Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2005, 12:06 AM Reply   
I purchased the Boat Buddy Loading system last fall after the season.... and since the company was out of stock on the II model, I bought the I model. It is a little too small for my 22 ft boat. They sell for $50 plus shipping.... I have ordered a new II model. If any of you are familiar with this handy system... let me know... I will sell you my Boat Buddy I as soon as I receive my new one. $30 plus shipping. Email me if you are interested. wake_up@shaw.ca
Old    kingjaycee            05-04-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
What is the boat buddy loading system? Is there a website I can view this @?
Old    deltahoosier            05-04-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
If you are refering to the little auto latching pin system by the front strap, then I would have to say do not waste your money. I do not have a very good opinion of it and as a owner of one, I hate it.
Old    milo_lite            05-04-2005, 4:55 PM Reply   
it really has it pros and cons.
Its good beacuse well noone ahs to get down of the truck to tie the boat to pull up the ramp, you just wait until the bolt hinches with the boat and then just drive up. You could load the boat byyourself, kind of why it gots it name, its like a buddy helping you out.

Cons.
I always forget to pull it back to set position when i unload so when my friends go get the trailer they oculd never get it right so when i try to pull the boat straight up it doesnt really do anything, it doesnt engage cause it is not set. Also if you forget to release it on a flat area before hitting the ramp you will never be able to release when the trailer is on a slope, so you have to go through the embarsement of going all the way up to a flat spot and holding up the line in the ramp. Good luck..

I give it more +++ than --
Old    xstar120            05-04-2005, 5:36 PM Reply   
I love it and would really recommend it to anyone not sure which model i have..will have to check.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
best thing since sliced bread!!

The only down is your friend doesn't know how to set it but what I do since I don't ride with the same guy anymore I just set it when I drop the boat in the water.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-04-2005, 5:53 PM Reply   
Every time this thread comes up, it's split about 50/50 love/hate. There usually isn't much in between. Personally, I love it.
My wife and I have the system down perfect. She knows exactly how far to back in (which is key) and I know exactly how fast to drive on (which is another key.... too slow and you get "stuck" before it reaches the pin and you have to back off and try again, too fast and you slam in HARD.. it jars the whole truck)
Most people that don't like it simply aren't very good at using it. If you do it right, it works flawlessly every time.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-04-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Amen Jamie
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-04-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Big Ed's sentiment. The boat buddy is the best thing since sliced bread!

Like Jamie said, the difference between loving it and hating it is simply knowing how to use it.

Old    deltahoosier            05-04-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
I firmly disagree with that statement that people who do not like it do not know how to use it. I prefer to have a nose stop and then put on the strap. You still have to strap the boat down and release the boat buddy, so, why go through the buddy stage. Then if you do not get it released at the right time, you will not be able to get it released without refloating the boat. Also, I have seen a few people struggle on various pitched ramps with it. I have trouble with my local ramp after they re-paved it and at different tide levels. I have some lead in my boat, so the nose is a little heavier than stock, so, I have to sink my trailer a little more or I will have to come in at ramming speed. If I sink my trailer deeper (not much but enough), the bow hook does not line up with the buddy. It just seems to be too touch in that regard. Like I said, you have to strap the thing anyway, so why put a middle step in.
Old    akman            05-05-2005, 5:15 AM Reply   
When we had our Mastercraft I loved it, thought it was an awesome feature......now that we have our CC I don't miss it one bit.

I have never had to get wet loading my boat and I don't have anyone in the water helping me. I simply drive up the trailer, keep it in gear, reach over the front and hook the bow and drive out.

We also have bow weight so we have to put the boat in deeper to get it off the trailer and a little deeper to get it back on.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-05-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
to each their own, my dislike has nothing to do with knowing how to use it. I agree on the grade of the ramp can effect the usefulness, have seen it first hand at ramps at holiday weekends where people are not familar with the ramp. That ol winch strap is pretty easy.
Old    zboomer            05-05-2005, 6:22 AM Reply   
I had the boat buddy on my Supra's trailer, hated it. I ended up taking it off for a bow roller.

First, as someone said, it makes it super critical how deep you have the trailer backed in, which changes at every ramp. Off just a little, and the freaking boat nose goes UNDER it, gouging the boat. Ask me how I know this.

I think the boat's nose type has a lot to do with how well it works. My Supra had a low nose, kind dropping down, and it went under the Boat Buddy so easy. it might work better on my VLX, but no day way I'm going to try.

