loaded before approacing the ramp. I make sure all my straps are released and I know I have to put that plug in. But, unfortunately I still forgot it. And I'm not to proud to admit it. And i'm not too naive to think it won't ever happen again. This drain plug warning system on bshoremarine.com looks like the answer. I just didn't know if anyone else has seen anything like it or anything else to help prevent this happening again.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-01-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
I think if the bilge pump kicks on... Then your plug is out... Get a bilge pump float switch and hook it up to the idiot light on the dash....
Old     (jetty)      Join Date: May 2013       05-01-2013, 1:14 PM Reply   
Exactly. I want to avoid all that completely. I want to know before a bilge pump comes on. Water flow from the plug hole can overwhelm a bilge pump. I don't want to put a float switch in. They fail way too easy and cost about the same as this Bshoremarine.com system. And i don't want to be splicing into any wiring in the bilge or rigging into any lights in my dash. I have a bilge pump that turns on when when it senses water.... I wasn't out on the water that long when all this happened, and I just hadn't turned it on yet. For the cost of all that and the hassle, this one on bshoremarine.com is a no brainer. Even in the circumstance I was in last spring the bilge was running to try and keep up. Killed the battery. Then no lights. No nothing. No chance of restarting even if I could have gotten the starter motor to operate again. At $49 I've spent WAY more money on much dumber things.

Guess I'm going to get ahold of these guys at bshoremarine.com and find out more. I was hoping someone here has tried them or seen something else on the market to recommend.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-01-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
Seems like a complicated solution to a simple problem. If you really fried a starter and almost sank your boat, you would probably remember to put the plug in next time. I forgot once, and that's all it took.

3 posts, all in this thread, joined today...what are the odds you make and sell the product you keep referencing? 95%?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-01-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Couldn't jump in to install plug because the water was 50*? Seriously? I've trunked it down to high 40s plenty of times.

Anyhow, I wouldn't replace nice brass plugs with cheap plastic plugs like BShore seems to sell. Just get in a routine, know the steps of your routine, and never deviate from it. If you are interrupted, start over. I've never left the plugs out of my boat and doubt I ever will. Sure anything is possible though, but think of it like locking the keys in your car or leaving your headlights on. It's a learning experience, and only takes once to make sure you never do it again. Misfortune and forgetfulness resulting in inconvenience teaches us to be more careful and not forget things. Some mistakes you only make once.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-01-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
I'm with Cory..cold water or not I'd be in putting the spare plug in. I also did it last year. Jumped in and corrected the problem. So if your starter failed and you couldn't start the boat and it was to cold to jump in and put the plug in what happened? I have to assume your boat sank? You also said your daughter was on board...so jumping in to put the plug in wasn't worth your daughters safety? Better to let the boat sink instead then all get in the cold water together. Something sounds off here. Am I missing something?

If you like the product, order it up. Like I said I did it last year, had to jump in the water in cooler water(50's) in jeans and a polo. That was enough to remind me good!! If I sank/ almost sank with my kids on board, burned a starter and whatever else I would never need to be reminded again.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-01-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
you don't want to install and wire a float switch but you're willing to install this product and splice into the ignition circuit...hmm

does this new product prevent subsequent use of the drain?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-01-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
Drain plug alarm or not, I would consider a larger or 2nd bilge pump.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-01-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
This is a free advertising thread........ I'd bet on it...... :<(
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-01-2013, 4:53 PM Reply   
I have a special visual and audible warning. I can hear the bilge pump and then see this continuous stream of water out the side of my boat. If I check the cup holder and there is a drain plug in it then I know I don't have a more worrisome hole in my boat. Like most modern technologies it took me a while to determine the cause of the indicators the first time they kicked in.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-01-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
better idea, take our the run key and put it on there, boat no runny with no drain pluggy.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-01-2013, 4:56 PM Reply   
:Just because all three of his total posts are in here doesn't mean he is just trolling.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-01-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
If you are that paranoid how about a one way drain plug?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...y-Plug&i=71746

