Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old    mia            06-02-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
starting up the stereo project and was wondering what is the verdict of wetsounds ?

build quality ?
finish ?
durability ?
sound quality ?
mechanics (clamps) ?

any input would be appreciated.

btw, considering nvs or modified skylon defcon 4.

thanks,

mike

Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-02-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Myke- I have a pair of Pro80's sitting in my garage. I havent had a chance to hear them yet so cant help you there but the fit & finish of these things is a thing of beauty. They are extremely well designed and very space-age looking. Its obvious they labored over every detail of these speakers. Im sure others can fill ya in on the SQ
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I have a rockford fosgate 450.4 amp pushing 225w rms to each Pro 80. Sound is awesome, everyone on the lake can hear me, if I want them to...

I've not heard much to compare them too - but Tim was very helpful on this site so I went with them knowing I could easily get support if something wasn't just right.

I'm still not down with the stereo - but when I get everything said and done, i'll fill you in with pics and details!
Old    mia            06-02-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
where are the drivers sourced from ?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
The guys that run Wetsounds have like 40 years of collective sound engineering experience - they are on the ball for sure.

I can say from hearing 2 sets of the pro80's on a friend's tower - they are ridiculous. As in ridiculously awesome. And a bargain at their retail price..
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-02-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
hahaha I gotcha thinking huh Mike?
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
Hey Mike,

What area in Southern Cal. are you located in? Your profile says East County. What is your zip and/or area code? You can send me a private message or email if you would like. I will look up our dealer base and see if there is a dealer near you so that you can take a listen to them yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dale
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-02-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
Clubmyke, their drivers are made by them. The cone material is a special fiberglass that the guys at wetsounds created. It is supposed to be the perfect composite for a cone material and also waterproof.

I have a pair of the Pro 80s and they are truly amazing. The engineering, finish, quality, and style is simply amazing. You can't beat the price either for a pair of 80s. Honestly I think thats all you need, but there are some crazy people out there who want two sets of 80s or a pair of 485s. Talk to Tim and Dale at wetsounds. They are really helpful and will normally send a page response to each one line question you ask.
Old    mia            06-02-2006, 11:49 PM Reply   
thanks for the comeback...

i seriously doubt their drivers "are made by them" there are very few usa driver manufactures ( you have to be pretty big to do so ie dynaudio, focal, b&w, peerless, eminence, image dynamics(this is rare) etc)

chances are they are "made for them" by a large manufacture or more likely made in the far east..

it shouldnt be that big of deal to mention the source manufacture....
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-03-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Mike,

You have very good intuition and you are correct that it's rare to have a "USA" speaker manufacturer. However, I must point out that out of the speaker companies that you mentioned only one, that being Eminence, is actually a USA factory. There use to be a couple of those listed that were USA built but have since moved overseas.

We did design our products from the ground floor and up. The proprietary designs in the speaker drivers themselves are from 2+ years of engineering. It is no mystery, since it's posted on the box, that our products are built in our factory in the far east; as you put it. They incorporate a technology we call EFG which stands for Epoxy-Fiberglass. This is a composite material that makes up our driver. It's light yet very rigid.

That being said, our products are designed and built to deliver "concert" like performance. They meet marine standards so they can be used and enjoyed for many years.

I hope that this helps, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to email me or post on this thread.

Thanks,

Dale
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-03-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
I have a pair of the NVS 1010 running off a zapco 100.4 and I am very impressed with the sound. they are a little bigger but i like them. I could not beleive the sound. Didnt expect them to play that loud and have great sound.I did hear the wetsounds and liked them as well.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-03-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
So if I bought a piar of 80's with a nice amp and had some decent spealkers in the boat with a nice sub I would have the bling bling?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
poser, you can't have the total bling unless you sport the grill.Proud face doesn't sport the grill either.
Old    mia            06-04-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
it is pretty common for a speaker builder to spec a drive and have a drive manufacture build it for them (that is about 80% of the market...

focal - france
audax- france
mb quartz-germany
b&w-england
celestion-england
dynaudio (scandanavia)
seas (scandanavia)
vifa(scandanavia)
maganpan ribbons (usa)
morel (israel)

heck even wilsons whams at $180k use sourced audax drivers for their speakers..

there are some driver mfgs. from the far east but the europeans own this market..

dale,

thanks for the comeback... will send a email..

