Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    boarderbabe101            08-31-2002, 4:32 PM Reply   
Hey alright i seem to have a littlr problem getting a wake to wake jump... i try to keep my edge but somehow i always flatten out..? help what do i need to do any tips? also i seem to obsorbe the wake...?
thanx
kaitlin
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-01-2002, 12:15 PM Reply   
come into the wake crouched, when you are riding up the wake, stand up tall, that should help. there aren't really any tips to help you not flatten out, you just have to do it.
Old    wakeboi518            09-03-2002, 6:07 PM Reply   
hey man
just hit the wave and fly
it works for me and i land in the flats everytime
Old    scoot            09-04-2002, 6:12 PM Reply   
Thats got to be the most useless peace of crap info about jumping the wake that I have ever seen on this site. No offense just try to be more insightful on your technique. Plus maybe she's got a really small wake like me and cant get any hight or distance without technique. Trust me if it were as easy as just "just hit the wave and fly" I think everyone would be professional wakeboarders.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-05-2002, 6:42 PM Reply   
My wife was having the same problem on a big wake. I had her start her cut alot closer to the wake. Her problem was, by the time she got to the wake she was going to fast so she had to flatten out. So just start close to the wake and cut all the way through the wake. She's going wake to wake every time now.
Old                09-07-2002, 7:31 AM Reply   
The best advice I ever got on going wake to wake is "edging through the wake". Just cut across the wake as if it wasn't even there. Keeping your legs stiff (just as if you're cutting) should send you to the other wake. When you get a little more comfortable with that, try standing tall and the top of the wake. That will get you the height. I never realized how big of a difference cutting all the way through the wake makes until I saw myself on video flattening out a little right before the wake. At best I would ramp down the other wake, but now I'm landing 5-10 feet out in the flats. That made me happy.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-11-2002, 2:02 PM Reply   
My wife had the same problem as Jeremy's. She is learning by making little cuts in and concentrating on keeping tension on the line and popping at the top. Then progress from further out. It is amazing how much pop one can get with a small cut!!
Old                09-11-2002, 7:44 PM Reply   
As long as you cut hard and all the way through the wake, it IS quite amazing how much pop you can get.
Old                09-17-2002, 5:37 PM Reply   
I usually leave the wake as far as possable. I'm Almost side by side with the boat. The rope will not be so tight then. When the rope tightens back up I use the sight jerking power ,it gives me, to gain speed.I edge all the way to the wake really hard, and my knees are bent.Right before I hit the wake I flatten out and straighten my knees. (like jumping without using you ankles)I can usually land about a foot ot two on the flats.
I hope my info was useful! Have fun!
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-14-2002, 10:46 AM Reply   
are you hitting the wake straight on or at an angle? My friends say I cut all the way thru and absorb the whole wake like a water skier does.....
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-14-2002, 1:00 PM Reply   
I started off doing that too - cutting in hard like I was water skiing. I got to the point where I could clear the wake but wasn't getting any air at all.

The cut used in water skiing is almost exact opposite of what you need to get air with a wakeboard. A skier cuts really hard at the farthest point away from the boat and basically gets shot across the wake, like a slingshot.

With a wakeboard you want a progressive edge, start the cut slowly and cut harder as you get closer to the wake and continue cutting.

There are several good articles that will teach you the progressive edge:

http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip002.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip009.asp
http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2001/Basics.asp
http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?id=50

Read those and try to picture yourself riding - then go out and do it!
Old     (shadowclaw)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-16-2002, 4:31 AM Reply   
Loading up the rail is the key for massive pop.
F.i. I can get a load in less then 2 meters and pop to a 1.5-2.0 meter in height without a wake(!) (cable track), just by using tension on the cable to get a load.
A must say is that I use 6 fins on my board to keep a massive rail ;) 4 will do fine too btw

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-16-2002, 6:43 PM Reply   
I think handle position has a lot to do with it. Standing tall means straightening your legs while your on edge. Keep the handle low, and as your coming into the wake, pull it in to your waist.