I've done it once in almost twenty years of boating, wife backed off the trailer, she's backing out I see the bilge start pissing and think that's odd, then a second later OH SHIAT and motioned her back onto the trailer. Don't think I'll do it again, my distraction was a drunk buddy who ran from the beach to "help" when I arrived.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-01-2013, 5:06 PM Reply   
in soviet russia, you dont forget drain plug, drain plug forget YOU.
Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-01-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
I take mine out, let it drain if it needs to and put them back in before I leave the ramp......if there is one thing I have learned is that when it comes to your boat....regardless of weather/time constraints always leave time to get everything done when you pull it out. With weather and radar apps on phones these days, weather is the least of my worries. No need to chance forgetting the plugs when you put it in.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-01-2013, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LakeWake View Post
I take mine out, let it drain if it needs to and put them back in before I leave the ramp......if there is one thing I have learned is that when it comes to your boat....regardless of weather/time constraints always leave time to get everything done when you pull it out. With weather and radar apps on phones these days, weather is the least of my worries. No need to chance forgetting the plugs when you put it in.
Horrible advice! If the boat is not in the water the plug needs to be out.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-01-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
I too want to know the rest of the story
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2013, 7:38 PM Reply   
Please tell me this guy who forgot to install his drain plug is Lon.
"Drain Plug Warning System"

This guy is the reason why we have warnings on hair dryers not to use them in the shower.

Darwin's chariot awaits you
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2013, 8:27 PM Reply   
Sorry I guess that's no help so please disregard my post
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-01-2013, 8:33 PM Reply   
Lol^
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-01-2013, 9:34 PM Reply   
What! You mean when my wife hands me the hair dryer while I'm still in the shower she's not trying to be helpful? Well, at least I can still have my toast while I read a magazine in the tub...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2013, 11:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetty View Post
Exactly. I want to avoid all that completely. I want to know before a bilge pump comes on. Water flow from the plug hole can overwhelm a bilge pump. I don't want to put a float switch in. They fail way too easy and cost about the same as this Bshoremarine.com system. And i don't want to be splicing into any wiring in the bilge or rigging into any lights in my dash. I have a bilge pump that turns on when when it senses water.... I wasn't out on the water that long when all this happened, and I just hadn't turned it on yet. For the cost of all that and the hassle, this one on bshoremarine.com is a no brainer. Even in the circumstance I was in last spring the bilge was running to try and keep up. Killed the battery. Then no lights. No nothing. No chance of restarting even if I could have gotten the starter motor to operate again. At $49 I've spent WAY more money on much dumber things.

Guess I'm going to get ahold of these guys at bshoremarine.com and find out more. I was hoping someone here has tried them or seen something else on the market to recommend.
I vote additional/higher gph bilge if you are super concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyart View Post
I have a special visual and audible warning. I can hear the bilge pump and then see this continuous stream of water out the side of my boat. If I check the cup holder and there is a drain plug in it then I know I don't have a more worrisome hole in my boat. Like most modern technologies it took me a while to determine the cause of the indicators the first time they kicked in.
This is what i do. Forgot once, never forgot again.

Get in a habit, do it the same way every time all the way through, like mentioned above. I like to do a double check as well, run through it twice to be sure. I do this before launching and before trailering home.
Old     (jetty)      Join Date: May 2013       05-02-2013, 5:11 AM Reply   
No I have no affiliation with that product.....
All good advise guys. I really like this forum. Ya'll bring up some good points for sure. As far as leaving head lights on or keys in the ignition. I haven't.. There's a thing that beeps at me if I leave them on or in. LMAO. Which pretty much seals the deal for me. I'm definately going to do something. I like the one way valve. Anyone try that? You still have to remember to put the plug in, and it doesn't tell you if it's actually in or not, but looks like it prevents water from coming in if you do. I wonder if that valve gets stuck or clogged up with seaweed and other random gunk?

I just know I'm not perfect, in anyway shape or form. No matter what habits I get in, no matter what I do to try to remember it. I still may make that stupid mistake again. And the sooner I do something to prevent it, the better off I'll be.

No, I didnt jump in the water. My boat didn't sink. I knew it wouldn't. USCG Reg makes it so there's enough closed cell foam to keep these newer boats afloat for a long time, even submerged. And I could have jumped in that cold azz water... Had things gotten worse I would have. Still sounds like a miserable experience I want to avoid. Maybe another bilge is the way to go, but I'm still looking for something to give me notice sooner than that. That's just there if I make the mistake again. I want to prevent the mistake in the first place.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2013, 5:18 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure USCG regs keep the boat afloat up to the rub-rail, no? So you were effectively sitting in the water anyways? At that point more than your starter would be affected with that much water in the boat. I really can't believe you let your boat sit effectively SUNK instead of jumping in to put in the drain plug. I never take the rear plug out of my boat. No need to. I've never made it off the trailer without putting the plug in - that's one great thing about a direct drive vs. v-drive, part of the checklist I learned since I was 12 was open the clamshell to vent gas fumes. When you do that it's pretty easy to see if water is coming in.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-02-2013, 5:34 AM Reply   
you could just get the boat up on plain and drain the bilge out the hole ala purevert ballast. seems counterintuitive but would totally work.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-02-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
you could just get the boat up on plain and drain the bilge out the hole ala purevert ballast. seems counterintuitive but would totally work.
It absolutely works. When I was younger and lived on the coast, I would do this quite frequently on my boston whaler. I always installed the drain plug from the inside so it was easy to pull and drain while underway.

