Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
I'm looking for my next boat and have been trying to consider all my options, and trying to keep an eye on my budget as well.

I'm an intermediate rider (working on basic spins/inverts) and looking to progress to get those really dialed in.

Last boat was on '05 supra 22ssv, which i liked alot. Been riding a friends '10 malibu 23lsv the last couple years which is awesome too.

I am looking for a good allround boat, but use will be 75% wakeboarding 25% surfing. Then just hanging out with family/friends.

Wanted to get a really good predictable and known wake, so I can progress most easily. I had been considering the original Xstar(x2/x1), original SAN, <04 vlx or 05-09 vride.

I just came across this '04 xstar - higher hours ~650 which was a camp boat and in "decent" shape, but showing some age.

Is this a decent option to consider, also what would be considered a really good price to pick something like that up at?

I know the wakeboarding wake is supposed to be awesome, but how does it work for surfing and general driving around - you hear horror stories about how bad the xstars handle...?

Cheers!
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-15-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
The X-Star is a great boat to learn on and progress, but the surf wake is anything but great! It can be surfed, but either needs a lot of weight or you are close to the platform in a small pocket.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
The X-Star is certainly a great boat to ride, but is there something wrong with your Supra? My experience with the 22ssv was that the wake was awesome (very similar to an early X-Star i.e. the 205 hull).

Personally I would not want a camp boat, those things get put through the ringer and often all the hours are well weighted hours. As an intermediate rider there are a ton of wakes that will allow you to progress on, you don't need the top of the line wake machine. I would rather purchase a lightly used Sanger or Supra for likely less $ than a well used X-Star. Its all up to you but rest assured the X-Star is not going to be your magic ticket to progression, hell save some coin and spend the savings on a week at a camp.
Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input so far.

Sorry, should have said - the supra has been gone for a few years, so have just been riding with friends for the last few years, and now looking to get my own boat again. I really liked the supra alot and its wake was very nice, although weighted heavier it did get quite steep and lippy.

Cheers,
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-15-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
The X-star wake is awesome when weighted up with 3.5k+ pounds but with factory only ballast I find it bit of a yawn and I think there are much better boats for the intermediate wakeboarder.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
the difference between your supra and xstar wakes are huge. the supra is narrower and steeper, the xstar is wider and rampier, totally different. Since you have been behind your buddies bu and you seem to like it, going to the xstar will be only a slight change. The bu with the wedge has a lip and is steeper than the xstar, if you ride the bu without the wedge, the wake shape is similar to the xstar. I love that xstar wake, so I am biased. I say go get an xstar and keep adding weight til it gets good, then throw another 1000 evenly across that boat To me the bu's (no wedge) and xstar wakes are the best. That is why I bought the boat I have.

with that said, your buddies bu handles completely different than the xstar. The xstar, especially when weighted, is a pig to turn. This is not a concern for most riders if you ride in a wide river or big lake, why do you need to turn easily? But for some of us that ride in narrow lakes with multiple turns and tight turn arounds, that xstar is a pain to drive, even more so when weighted. A 23' bu wieghted turns so much nicer and does not roll up on the chine (correct?) or whatever, the xstar does.

best thing is, go get a pull from an xstar owner, empty, stock weight, and loaded... drive it in all 3 scenarios. If you like it, and the price is right, do it.

curious, what is the asking price for the 04 star with 650?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
FYI mastercraft changed to a larger rudder in 06 which made a big difference in the handling. some of the 05 and 04's have already been upgraded to the new rudder but if this one hasn't i would definately recommend it.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
As for the price i wouldn't pay more than 35K Also the board racks on the 04 are stationary.
Old     (OneMoreSet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-19-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies and info.

They were asking 40k which is way high in my opinion. Used by a Christian camp - so not a designated wakecamp, so hours may be accurate... Apparently having some electrical problems - stereo, pp, balast not working. Also trailer is not an xstar trailer - they keep it in the water and pull out for the winter on a malibu lsv trailer....

Obviously more ballast would give the biggest wake, but wonder what the stock 900lbs gets you for wake size - and no ballast for more beginner?

Thanks again!
Cheers
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-19-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
The stock 900 gives you a good beginner wake at less than 20mph. To approach awesome level, you need at least 3k.

It may be a decent boat but I don't trust a boat that gets left in the water all season for 7 years. Does it get covered each time? Does it ever get to dry out? That might be why there are electrical problems. Proceed with caution!