I prefer to have the wife pull up slowly as I man the winch, hook it up when she's still a foot or two away, and gently pull her up on the roller as she idles in forward.

The boat buddy also just rubs on the boat, doesn't roll at all. I had the boat buddy on my old Prostar 205, and after years of use it basically rubbed huge black non-removeable stripes into the nose of the boat where it touched. The pin also wore a big notch into the bow eye.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
I've had it on both Supra's and never had a problem going under it. It's all about how deep you put the trailer in. For Supra's, you put the trailer in exactly as it states in the owners manual and you should have zero problems.

Personally, it makes loading the easiest part. I love the looks at the ramp when I pull straight in, power up, boat buddy engages and we're out.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
The trick is get the trailer nice and deep and the boat floats on the water so it will go on top of the boat buddy not under.When you can't take the pin out because of the pressure simply put the winch on it and tighten it up release the pin and then release the winch,tata done..No putting the boat on the water or the trailer to release the pin.I agree it might be more usefull on differents boat but for the x-2...BRILLIANT!!!
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-05-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
Big Ed has it exact!! I have never had the bow go under. On most ramps I put the water right in the middle of the fender and the boat drives right up and clicks in place. I am always careful about not having the trailer too deep otherwise it's difficult to get the back centered on the trailer. If you always remeber to set it when you unload you never have to get wet to set it, plus on a 205/x2 you can reach over the bow and run the winch, boat buddy from in the boat.
Old    bambamski            05-05-2005, 7:29 AM Reply   
Rod it doesn't matter how much weight you have in the nose of the boat. Once you start driving the boat onto the trailer it's resting on the bunks so it can't go any lower even with weight?

One click and your done. YOu never have to fool around with the winch again while the boat is in the water.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
i've had BB's on 2 diff trailers, and really like them. i still hook up the winch strap before pulling out, esp on steep ramps. the only complaint i have is they aren't very well built.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-05-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
My only boat buddy complaint was it was sometimes difficult to unlatch. I thought maybe it was bent or damaged. I sprayed it with some white lithium grease and it works like a swiss watch.

I usually have a friend back the trailer in so that the boat hits the bunks about 1 foot before the boat buddy. It just takes a tiny bit of throttle and we're locked in and pulling the boat out. Like NAW said, there's nothing better than the looks you get from other skiers/wakeboarders when you pull up, click, and drive out in 5 or 10 seconds.

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2005, 9:34 AM Reply   
I love my boat buddy... I run a school so quite often I am the only one at the ramp to load and unload the boat... I have got it down to a science...

I arrive at launch... back part way down... release... back down fast... let the boat float away... speed out and park.. then run and jump off the dock and into the boat....

When leaving... pull up to dock... tie boat... run to truck and set the boat buddy... back down ramp... right under the boat... out of the truck.. on to the dock.. into the boat.. here the click... jump back into the truck.... drive half way up the ramp... hook the strap... boat drains... and off to home...

takes me less than a minute to head out on the lake... and about 2 minutes to load...

people actually stand back and watch me do this and let me got in front of them...

most people i see.. are so cautious... 1 in the truck... 1 on the boat... and 2 or 3 guiding everyone around...

i hate waiting at the launch.... back in and get the hell out of the way...

when the lake is choppy.... i will sit in the parking lot and watch the people come in...

domestic disputes... divorces... disowned children... etc... i see it all... it is better than jerry springer...

dragging the leg... on the trailer... sliding off the trailer.... no boat plug... on to the trailer... off the trailer.. on again.. off again... try over and over....

oh well... you get the idea... i dont think it is the best thing since sliced bread.. but if you know how to use it... it is great... i love it...

i guess it is just like perfect pass... if you use it properly... then great... if you dont know how... then it is probably a waste of money...

Old    deltahoosier            05-05-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
Pat,

Do you have weight in your boat? Try making your boat slide over the bunks and see how far you get. I have 4 bunks and a nose v-block. Inorder to get my boat to hit the boat buddy just right, I have to allow my boat to be on the v-block and the last two bunks to get the boat to pitch up to hit the buddy. Unfortunately, when I do that, the boat has to come in at ramming speed. I do not trust that my boat will settle enough to come in that hot. One we did that and the boat kicked to one side and my boat went right by the boat buddy and the rear end kicked to the side and I hit my prop on the trailer frame. If I come in soft and let the boat settle, then I can not get the boat to move again because of all the weight in the nose. Trust me I have been through this a couple of times. I prefer to do what Gramps said and it is what I used to do with my old boat. I pull it up till the nose touches a stop and then I leave it in gear, lean over the bow and strap it down. I am not saying it won't work for some, but, It is by no means a cure all. Like Big Ed mentions, he still straps his boat down. I say, why bother with the middle man.
Old    bambamski            05-05-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
That makes more sense then Rod. I just have the two bunks and have never had any problems with weight in the bow. I can see you'd have problems if the bow of the boat was too low to get onto the bunks in the first place.

