Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-26-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
I was looking for an Audiocontrol 6XS, or Matrix, and I decided to search on Craigslist. I found a guy who was selling all of his car audio stuff. The description was brief and vague. The picture was of everything he wanted to sell in one picture so it was hard to make out what all was there. (I had to zoom in on the picture to tell it was 6XS) Anyway, I called him and asked him if he'd sell the 6XS separately. He said he needed to sell everything at once, going on to say he took everything out of his old car before he sold it, and his wife is forcing him to sell all the car audio stuff before he gets a chance to install it in their new car.

So we work out a deal and I go to meet him. He's showing me everything that's included (more than what was pictured) I'm all excited, then he shows me a Sony Head Unit. He tells me it's a very old head unit, but the sound quality it produces is phenomenal. I looked at it, and other than noticing it was obviously very old, I didn't think much of it. I got home and started messing around with my new toys, and then I decided to look up the CD player model just for the hell of it. Much to my surprise, I discovered it was the very first in-dash car CD player Sony made. It's the CDX-R7. When it came out in circa 1985 it had a price tag of $869. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with my discovery...pretty cool, even more so since it's in pristine condition. Do any of you old timers remember this CD player? I was only 2 when it came out. It has 2 blocks on top of it, one fairly large one, and another smaller one...does anyone know what they're for? I wonder if it's worth anything to a collector. I couldn't find much info on it other than old magazines from the 80's talking about it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-28-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
my exp with 1 gen car cd players were that they skipped like crazy....any minor bump made them skip.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-28-2011, 1:42 PM Reply   
LOL I had that CD player in a Lowerd BUG. It was a P.O.S skipped like crazy. It was so crappy that SONY replaced it for free with a newer modle. It was alot better single indash unit (no second) aux unit to run it. Down side it was no where near as colorfull and flashy. The CDX-R7 have a bunch of colors, The replacment CD player Sony gave me was pretty boring as far as display. It was Black with a Tan letters and Display eventually that even gave out. Ahh the early days. Things are SO much better I pods ect.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-29-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
I knew you'd eventually chime in Grant. Not surprised you had the very first in-dash car cd player...LOL