Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
I got the chance to ride behind and drive an a22 yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed, honestly it drove better than about any boat I have ever been in, including x-stars and 230s. Im going through the build a boat option on their site and Just had a few questions for everyone out there who would know.
The LS3 motor, does it require premium gas like I heard or can you get away with 87? And how is the effieciency compared to the 330 as far as consumption?
Which prop would you guys reccommend for the 330? the LS3? I plan on running 4k plus lbs.
Do I still get the hole in the platform without the wedge?
Do I even need the wedge?
Do they pre drill and wire the tower if I do not get the tower speaker?
Is the mirror the bottle opener mirror option or is that an upgraded mirror?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
So I can't answer all of your questions

LS3 I think requires 89?

With that much ballast you're looking at running a core prop. They do offer a 5 blade prop now, but I have no personal first hand experience with it. A friend of mine rode behind an a22 with it and claimed it had awesome hole shot when slammed with 3k ballast and people.

The platform will have the hole either way, and a wedge is standard and is a good thing to have for resale down the line.

Pre-wired might be an option you can ask for, don't quote me on that.

Bottle opener is a an option. I personally have used both the tower mirror and the regular windshield mount and from a functionality standpoint I like the regular windshield mount. Its easier for your line of vision. But thats might be just me.

If youre in Jersey/Eastern PA/Southern NY let me know. I work at a Malibu/Axis dealership as a mechanic and can help get you set up with a new a22 or a20
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
You can get by with 87 on the LS3. does not like it but will run. I had the big motor in my first A22. I have the small motor in this one.

I run the core prop on all my boats. I have run the 5 blade and it works great. If you order one get it

The platform will have the hole for the wedge. Would not order one with out the wedge.

They come with the wires in the tower.

I have the tower mirror and love it. Have never used the bottle opener. Save money and buy mine. It is loaded and I will make you a killer deal.

You will love the Axis it is a great boat. The best part about them is it has the Malibu wake only 15,000 cheaper and a lot less stuff to mess up. Make sure you order the plug and play and get the big bags. I'm working on my second A22 and love them. Good luck
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
Mason:

I ordered my A22 new (2011) so here is what I found:

I got the 335, run 87 in it. Do not know about the 400 though. (go to axiswake forum, very helpful, has this answer for you somewhere)
Ordered it no wedge (saved me approx $1000)
Comes with access door for wedge no matter what. I did not ask how much it would cost to change that... no big deal to me.
Ordered it no speakers... entire boat came pre wired to all 6 speaker locations, and for 4 tower speakers. I did not ask them to do this.
Yes, tower mirror upgrade.

I recommend the core prop with the 335 (or the cinco, waiting to get more feedback on this before I buy it) if you wanna run weight.
Im running #4000 with the 335 and core prop, no wedge. With #4000, full gas tank, 4 adults and 1 rider, It takes a little while to plane (at 1000' elevation) . With only 1 or 2 adults in it and less gas, it will jump out of the hole and plane pretty easily.
Wedge is about preference. It adds a vertical lip to the wake. I like the malibu shape without the wedge, so I ordered mine that way. If you plan on running #4k ballast PLUS wedge, then the 335 motor is not going to do it. If you plan on stock ballast and pnp (total approx 2700) plus wedge, you can do the 335 with the core prop, that is a nice wake. Or #4000 no wedge then you can do the 335. I found that when you load down the axis 4K+ and then add the wedge, it doesn't make it bigger, just adds a lip. (messes it up in my opinion).

with the core prop and 335, I top out at 34-35 mph (no ballast). So if you do a lot of cruising, or spend a lot of time on big lakes, you may need to get the 400 and maybe just the high alt prop or stock prop. I ride at 25 mph and my rpms are around 3500 (i think, i will have to check). had a guy on my boat that rides at 28 mph (yes, gps calibrated speedo) and the motor was around 3850 rpms. Gas consumption on this motor, with all my weight, and high rpms while towing is surprisingly good. I have not done a gallons per hour yet, but I can take 2 15 minute sets fully loaded on about 5-6 gallons of gas, thats very good imo.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-15-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Shawn did you say you are selling your boat or tower mirror didnt understand?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-15-2011, 9:14 PM Reply   
I have the bigger older motor and it calls for 89... I would guess the LS3 requires at least 89 also. I run the 1235 prop