But, it sounds like the OP fried his starter, so this probably happened at the ramp/dock before he started the boat. I agree with the hivemind though. 50* aint **** to save your boat from sinking. Get your ass in the water.
Old     (jetty)      Join Date: May 2013       05-02-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
No we never settled that deep in the water. I'm not sure what the specifics are about the regulations. If that's the case it probably accounts for full weight capacity + some maybe? We were empty. Just 2 on board. No gear. It was our first trip out. Just going for a quick cruise to stretch her legs out from the long winters nap. Almost no fuel in tank. At 50 gallon tank, and my floor storage plugs were in. I'm sure that helped keep us up. And my boat is pretty light considering its size. Maybe that plays a factor? it was just hardly a wet floor, but full hull, full bilge.

Yeah, I understand the "on plain drain" concept. But again.... I shut down to check things out and couldn't restart. Therefore I couldn't get on plain. And again, i'm looking for something to prevent... Or help - prevent me from being in that position in the first place. Something above and beyond the typical check lists - rechecking the lists - routine - clipping plugs on keys, steering wheels etc... Something that's just there. Something I don't have to think about above and beyond my routine, check list and reminder already in place. I went 13 years without ever forgetting it with all that in place. Maybe I was just getting too comfortable with my routine and I missed it. I don't want it to happen again.

I'm checking out adding a bilge but, for a better one it's about just as much money or more than the drain plug warning system. Even the extra bilge pump is just a bandaid to the root of the problem. That stupid drain plug.

I was just checking to see if anyone has heard of that drain plug warning system or not...... I take it no one has. I think I'll give something new a try and see how it works.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2013, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
No we never settled that deep in the water. I'm not sure what the specifics are about the regulations. If that's the case it probably accounts for full weight capacity + some maybe? We were empty. Just 2 on board. No gear. It was our first trip out. Just going for a quick cruise to stretch her legs out from the long winters nap. Almost no fuel in tank. At 50 gallon tank, and my floor storage plugs were in. I'm sure that helped keep us up. And my boat is pretty light considering its size. Maybe that plays a factor? it was just hardly a wet floor, but full hull, full bilge.

Yeah, I understand the "on plain drain" concept. But again.... I shut down to check things out and couldn't restart. Therefore I couldn't get on plain. And again, i'm looking for something to prevent... Or help - prevent me from being in that position in the first place. Something above and beyond the typical check lists - rechecking the lists - routine - clipping plugs on keys, steering wheels etc... Something that's just there. Something I don't have to think about above and beyond my routine, check list and reminder already in place. I went 13 years without ever forgetting it with all that in place. Maybe I was just getting too comfortable with my routine and I missed it. I don't want it to happen again.

I'm checking out adding a bilge but, for a better one it's about just as much money or more than the drain plug warning system. Even the extra bilge pump is just a bandaid to the root of the problem. That stupid drain plug.

I was just checking to see if anyone has heard of that drain plug warning system or not...... I take it no one has. I think I'll give something new a try and see how it works.
Right on man. Nobody here seems to want to try it. Seems like you do. Give it a try and see how it goes! Good luck!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
In an attempt to redeem my self from my Snarkey comment.
They make a drain plug alarm system. In fact it was a factory option on my Nautique. I never orderd it but I was told it was a new plug and base that created a ground and when the circuit was broken the alarm sounded and or a Dash light warning.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-02-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
DeltaForce, the USCG regs do not apply to boats over 20' with regard to floatation. It's up to the manufacturer. I would not count on most wake boats having enough floatation in them to keep the boat afloat, especially if you have a lots of stereo, batteries or lead in the boat.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       05-02-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Your story reminds me of the classic example of landing a plane with the gear up. Most stories are "I was doing my normal routine when something distracted me..." That is why pilots check that the gear is down multiple times...but then that repair is a bit more expensive that a new starter.

