Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2011, 10:03 AM Reply   
So upgraded my system after my stuff was gangstared.

2 Wetsounds Syn 4 amp
Pair Wetsounds Rev 8
4 Polk Momo mmc coax
Polk 12 sub
Alpine CDMA 9886m head unit w 4 volt preamps.
Wetsounds 420 eq

I had bullet 6.5Hlcd before so was just enough not near poweri have now.

I have all my stuff grounded and powered to distribution blocks (0 GAUGE TO 8 GAUGE) including head unit and eq. The gains on amps turned down and new eq doesnt have gains on it. The tower speakers have a small noise like a white noise/radio station coming from them. I have taken all the rca and isolatedd the amps and noise is still present no matter which amp is hooked up. I have hard wired and bypassed the eq and noise still there. The only time it is gone is when i disconnect the output rca'S from head unit,but leave all the rest of stuff running.

I have read some noise is acceptable but also read its not. I have read its most likely gain issue but my gains are barely turned up. Wven turning them to zero its still present. I havr swapped head units as well and its still there. I have been chasing this for 3 days. Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry for typos. On my cell
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
we get a little noise like that in our wet sounds stuff. It is just present when there is no music playing. Never bothered us enough to try and get rid of it. I would say if you can live with it I would stop chasing the problem.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-08-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
^^^ Agreed. My 485s have a slight hiss to them when the volume is down and no music is playing, but like Bruizza said, if you can live with it i would.

I basically tore my entire system apart twice trying to solve the problem and never found it.

Solution- TURN THE TUNES UP!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       09-08-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
one of the down sides of a hyper efficient HLCD speaker.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
yeah a slight hiss in the tower speakers is almost to be expected. Doubt its noticeable when the boat is running you can always turn down the gains till its a bearable level.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Yea i have torn it apart and rewired everything twice
It's not that loud it's just is there when my ear is up by the speaker. The tunes sounded great all weekend. They sounded even better when i dropped the original Clarion head unit w 2v output fir the Alpine w/ the 4v. Holy $&- what a difference. I was able to drop my gains a ton even with that they were so much louder, clearer, and had a much more true sound. With my original eq i didnt need the 4v out apparrently because it had12v adjustable line driver. Not sure why Wetsounds changed that or didnt leave it an option. I can only guess it was to aid in ease of use and setup.

Just was really worried as my old bullets didnt have near the wattage and didnt hiss from what i could remember.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
An HLCD speaker will reproduce without a filter any noise that is delivered to it. But speakers do not 'hiss'.
All signal processors, and especially an EQ, will create some small degree of hiss. Some more than others. The hiss is usually only audible when the sound level is low and the engine is off, so under more quiet circumstances. Usually it becomes tolerable with the right system set-up technique.
You have a 4 volt source unit followed by an EQ with even more line voltage. So the gain is through the roof. You should have the amplifier input gains way down with this combination. Remember that when the amplifier gains are reduced and set correctly, this will not reduce the amount of power the amplifiers will deliver...even though your perception may have you thinking otherwise.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-08-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
David,

Right on. My gains are maybe a quarter up if even that. The gain for the towers is up a little more than that of the cockpit speakers and the sub. As far as noise when running..its same whether idle or running, low rpm or high rpm. It's really only noticeable while up by the speakers and doeant change whether i higher the volume or lower the volume on head unit w cd or ipod paused. Its always constant. Also when i lower gain to 0 its still there. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something out of ordinary and was harmful to the new speakers as this is my first time with some higher end gear.