Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    warlock00            06-16-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
Well I went camping at lake brownwood this weekend, and we were skating with just 300lbs of sand in the boat and the wake looked huge for no more weight than that. I mean like knee high with not much weight. I have heard that the deeper the water the bigger the wake is and I am wondering if that is true?

I normally ride on a lake that is like 10-12 foot max, and the area we were riding was like 25 ft. or so.
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       06-16-2003, 7:28 AM Reply   
This is true, some people have explained why this happens. My wake in San Angelo is not nearly as big as other lakes. The lake depth in San Angelo where most people ride(around the reeds and ski cove)is around 5-8 feet. Peace

John
Old    zanek            06-16-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
Well i think that that only applies to water up to a certain depth. Here in idaho, on Priest Lake, our lake's deepest part is like 2400 feet and my wake is no bigger there when it is only 100 feet. Your wake only will grow smaller in shallower water when it's so shallow that the water being pushed back and out from your prop starts hitting the bottem and comming up too early.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-16-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
Our first INT stop this year was a small private ski lake. At one end it was 3-4' deep. It dropped off to 6-8 and then gradually got deeper, up to about 20 feet at the opposite end. While riding the only place anyone noticed the wake change was at the 3-4' area. It was the wierdest thing I have ever seen, but you could watch the wake go from big to about half as big almost instantally! Really messed up some people on their last tricks of the run! Couldn't tell any difference in the wake in water over 6'. We usually ride anywhwere from 10-25 feet and sometimes at lakes up to 200 feet and can't tell any difference.

Bryce... you ride in 2400' of water??? That would be freaky! So if anything goes down there it is by by!
Old    zanek            06-16-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
ya dude, it's crazy. They used to test subs here, they probb still do but i don't know. Ya we have like parts of the lake that go out for almost .5 of a mile and only be up to your neck. But then it drops off.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
I think Tony is correct. Its only at less than about 6 feet where it really seems to matter. I rode a couple of weeks ago at a lake that was mostly 4-5 ft deep and the wake was drastically smaller than where I normally ride (which is 40-100+ ft deep).
Old    warlock00            06-16-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
well at least I am not crazy.

John the ski island is now about 10ft. all the way around it. Have you been here since they dreged it? It cleaned the lake up a lot. You can see your hand about a 1ft. or so under water now...Where do you ride being from Odessa?

Well like I said we usually ride in about 10 ft. of water and Lake Brownwood(at the area we were riding) was about 20 ft. and we could tell the difference. Wish I would have filled the sac up just to see how big it would have been.