Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    jonmarkt            02-28-2003, 4:06 PM Reply   
I have a 1988 Malibu skier and was just wondering if anyone had any experience weighting this boat or one of the same model between '85 and '90. Right now all I have is a 550 lb. sack in the back and normally 4 people in the boat. I'm looking to add some more weight on the sides and some in the front. Any suggestions?
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2003, 4:23 PM Reply   
Add weight up front try a 250 or another 500.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-28-2003, 5:29 PM Reply   
Jon,

I've got about 550 behind the engine, and with four people in the boat, it kicks out a good wake already, especially when the gas tank is full also. When I've had only two people in the boat, I'd added Phat Buddies, one on each side of the engine. It's pushing alot of water then, and it kicks out a good wake then also.

Next time I'm out, I plan on running to Big Bump bladders, one on each side of the engine going back to the back seat. They're 750 lb each, but I think I'll fill them about 2/3 way full, as I think 1500 lb would make it run sluggish.
Old    farrell            02-28-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
I have two 560's on each side of the engine pulled as far forward as they will go. I've got three 50 lb sand bags in the bow.

With two people in the boat, the wake is nice. With four people, the wake gets bigger and steeper, but you have to keep the speed up. A little more weight in the bow and I think the wake would be really nice.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-01-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
Farrell,

I never thought of running the bladders all the way forward. I put mine in the back, and keep all my people up front. I've seen the rope get whipped forward too many times that I'm not comfortable having people in back.

With all of your weight forward, do you have the issue with water coming over the bow? When we first got the boat, and we had all the weight forward, it used to be a daily occurrence for us. It sometimes still is when we have somebody new driving.
Old    farrell            03-02-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
David,
We have to be a little more careful driving, but it's really not an issue. Everyone that drives the boat is pretty experienced.

Don't know if you use a spectra rope, but we've never had a problem with the rope bothering the folks in the back seat (I have a Flyhigh pole).
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
At the time we were using a non-stretch rope made for wakeboarding, not skiing (there's definitely a difference). I think they called it Spectra back then. It was right before they started making the ropes really thin. Come to think of it, with the new ropes, we don't have the problem any more. Maybe it's not an issue anymore.

As far as the wave coming over the front, it is moderately entertaining to see the look on a new driver's face when that happens.