The people that don't have boat buddy do you not have any sort of safty latch? I don't know if I'd feel comfortable trailer my boat around if I only had the winch strap in place.

I strap my boat down when we're wiping the boat down and we are out of the way.

A couple of years ago I saw someone leaning over the bow tightening up his winch and it snapped back and the handle nailed him in the nose. There was blood everywhere. I'd never own another boat trailer without one after seeing that.
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
I'm fairly new to boating. Have a centurion elite. Last weekend i went out with just my wife and three year old son. left wife at the dock while i went to get the trailer. big line at the ramp and while waiting starting talking to the guy behind me who has same boat with boat buddy. he highly recommended it. he ended up driving my trailer down for me while i loaded my boat. wife is still not completely comfortable driving, especially loading. anyway guy was a great help. watched him load his boat and it was amazing how fast and easy it looked. definetly want to buy one. question is where? can't seem to find them on the web. Help
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2005, 2:00 PM Reply   
i have the boat buddy 1 (for 21ft or less) which I will be selling... the boat buddy 2 (for 21 ft and bigger)... www.bassproshops.com
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
thanks, but I would neet the 2 model. boat is 22 ft. thanks for the site info. how backordered are these things.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Once you know how to use/align things--nothing beats the boat buddy. When I had to trailer the boat pickups took less than thirty seconds. Click and go. Attach the strap in the wipe down area so other folks can use the ramp.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-05-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Totally agree boat buddy is the best thing since sliced bread... It sounds like those that have problems with it are not using it properly. As NAW said you have to know the depth to back your trailer (of course know your ramp). Sounds like many are actually backing down too far (deep). Never go to deep! Drive up the bunks. You will always settle perfect on the bunks no matter what. On my trailer it is always right as the last bit of water crests over the fenders. Works like a charm everytime. Someone earlier said you have to unhook it and strap everytime. Not true... As you dry the boat you hook the safety strap and you are gone, no need to unhook the BB... We look like pro's at the launch as everyone else is cranking.... Any scuffs the boat buddy leaves buff right out with no effort. I have had 2 of them and would go no other way.. Now that I say this I am sure I will mess it up on the next outing... thanks..
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
Yeah definetly don't want to go to deep.Just like joe said...Alittle throttle,little click and we are off the boat launch in less the 30 sec.

Strap it down after you pulled it out and are cleaning it.

Different ramps are different slope so you got to pay attention how deep or shallow you got the trailer!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2005, 9:40 PM Reply   
I have owned MasterCrafts with boat buddy an a Centurion Eclipse with a boat budy Worked great with all the MasterCrafts I owned and AWFUL with the Centurion. 2 things have to come together to make it work Trailer design and, How deep you back the trailer in.

This is the Manufacturer
http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/redswish/boat_buddy.htm

Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-06-2005, 8:37 AM Reply   
I had to cut away the plastic in one spot, it was not allowing the pin to pass all the way through the bracket. I found this out after I pulled the boat up the ramp, the pin and frame of the device were bent, the boat could have slipped off the trailer. I straightened it out on my workbench and it has worked fine ever since (5 yrs) but I'll never trust that thing to secure my boat. I strap it before pulling up the ramp.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-06-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
kevin flores (kfcflores)

You're in Sac, there should be a west marine nearby you. They'll have them in stock, so should Copes up in Rocklin.}
Old     (kfcflores)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
thanks mark, good call. West marine is actually right around the corner from my work. Didn't even think of that. Do you have one for your sanger (sweet ride)
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-09-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
No, don't have one on my trailer right now, although I keep meaning to get one. I had one on my 98 Mastercraft, and I loved it. Just make sure to keep it lubricated, it can get sticky sometimes.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
Mine is spoken for... but sheck out bassproshops.com or on ebay... and you will find them!!!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
Check out Cope's in Rocklin and they'll take care of you..