Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
I am looking for a used boat from 2000 to 2004 area. My budget is $25000 area. I am interested in a "V" Drive config. and was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the boats i am interested in.
1.Mastercraft X-Star or X-10
2.Malibu Wakesetter VLX or LSV
3.Tige (any V drive)
3.Supra 21V or SSV
4.Moomba LSV
Any help on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Scott
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
All fairly good choices. I would go look and drive a few and see which one's you like the best. If it was a Tige I wouldn't go older than 03 or 04. I probably would stay away from the Moomba unless you were looking at an 06 or newer LSV. Where are you located?

I would also consider 2000-2003 Super Air Nautique or if you don't mind getting the boat from Cali the Sanger V210 and V215.

(Message edited by polarbill on August 20, 2009)
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I would stay away from the X-10 and I own a 2000 X-Star. The X-10 needs a ton and I mean a ton of weight and the wake is really really mellow average at best.

As to the BU again the LSV has same neg features of that era as the X-10. They do a ton of things with an average or just above rating, but don't excel at anything except space.

The VLX is solid and tried and true.

Tiges' of that era have been known to have some wake curling issues due to their old hull design. The new boats with the Convex V-Hull though are a complete 180. Not sure when they introduced that hull though.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a 21v under 30k for sure, but owning a 2000 X-Star and riding behind a 21V a good chunk of time, I would def go 21V now if I was going to upgrade. Thing handles chop like no other, throws a great wakeboard wake, is humongo inside(comparatively speaking to the VLX/X-Star/Moomba LSV. Very high gunwales and deck and a plush huge cockpit area.

The Supra SSV is also a great ride. Wakes are nice and poppy. Solid boat for sure.

The Moomba LSV. It is a rock solid performer with great wakes. If you ever get inside one though you will notice the seats are low to the ground compared to all the other models, the nose rides low, and the seats have minimal amount of cushioning. Again rock solid boat and wake for the money. I would never say it is garbage at all, but if you going used I would put it towards the bottom. However if you wanted a new ride with warranty, something w/o a scratch and the chance of owning a new boat(which is huge for some) and are on a tight budget the current boat(outback V) would be a great boat for somone who wanted the ownership of a new boat that is a rock solid performer with no frills and easy on the pocketbook (compared to most new boats). However wit your budget and since you are looking used I would put it at the bottom close to the scratch it off the list category. The biggest upside to going with a used Moomba LSV is that it is probably going to be the "newest" model year you can find. Kind of went on a tangent hope it wasn't too confusing.

Without knowing exactly what you are going to be using the boat for or how big of a crew you ride with I would completely eliminate the X-10, Malibu LSV, and the Tige's of that era(assuming an 04 doesn't have the convex v hull). I you could swing it and spend a little more the 21V blows the older 22ssv away performance wise

1) Supra 21V
2) X-Star/205V
3) Supra SSV
4) VLX
5)Moomba LSV

I am sure you aregoing to get a couple different lists withe 2,3 and 4 in different orders and 3 and 4 are going to cause some arguments on the board for sure. The only reason the VLX is ranked behind the SSV is due to the fact I like the SSV wake shape a little better. It is more of a hard,poppy, kicking style wake that I tend to like(Hence owning the X-Star 1.0). I still enjoy a VLX wake, but just like the hard lip of and the kick I got from my buddy's SSV a little better than the VLX's. Again if you could swing a little more $$ for the 21V that's the route I would go

(Message edited by xstarrider on August 20, 2009)
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-20-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have an 02 x star and if I were looking again I would try and find the biggest boat I could find with a good to great wake. I went for Legendary wake and wish I had something bigger for the family because I will never be a Pro or Advanced rider.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-20-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Good advice from Tampa here. So many people buy a boat based on the wake only but neglect so many other important factors.. Hell, you can buy a 2001 Natique and throw a pile of ballast into it and make a great wake, but you'll only have room for 2.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
That is one of the main reasons I chose the Supra 21V first. HUMONGO when compared that the 90inch beam on my 2000 X-Star TIIIIIIIGHT!
But for me that is ok. I am usually riding with a skeleton crew. 3-4.
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great info guy's. I am from northern ontario Canada. I usually ride with 4-6 people on average. I have a baby on the way,so I guess in the next few years it would have to be family friendly for room wise.
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
There are not to many supra 21V's for sale. I see a few in the 30K area 05's. That might be an option if I talk the wife into it. Mabye nexxt spring. As long as our dollar stay's in good range to the U.S. dollar.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Are you willing to grab something in the States and having it shipped to you?
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Yes, that's exactly what im looking for. I might be waiting up until a year before I make a purchase. I want to research this very well and get something I am very happy with.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/1332982876.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1327730604.html

These are both good options that you can find in the SF/Sacramento area. They are newer than most of the options you listed and the V215 is an especially nice boat. It has lots of room, a good wake, good rough water ride and excellent fit and finish. You can get a really new V210 with 25-30 American.

I also have a friend in Bellingham washington who wants to sell her 2001 Mastercraft Xstar. It has the bigger motor, triple ballast, PP, sub/amp and is navy and white. I haven't actually seen it but will in 2 weeks. From what I have heard it is in good shape. I think she wants 27k or so.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
...out of those boats bang for the buck......supra 21 v.....its worth the extra money if you can swing it. huge wake.....tons of storage hidden balast ...wrap seating and playpen.....couldn't ask anymore out of a boat...here is the wake, and no i am not biased....oh i am 6feet

Upload

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on August 20, 2009)
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
That 07 is gorgeous and a very good price.It's about $2500 shipping from Sac. Cali.Thanks again. I really never thought of Sanger's but a lot of people like them.
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
Wow that's huge.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-20-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
...thats with the gravity 3 ballast all hidden....1100up front....585 each side of engine 22mph.....4 people.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
That is a huge wake. I had a 2000 Moomba MobV with a similar ballast setup and it is nice that it is hidden but the only thing that sucks is that when it is full you lose 75%of your storage. I guess it would be the same with the Sanger's and most other boats if you really want a legit pro level wake though. None of the boats you listed have under floor ballast. The V210 can make a really good wake with only about 1500 pounds and would be fuel efficient compared to any of the other boats listed. They are low profile but actually ride good in rough water.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-20-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
We found an 02 SSV with 217 hours on it and got it for $22,500 in November and could not be happier. The boat is solid, reliable, roomy with good storage. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-20-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
The SSV's are reasonably priced and nice.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-21-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
I bought a '05 21v last winter with the gravity bags. Couldn't be happier. Came from an old Xstar/x2/x1. It has a lot more room in it and rides a lot better in chop.
Old     (scottyfum)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
How are the 01 Toyota Epic boats? I have seen a few of them online for fairly reasonable prices. I figure they have good engines but im not sure about the wake and everything else. They were not around to long so it kind of makes me scyptical. Scott