Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                09-23-2002, 2:09 AM Reply   
Hi, Can somebody tell me the correct way get the board in the air when doing a cable raley? I've read that you dont actually need to do anything and that the cable will pull you up. But someone said that when you are at maximum edge you need to kind of scoop the board backward to get the board in the air? Thanks
Old     (shadowclaw)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-23-2002, 8:00 AM Reply   
Yeah, when you r riding at max edge you need to full stop your board and jump. (just like a basketball run where you suddenly stop (block) and jump for the threepointer)
The tension on the cable does it all for you.. slingshotting you up and forward.
The second pull you get in mid air is your signal to gently pull the rope to your hip and land.
Old                09-24-2002, 1:01 AM Reply   
Thanks Dennis. So when you full stop and jump should I be jumping up and forward or just swinging the board backwards and upwards out of the water?
Old     (shadowclaw)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-24-2002, 3:25 AM Reply   
np Scott,

No just try to jump straight up as the cable will pull you into a horizontal position with brutal force, swinging your board automaticly behind you.
All you have to do when in the Air is swing the board a bit up for the looks of it ;).
If you do jump up AND forward it will cost you height and your board will not swing behind you as much, making a very sloppy jump.

Good luck and tell me when u tried it I'd like to hear!

(Message edited by shadowclaw on September 24, 2002)
Old                09-24-2002, 8:08 AM Reply   
Ok Dennis, you've been very helpful, will let you know the results
Old                09-27-2002, 4:37 AM Reply   
Went wakeboarding last night to try the raley. Getting the edging to build up line tension was fine but found that when I went to release I wasnt getting pulled up and forward. The only thought I had was whether my edging position wasnt quite right prior to take off. When I edge out and get enough tension my legs are slightly bent at the knees. When I asked someone at the lake they said that you should have almost straight, but not locked, legs and then dig your heels in and jump? Not sure if they were right, thought you might be able to shed some light on the problem?

Old     (shadowclaw)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-27-2002, 11:05 AM Reply   
You cant jump with almost streched legs :/
I have my arms almost straight and my knees in a 90 degree hook, almost with my but on the water when edging. When at max edge I edge a bit more , dig in and jump (diggin in and jumping in a split second!) The leg streching begins when u do the bit more edge and dig in.

Didn't you feel any force wanting to pull you forward when u released the tension?
Old                09-30-2002, 1:23 AM Reply   
I think what was happening was that when I was edging out hard I didnt dig in that little bit more and ended up losing tension on the line. Think the best thing is to just commit and dig in that bit harder and then just jump. Il be wakeboarding this week, il give you the success story ( hopefully! ) later this week. Cheers Dennis ; )
Old     (shadowclaw)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-30-2002, 8:01 AM Reply   
Air Raley is GunG H0, so do the kamikaze stuff and lay off the mental issue for a sec ;)

Good luck m8!
Old     (qtybry)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-01-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   

any pics of any cable rally anyone???
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-24-2003, 9:42 PM Reply   
dennis the technique you described will result in small (if you even get off of the water) ralleys. the only way this method would work is on an indian line.

scott take a hard progressive cut and when your at the hardest part of your cut you need to release the board out and away from your body. like the scoop method you were thinking of earlier. be doing it this way you keep the line loaded until the board is completly out of the water. because of this the tension pulls you up into the trick. bigger the load the bigger the trick. just ask the operator at the cable your riding at to watch you. they'll be able to help.