(Message edited by clubmyke on June 04, 2006)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
After the Sound Illusions tests I decided these were the keepers...Pro 485s. Photoshop the colors and this is your boat!

Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 11:13 PM Reply   
Oh, and here is another idea for your 211... Make that rear jumpseat a little more functional.

Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
This has four 6.5" ultra long stroke lightweight neodymium magnet subs, with two 4" ports tuned to 50hz. It weighs about 40lbs total, made with lightweight particle board.

Upload
Old    mia            06-06-2006, 12:23 AM Reply   
mike & steve- thanks for the info...

mike - mind if i ask what amp do you have on them and how is the fit / finish/ bracket mounting/ and soud quality / dispersion ?

i really like the jump seat install - really great idea.. what drivers did you go with ? btw, have you seen steves sub install on his 211..pretty good idea (i may do both !!).

antbug....ALWAYS !!!!! however this is for a friend who is looking at tower speakers..

the concern is there have been way too many tower speakers come and go with no support after 1 year (aka anything skylon)... this is a big deal imo..

needless to say i have alot of respect for nvs..duane has done a great job with approach, design, quality (very nice) and longevity....

i would be a little wary of something so "new" that without knowing exactly what it is and whats in there (can it be replaced /repaired long term ?) - this is something that skylon cant say and nvs can.. it was only 1 year ago that skylon came out with a new reference and look what happened !!!

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/209152.html

remember this thread (i find this surprising)

ether wetsounds can hang in there remains to be seen (we'll have a pretty good idea how they are AFTER this summer and new owner report their experience)... in the meantime my nod goes to nvs- i be watching wetsounds from the fence till summer is over...

(Message edited by clubmyke on June 06, 2006)
Old    mia            06-06-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
update.... tim & jesi ordered a pair. the owners of wetsounds are pretty good trying them. i think they will one of the first ones in san diego...

will let you know how it goes..

also may do a side by side comparison to my "bespoked" skylon defcon 4's (reworked crossovers & enclosures)
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-06-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
What happens if you get your subs wet?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-06-2006, 11:43 PM Reply   
They don't get wet. But just in case I coated them with a polymer coating after the picture was taken. The drivers are fairly inexpensive so I can replace them when needed.

Mike,
Which wetsound did you get? I am running a somewhat controversial Avionixx tripath 500 X 2 (bridged 4x) amp crossed at 150hz. The wetsounds have a built in XO but I wanted to push them a little harder than recommended so I raised it up a bit so the cones would not jump out of their baskets. The brackets are nice but the tower clamps are chromed steel. I need to wax mine, after sitting in the weather/rain for 3 months they show a bit of discoloration and what could turn into rust if not attended to. The rubber grommet is very nice it holds well without danger of scratches. I sent you a PM, is you cox service down?

I also run a 12" sub at the driver's footwell too, my boat is an SE so no breakerpanel in the way. What's Steve's box like?