I have a DD and keep my plug on the floor by then engine compartment...pretty hard to miss.

PS - I can't imagine not jumping in the water immediately and plugging the hole. I probably would have not even waited to grab the plug, used my finger or toe and asked someone to hand me the plug!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
Sounds like he was in a buoyant 18' searay or something.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-02-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
So your telling me with out the plug in the boat it only filed to the floor and then stopped? Starter tends to be way higher than the floor. At that point the foam is barely covered and no way it could counter act the weight of the boat that quickly, in what should now be a neutral environment inside and outside the boat. I'm guessing closer to the rubrail or sinking is closer to the truth. I have seen plenty of inboard/Vdrives with the floors open and the foam to weight ration is not good.

I also studied marine salvage for a while when i lived in Florida and have seen 100's of pictures of sunk/sinking vessels. Not one of them settled 8-12 inches into the water(floor height from the bottom of the boat) and neutralized. You must have a very rare vessel indeed. Must be a solid foam hull like one of those unsinkable Boston Whalers. If your boat only swamps to the floor without a plug, you don't really need a plug!!

Last edited by boardman74; 05-02-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-02-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ng-sensor.html

thehulltruth.com, Wakeworld.com... Better hit up offshoreonly.com & screamandfly.com, i'm sure someone will buy one, good luck with the sales dude.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
At least you found out that nobody wants one without paying for advertising. HA HA!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-02-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Ryan you wouldn't happen to also be wake rider?? Oddly similar thread.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-02-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
That stupid drain plug.

The plug is only as stupid as it's owner.

Leaving the plug out is part of the fun and magic of boating
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-02-2013, 6:36 PM Reply   
^ I've had many laugh moments while still on the trailer saying "hey guys, look what's in my hand!". I was too afraid of the threaded area to screw it in though. Screws scare me and I just can't do it. If it was reverse thread I could've done it.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       05-02-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
When I left my plug out, the water was 65* so I couldnt jump in to plug the hole. That was after a 30 minute shred session and the bilge pump running for an hour before I noticed

sorry Jetty
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-02-2013, 6:59 PM Reply   
BUSTED!!......... Nice call AAron... I knew this was a scam..

can't fix stupid...
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-02-2013, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
Horrible advice! If the boat is not in the water the plug needs to be out.
Educate me because I always leave my plug in after I have let it drain and the boat dry out.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2013, 4:39 AM Reply   
I never take the rear plug out. Only center. Only issue was after 9 years on the previous boat the plug seized in there, but if I'm not taking it out, no worries I guess
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-03-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
I always remove both plugs whenever the boat is not in the water. mine stays outside so always a chance of cover tearing or something while I'm away. Even if it was inside I'd pull the plugs because you just never know. At the least it can allow a small amount of airflow through the bilge.

I get the the center plug when getting in the boat to get my plugs and load/move any gear, and rear plug when removing transom straps. If I forget (never happened) I'd remember when removing transom straps and seeing no plug, or absolute worst case when boat is in water but still on trailer after I start it, as I always open the doghouse to check for water/oil/fuel leaks before backing off the trailer and typically again after parking the truck and before heading out.

I did catch a loose coolant hose clamp this way last season, had a slight drop as I forgot to tighten clamp of recirculation pump after getting the boat ready for the season. Yes, OP is a spammer/troll for a junky plastic overpriced product that plain isn't necessary, but it's a good reminder to get into a routine at the ramp and never deviate from it.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-03-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
Educate me because I always leave my plug in after I have let it drain and the boat dry out.
While the drain plug can be terribly unforgiving of any carelessness incapacity or neglect if left out of a boat in the water, the effect is exactly the opposite for a boat out of the water. A large open bowl shaped fiberglass cavity can hold an abundance of water if there is no means of displacement.

Of coarse no one ever intentionally fills their boat up with water. Hope I was sarcastic enough
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-03-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
I will say I do take my rear plug out now, and carry a spare. My first trip to our river pad, I left the boat overnight in overflow parking. Got the boat first thing in the morning, launched, a few minutes later the auto bilge warning came on, looked in the engine compartment and water was flowing in. Tried to speed up to drain the water but auto bilge put the boat into limp mode and would not allow me to throttle. I did not forget to put in my plug, my plug was stolen. Once the boat was back on the trailer, bought two plugs, and pull them out all the time just to keep them from being stolen.