Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
....anybody use them on a wakeboard boat....does the tower get in the way with the lines rubbing on it? Do you have confidence leaving the boat on them during the week...especially if exposed to the main lake?...any other pros and cons?

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on November 01, 2007)
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
ask greg bodor(gti2lo) , i believe he had his x-1 on whips.

my buddy used to use them aswell, never had any problems.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have whips for my boat and they are absolutly awesome. I did get a little rub mark on my cover from the rope but that could easily be fixed with a foam sleeve or something to cover the rope. I left my boat on them all summer. Pros are you only have 2 connection points. Bow loop with a caribeaner a rope loop in the back on the ski rope hook.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
.....dave do you scrub your boat every weekend to keep it from getting stained or do you just leave it till the end of the season and then clean it?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-01-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
if you plan to leave you boat floating all season long, your safe if you take it out every 4-5 weeks for a wash down, and it doesnt take long to jump in the water with a mitt and scrub the water line :-)

my buddy leaves his x-7 floating all season, its a navy blue and it still looks great
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-01-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
Michael I've had whips for two seasons and the boat gets left on them occasionally. You must use spring lines and mooring lines if you are going to leave it on. The load from the boat also puts much more load on the dock in a storm so I try to put the boat on the buoy as a habit. The best part of the whips is having the boat at the exposed dock without having to worry about wakes or a sudden squall.
When I park at the dock I usually put the bow out to the lake and have not been bothered by whips when pulling in. Mine are just fiberglass and fit into fixed mounts on the dock deck. I'd recommend the spring loaded mounts that pull the whips right out of the way. It's easier for racks and windy days.
We leave the boat in the water for two months with no build up but the Shuswap is a really clear lake.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       11-01-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Art, you got to love the Shuswap, one of the cleanest lakes I have seen. We rent a cabin on Little Shuswap every summer...Awesome
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2007, 9:47 PM Reply   
micheal the mooring whipes are the best thing since sliced bread i worked at west coast camps this last summer and that's what we used on four different boats all different sizes and they were all exposed to the main lake they handeled the boats like champs just get some decent bummpers. hope u like em bro!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-01-2007, 9:51 PM Reply   
Here you go.... no marks on boat at all and takes care of the dock too.

Upload
Upload
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-02-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
What year is that X?

(Message edited by OlskoolTige on November 02, 2007)
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-02-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
What whips did you use on that X1? I have an 04' X2 and am in the market for some whips.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-02-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
You can also use PVC for Whips. I bought 2 10' pieces of 2" PVC and bolted them to the dock and put an eye bolt on the other end. With the rope, hardware, and PVC I was out about 50 bucks. I have used them for two seasons now and they are holding up great.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-02-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I use the dockedge mooring whips. www.dockedge.com

My X-1 is a 2006 and is for sale!!

our boat would take a beating without the whips. We are on a popular lake and in the summer on long weekends sometimes there are about 30-40 boats skiing, tubing, etc causing alot of waves. With the whips the bow out to centre we never have a problem.

The floating dock can easily handle the load. Never has a wave ever gone over the nose. Even with 24' cuddy cabin boats plowing 15' from our dock.

btw boat sits in the water april until late october.. only scrub the bottom with bristle brush on weekends when the water is above 65 degrees. Not scum or agle on the bottom of the hull.

(Message edited by GTI2lo on November 02, 2007)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
....I am wondering about the rope going over the tower...looks like it would rub...any issues there?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-02-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
my dad (www.tigerdcks.com) sells the whips and a bunch of us on lake houston have them now. mine get used every weekend by company and work pefect. The tower has not been an issue. On some boats the cleat placement is very different so the setup on the boat that will be tied up the most will determine how to set it up. I have some pics somewhere of boats on the whips if you need em.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-02-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
If you attach the whips to the bow and stern and just use the cleats for mooring and spring lines you have more maneuvering space between the whips and a more stable hold on the boat. Mount the whips so they run straight out over the tie points.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-02-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
I dont have anything to tie to directly at the bow and dont know that i would want to put a cleat there and drill into the hull....my forward cleat is right under the windshield like gregs boat....I guess I have some things to think about.....

...any pictures of wakeboard boats tied up would be great...to see how people tie them up differently.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
you have a loop underneith for the trailer strap clip don't you? That's what I use.

I get a rag and wipe the side of the boat once it gets a little bad, but the lake I usually keep my boat at is pretty clean so there isn't a lot of scum on the boat.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
....hey dave....yes of course......but whats the best way to attach. I have in my mind that everything is free and clear with no rubbing. But cant picture it. what kind of knot do you use on that trailer loop?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
I have a metal caribeaner on the end of the rope so you can just click in. I would put a piece of pool noodle or something on the rope so it doesn't rub your cover. I just noticed small grooves in my cover. 1 being a hole right through. You also need a rope coming from about 4' away on the outstide of the whips to stop the boat from moving forward or backward on the whips.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-05-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
I use mooring arms . . . they work well and are less obtrusive to look at. Do a google search, they are pretty sweet.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-06-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
Yes the mooring arms work, but they do not support a boat that is more than 3500lbs...

Also I feel that they don't hold the boat far enough from the dock.

We use a set for our 12' Princecraft Ungava... They are called "wake watchers" or something like that...
Upload

(Message edited by GTI2lo on November 06, 2007)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-07-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
I have a set of moorign whips I use for people that come to dock at my house...they work great. I'm on the main lake and at time it gets very choppy...the whips hold great as long as you tie the boat up correctly.