Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (devans19)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
I constantly oil my teak platform but as soon as I take the boat out on the water again it wears off. Can I stain it or do something more permanent?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-30-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
How many coats are you applying? Do one coat, let dry, repeat, let dry, repeat. I do 4 coats and it usually holds for several months. I just reteaked last night, and hadn't teaked since the beginning of Summer...
Old     (daddydoo)      Join Date: May 2006       10-30-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
what type of teak oil do you use?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-30-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
I used to remove the platform, power wash it, then put teak oil in a spray bottle, spray it on, and let it sit in the sun, then re-apply each other time wiping off excess
Old    abadsvt            10-30-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
This is some usefull info! Even though it is more work than the fiberglass platforms when the teak is taken care of it looks soooooooo NICE!!!!! 10 times better than fiberglass. IMO.
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-30-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Use Sikkens cetol marine, it's made for teak wood. You apply like 3 coats and it will last for about 2 years and the platform will always look great. Oiling the teak is almost a joke when you use your boat every day.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
I used Sikkens a couple of years ago, and it is a lower maintenance option. Just be aware that it changes the color somewhat. On mine it came out with sort of orange tint and it has a glossy look. It's not bad, but if someone likes the traditional look they may not like it.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Dan Evans, I had the same problem and I hate oiling the teak all of the time. You also get oil on the vinyl, transfered by feet.

So, here's your solution: Get this stuff and you'll be very glad you did.

Upload

Clean you teak good, wipe on with a rag, let it dry overnight and you're set for at least half the season. I usually apply it twice over the season and it makes the teak beautiful. Not slippery, not orange. Make sure you get the natural light color so it doesn't make the teak too dark.
Old     (devans19)      Join Date: May 2005       10-31-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help!
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-31-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
tuneman- do you have a photo of your platform?
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 3:56 PM Reply   
tip for cleaning the teak well: power washing it tends to make it splinter so after you wash it, hit it with an electric palm sander with 160 grit (i think i used 160) This works alot like rubbing comound on gel coat, it takes off the top layer and you are left with amazing looking teak, i then just leave mine but if you want it to stay clean use the cetol. it may sound crazy to sand it but i promise it comes out awesome!
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
sanding and then aplying teak oil is the way to go. I ride on the delta. If you go to most of the Restraunts and bars along the way you tie up Stern in. Try that with a Fiberglass step. The wood if it gets scratched you just sand and re-teak.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-01-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
factory, sorry, no pic. And the boat's been put away for the winter. I swear by the Starbrite stuff though. The Cetol stuff turns your teak orange, it chips off on the edges, and it's slippery. The Starbrite stuff isn't slippery and just wears away like regular teak oil only much, much slower.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-01-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
what a pain in the ass. anyone want to trade their fiberglass platform for my teak?
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       11-01-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
tuneman, do you put the sealer on after the teak oil, or instead of the teak oil?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
my teak platform is relly sun stained too. a real light/white color now and have been trying to bring it back.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Ted, yes, it is a pain in the ass compared to fiberglass.

Rich, the teak oil that Tuneman pictured above is a combination oil/sealer.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Read my posts in this OLD forum......

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/79854.html?1062010786
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-01-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
What am I missing here? I have a teak platform (06 Malibu) and I have just been putting some teak oil on after each use...takes all of 2 minutes tops. The platform looks better than it did when I picked up the boat. I don't see any reason why if I continue to do this that it won't continue to look this way. I do have the luxury of indoor storage out of the sunlight. I am just wondering why everyone says that the teak is such a pain to maintain? The only problem I have had at all is the oil can leave the platform a little slippery.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Tim - does the oil rub off on your feet and get tracked in the boat?