Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
This may not be ther best place to ask, but I don't know where to go. I know a lot of people here have tats so I figured I'd get a good answer.

Anyone been out the day after getting a new tat? I'm getting on Saturday and will be on the lake Sunday. I won't sit an hang out in the water, but will be down for a minute when I fall though. It will be on my arm so it won't stay submerged. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks

haha, I just noticed the typo in the title and can't edit it. Oh well, now I look like an idiot.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
On the bad isde you run a risk of infection, on a less bad side you run the risk of messing up the tattoo. You've got both the sun and the water working against you. Get your tattoos in the winter.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-21-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Yeah, rule of thumb with a new tattoo is two weeks before swimming.
I just went under the needle last Saturday and I'll be under the needle again this Saturday.
Then next Saturday I plan to be in the water.
Yeah, they'll get wet, but I won't be soaking them.
I'll be in, I'll ride, I'll fall, I'll ride, I'll fall and I'll get out.
I'll wear a rash guard while riding for protection then a t-shirt while in the boat to keep them out of the sun.
But going-in the next day after getting one? That may be dicey.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-21-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
I agree with Chris. I have swam in a pool a day after getting a tattoo, but not the lake. I have six, and my recommendation would be to wait a week or so, but if you cannot wait at least keep it covered up while in the sun and after getting out of the water, clean it. Another thing to consider is the area is going to be a little sore, so depending on where you are getting the tat, you run the risk of smacking it against the water, which isn't going to feel very nice.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
No no no sun on it.

I got one a few years ago and wakeboarded in a tourny the next day, it was on the inside of my bicep.... I threw a hefty bag around it and duct taped it up for my run.... didn't need it because of course I didn't fall.... but it gave me a piece of mind.

The sun will really F it up though
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
.... you could load it with Aquaphor before you ride then just throw some cellophane, that might keep the water off, then just make sure you get a shirt on over it after
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-21-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Man i always wait about a month before i would get in the water after my tats. I figure if im paying like 500 bucks to get work done im not going to risk it by getting in the lake. And someone has already said it best, "get tattoos during the winter"
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-21-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Wear a shirt in the sun and ride with a drysuit, you'll be fine.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
+1 for getting it in winter. Thats the only time I get them so then it doesn't mess up the wake season at all.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-21-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
I got my last one exactly 30 days before my last day of finals.... worked out perfect.... finish school, all healed and rode 2 days ago for the first time.

Honestly though, do what those little care sheets say, they don't make you jump through hoops for no reason
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-21-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
I always wait at LEAST a week. You don't want more trauma to the arm, you don't want the new piece submerged in water and you don't want the healing process delayed.

Get it done Saturday, keep it out of the sun Sunday and don't ride til next weekend.