Wedge is preference... like john said it adds a lip at the top. Running that much weight you won't need the wedge but I think having the wedge on it will help you sell it faster. For the average rider, the wedge makes the wake more versatile.
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-16-2011, 4:15 AM Reply   
Mason I have my Axis A22 for sell. Ed I also had the older 400hp I never ran 89. Never had any trouble and it ran great.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-16-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Mason,
MIke Brown at Nicks boat dock has the corvette motor in his new A22. I have heard from a few that he is running 4k plus in his and it runs right out of the hole. See if you can get Dusty to hook you up with him before the seasons over so you can drive it.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-16-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_scott View Post
Mason I have my Axis A22 for sell. Ed I also had the older 400hp I never ran 89. Never had any trouble and it ran great.
I just run whatever the mfr asks for until the warranty is up... I would be upset if something went wrong and Indmar wouldn't warranty it because I didn't spend .10 or .15 extra a gallon.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
I got the chance to ride behind and drive an a22 yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed, honestly it drove better than about any boat I have ever been in, including x-stars and 230s. Im going through the build a boat option on their site and Just had a few questions for everyone out there who would know.
The LS3 motor, does it require premium gas like I heard or can you get away with 87? And how is the effieciency compared to the 330 as far as consumption?
Which prop would you guys reccommend for the 330? the LS3? I plan on running 4k plus lbs.
Do I still get the hole in the platform without the wedge?
Do I even need the wedge?
Do they pre drill and wire the tower if I do not get the tower speaker?
Is the mirror the bottle opener mirror option or is that an upgraded mirror?

Matt Bishop will be at my house this weekend. I'll ask him about running 87 in the LS3. I know lots of people run 87 in the Raptor 400 with absolutely no problems. The raptor motor burns a little more fuel unweighted, but that is to be expected. With 4k, the big motor gets the A22 out of the hole much better than the standard motor. I run factory ballast, 1000lb sacs in the rear, the 900lb front pnp sac, wedge, and a front 1000lb bow triangle, and the raptor with the 1235 high altitude prop planes the boat out fine. With the 335, the core prop is a must for lots of added weight (over 3k). You may end up burning more gas with the core prop on the 335 than with the 1235 and the big motor if you have to cruise a bit to your riding spot. That's just me speculating.

For the standard ballast and /or the standard pnp bags, the 335 with the high altitude prop is fine.

I'm in the crowd that loves the wedge. I'd get it for surfing, even if you don't want it for boarding. With the new platform, you can use the wedge to add weight to the rear without washing out the wave.

I'm not sure if the 2012 towers come pre-wired anymore if you don't get a tower soundpack. I'll ask Bishop this weekend. The mirror mount with the bottle opener is an aftermarket option.

If you decide not to buy new, feel free to pm me about my boat. I've got a 2011 Vandal A22 with the Raptor, z5, wetsounds everything, etc., that I'm selling so I can order a 2012. (83 hours on it).

Last edited by chattwake; 09-16-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
chat.. any pics of your new future build???
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-16-2011, 10:13 PM Reply   
Chatt sent u a pm
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-19-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/2601037770.html
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Mason,
I rode and drove Mike Browns A22 this weekend and was very impressed with the performance of the boat from a rider and driver perspective. I have also ridden and driven the a22 with the 335 and around 3500-4k ballast. With the 335hp and 1235 prop it was a little sluggish for my taste and needed weight in the bow to get on plane. The bigger motor is awesome. We had 5k ballast in it this weekend plus 6 people (4 adult males and two Boys) with all this weight full throttle was not needed out of the hole. The boat took right at 13 seconds to lock on speed at 23.6 mph with an adult rider. One of the guys with us has the 335 that I have ridden and he says he is going to sell his to get the bigger motor after riding and driving this one. Hope this helps.