(Message edited by mikeski on June 06, 2006)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-07-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
mikeski - i went with a pair of skylon deafcon 4 and i am currently having them modded (crossovers & drivers-the id drivers used are crap and a couple of top secret tweeks)... they are super inefficent but i dig on the clamp system (skylon did a really good job on that)..

tim & jesi went with the pro 80's..we'll be able to check them out. the owner is very knowledgeable and a pretty nice guy.

the major concern (theoretically) i see is the driver (yes i know it is a top secret material) but look at the track record of past horn basesd products and none of them have replacement drivers available except NVS...that is a major concern of a $1500 product... in fact it is unacceptable to spend that kind of money and not have a replacement available. if any manufacture were to shut it doors today, the only speaker you could get a replacement for is nvs.. so the new driver of the wetsound is a big question mark because it has not withstood the test of time - i hope it does what they say it will (durable, driveable, sound quality etc....) i'll stop preaching here- sorry

here is a pic of steve's sub install on his 211... very cool imo...

mike -sorry for not respondong to your email. i have been on my handheld (vx6700 via broadband) and i have internet service but cant respond to cox@home email.

how is the Avionixx tripath working out ? i have heard a couple remarks about class t (arc audio)

btw, if anyone has a big zapco or arc amp - let me know..

Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-07-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
So far so good with the Avionixx but they are not for everybody. They make funny noises and the chips can fall out if you mount them close to the subs. I have had a couple people ask if something was wrong with my stereo when the boat was off and it was really low, it's the amps making their "special sounds". Once they get cranking they work quite well. I think they have taken the technology and perfected it in the very expensive Zapco amps or the new Arc amps.

The pass through sub is nice but I love that storage space. I would be hard pressed to sacrafice that space.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Im impressed with the sound that comes out of the Wetsound's. IMO its nice and smooth with lots of mid bass. IMO the Wetsounds are a goood deal. Get a set and power them up and you good to go.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-07-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Grant, do you think they sound better using the high pass, or in full range on the amp? I got a another amp for mine but havnt hooked it up yet. I was running the Zapco 500.1 at 2 ohms, got hot to quick. Know I have the Zapco 360.4 witch will give me 180rms at 4ohms bridged per Pro80. Is that enough power to run in full range or should I keep it on high pass?
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Man you have to hear my NVS addictions!
Old    jesiday            06-07-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
mike, (club type)

You are correct. I ordered a pair of the Pro-80's and I found a NIB JL audio 300/2 amp to push them. (for now hahha!!!) I figure if it is not enough power I can save some more beans and use the 300/2 to power the sub. I have got to figure out what else I need to wire this stuff up. I am hoping to get most of it in the next couple of days. The fun part is going to be fishing the wires thru the tower. Also, do you still have the sub and amp for sale???? What does you schdule look like the next few days?

Tim

(Message edited by jesiday on June 07, 2006)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-07-2006, 9:24 PM Reply   
Jason,

You need to hear the WetSounds! I have heard both playing side by side. Both are great, but my crew gives WS the nod in near field SQ, without sacraficing far field SPL. Don't get me wrong, the Addictions are great speakers.

Here is my opinion... Both NVS and WetSounds are in a different class. Kind of like comparing a SAN vs. X-Star for wakeboarding when the rest of the industry is running I/O's.

For longitivity I am not worried. If WS goes under I can always take the speakers to a repair shop. Most speakers are repairable even these with fiberglass-epoxy cones. It usually comes down to surround and voice coils. For the HLCD I could just match it up with something readily available.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-07-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
good job on the jl 300/2 !!!!!! it should be fine...that is a AWESOME amp..very versatile...

how does your weekend look ? i have to run to la for social event on sat from 3pm-11pm).. we can get the majority of the work done (2 amps/wiring/speaker wiring) on fri/sat and ride sunday ? is anyone going out this weekend ?

never done a tower - any mc owners on have suggestions on the where to drill (do we have to drill or can we run wires through a opening))

i got the sub & the amp. it has your name on it (buzz was hounding me for the amp).. i have a couple boxes around so you can hear what a enclosed sub vs free air...

btw, how many batteries do you have (you will need a optima gel cell - 2 would be better).. will also need a 2 ga +/- and connectors.. i have speaker wire but will need interconnects (need to hit up a local guy- he has refernce quality interconnects for cheap..
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Tim give me a call 619 889 6636 I've wired two different towers I have some tricks that might make your life alot easier. I'll be leaving for New Jersey on Sunday for work so try to give me a call in the next few days.
jason
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-08-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Tim,(everyone else)

Congrats on the new speakers. Thay are all very nice. It is good to FINALLY see some of the good speakers down our way. Jason's NVS are the first ones I have seen at San V, and Tim's will be the first Wetsounds. I think I have the first set of Rubicon 450's, so when I get back from Shasta, we can have all 3 lined up for comparison. Probably still some tweaking I need to do to mine, but ClubMyke dialed them in (thanks again bud!), and they smoke! It was a toss up for me, but the Rubicons won out.

See all of you in about 9 days.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
I just got my Rubicon 450's yesterday. I will not get them hooked up for awhile so I am intrigued to hear what you thinkg of yours Buzz. Drop me a PM or let me know how they sound and what you are powering them with. Will be good to hear them in comparisons with all these other kings.....
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
jason ~ what amp are using on those bad boys ? any chance I can come by tonite and get a in depth view of your install ?

btw, anyone going out on fri/sat/sun ?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
mike ~ anytime....you got a great ride & system..

we ran mike' zapco ref 750.2 in a mixed mono mode and is killed the stereo (At least 3 db increase~I suspect more). this appears to be the best way to run tower speakers if your amp can be configured that way... further listening test behind his bu' will have to should confirm a wider dispersion vs beaming in the center ::-)))))
Old    jesiday            06-08-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Mike (club type)

do you have a local guy you go thru to get the interconnectors? I was thinking of ordering a few of those Neutrick connectors (a 4 pin on for the tower leg and two 2 pin ones for the tower speakers since I am pretty sure they have quick releases). I am hoping to get most of this stuff be UPS in the next few days. I am definatly going to do some riding on Sat morning and more that likely Sunday too (JESI??). Depending on what else is going on it may be a ride hard early and leave realtivly early too (probably after the 10-2 session). Jason and Mike I will give you a shout our later tonight. Maybe make a few rounds.

Tim

P.S. Have a great trip Buzz!!!!!! Watch out for the prop killers up at shasta!!!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
t&j~neutriks are great quick release connectors, those take speaker cable (i have 2 rolls at home~don't buy any). we will need amp wires, connectors, fuse box (would go 4), nylon sheath material, 100 amp resetable fuse, and a couple small things that add up really quickly..btw, did you pu a gel battery ? you will need a optima (costco is good~blue tops are $$ but worth it..2 would be better).

any idea how long the interconnect cable would be from the head unit to the amps? we'll need minimum 3 sets...the website for the interconnects is audioartcables.com. really high quality product (reference quality for cheap)..I have a 1 meter pair left over from my home theatre system you can have..we can call them and he'll have them ready..

if we can get a run in fri or sat inbetween the stereo that would be great(dont forget about sunday!!)

buzz~be safe and take pictures ;))))
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Dale,

I'm looking at purchasing a set of the Pro 80's and powering them with a Kicker ZX550.2. Will this amp do the job, and deliver the sound they are capable of???
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-09-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Cliff,

Dale is out of town so I will answer for him.

That would be a great amp. Looking at Kickers manual, that amp will put out 205 x 2 at 4 ohm stereo.

Giving you some good headroom for a pair of PRO 80's.

We have had some customers use the 450.2 (150x2) as well with great results.

But I always say, if you can get a bit more power, go for it. You will have more headroom, meaning less distortion and a cooler running amp.

Tim
Wet Sounds Inc.

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-09-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Tim.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
btw, here is the real deal for subs and drivers...

http://www.tcsounds.com/

designed and made in usa(incredible quality). highest quality and stupid low prices...this guy was one the first high spl /excursion designers (designer for jl, eclipse, nht, sunfire, and lots of others)..

nice to see a high "bespoke quality" product that is usa made..

(Message edited by clubmyke on June 10, 2006)