Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-15-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
I am planning another street rod build in a couple of years and thought that I might want to do my own welding (if needed). Do any of you guys know about what it would cost to be taught the basics of welding?
I'm not looking for career certification, just hobby or fixing things around the restaurant
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-15-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
http://www.amazon.com/Welding-Dummie.../dp/B0043M52FO
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-15-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
Sounds stupid I know, but your local community college. You can pay $100 or so for some night classes, weld scrap until your heart is content, and not have to purchase a single thing. And you don't get into trouble if you skip class.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-15-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
Welding is easy. Just go out, buy a Miller wire feed welder, watch a few videos on how to weld with a wire feed, and then just practice practice. Seriously, it's not hard at all.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
I agree with Sinko. With a MIG almost anyone can weld. Welding with Gas or TIG is significantly more difficult to be proficient with. Welding aluminum is also much more difficult.

If you're just going to stick steel together then a MIG is the way to go. Pick up a Miller and some scrap steel and start sticking stuff together. Weld on flat surfaces, then go vertical and then weld inverted. Once you dial that in you'll be good. Welding upside down can be tricky since you're trying to make molten metal flow against gravity, but with practice it can be done. Try welding different thickness together. You'll blow some holes in the metal, but eventually you'll figure it out. I don't really think it can be taught. It really just takes practice knowing when you've got the metal hot enough to penetrate well without over heating it and burning through.

IMO welding is a skill that every man should have. Have fun with it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-16-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Oh, and do yourself a favor and get a automatic mask.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-16-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
Sounds stupid I know, but your local community college. You can pay $100 or so for some night classes, weld scrap until your heart is content, and not have to purchase a single thing. And you don't get into trouble if you skip class.
I think this is a great idea. That being said I learned as a kid sitting next to the scrap bin at my dad's shop. I might look into the JC thing as I've always wanted to learn how to TIG.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-16-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Take a class, if nothing else learn the basics and safety issues w/o much expense. I took a local Adult Ed class for $40. Was a sat am 8-12 and pretty much come and go to my schedule and I went to about 5-6 classes before I went off on my own. They start you w/ arc/stick. Then search craigslist for a used 115 volt wire feed mig...Lincoln, Miller, Hobart buy quality not Harbor frieght and get a bottle of gas mix. Expect to pay close to $400 for welder/cart/bottle used. Practice is the only thing that will improve your welding. Auto darkeng helmet too, that you can go harbor freight on. All street rods need welding work and it will save you a boatload of cash. When you get a welder...you will wonder what you did before owning one. Agree w/ Evan, everyguy should have this skill, or turn over the mancard . Good Luck.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-16-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
Like was said before - practice practice practice is the best way to learn. My dad taught me, but lessons on standard wire feed are, line it up, pull the trigger, go slow but not tooo slow..... you just need to do it
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-16-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
I want to learn to weld too. Funny, I was just talking about this last night.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-17-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Fesler wants $2800 for a custom center console for a '68 Camaro. I am having a hard time figuring why I couldn't build one myself (if I knew how to weld). I like the look of the product, but holy cow! $$$$

http://www.shopfesler.com/products/1...-console-.html
Old    SamIngram            11-17-2011, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanfield View Post
I know several professional welders including two who work in the oil fields (one does underwater welding on rigs too) and they all started at their local community college. I think the community college route is better than just teaching yourself because you don't start bad habits. You can also get certified cheaper at community than anywhere else. I know from experience that you can easily make welds that look good, but don't hold up. If you go to school you can learn the correct way and not make a painful, possible life-threatening mistake on your hot rod.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-18-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
welding is fun! like anything else, you can avoid mistakes and bad habits by learning from someone. Sure, you could figure it out eventually, but it makes a LOT more sense to get ahead of the learning curve by taking a class or two. with Stanfield on this one, get jumpstarted in a class or spend a few weekends constructing crap on your own that will end up in the trash...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-18-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
also, more details on your build plans would be cool. k
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-18-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Nacho
I want to modernize a '68 Camaro
I want the exterior to look original, but I want it on a modern Corvette chassis, powered by either a supercharged LS7 or an LS9 dry sump engine.
Here are several companies that already have modern components for these old cars:
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models2.html
http://www.martzchassis.net/camaro
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd721.htm
http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...x?projectid=28
http://www.gmachinechassis.com/gm.aspx
http://www.shopfesler.com/products.p...-panels-custom

I'm real intrigued with both Schwartz and Fesler
I'm pretty confident about all of the mechanical stuff. Modifying the dash is what will stress me out. I want to keep some of the '68 feel, but modernize some of it too. Being able to weld and fabricate should help me create the look that I want. (If I take my time). I also anticipate needing to make some brackets for the dry sump system etc....

sorry for all of the links. I have a ton more. I am just envious that there are guys that do this stuff for a living....
Attached Images

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-18-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
I decided to attend the local community college the last 3 semesters with my son. I learned alot and can MIg farily well now. My son is in the certificate program and has a ton of certs and is trying to get into a program sponsored by gas utility. It was stupid cheap and tons of fun. I probably used hundreds of dollars in consumables and I got access to a full fab shop. IMO-The Millers are much more user friendly than the Lincoln but I like them both. I have a lincoln but want to get the new Miller as it sets voltage automatically.

If you are going to weld on a car or trailer you really owe it to yourself, family and others on the road to know what you are doing before you proceed. Yes, most anybody can stick two peices of metal together but to get full penetration without distortion takes time, practice equipmnet, PPE(Personal Protective Equipment) and metalurgy knowledge etc... I learned far more than I expected and am now much more confident. My welds look far better and and I am confident are full pen, not just pileit welds (pile it on and grind off excess)... Consider a class before tackling a large project...
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2011, 8:25 AM Reply   
thanks for all of the input guys. I agree with the community college course idea. Which course do yall think would be the best place to start?

https://waj.tccd.edu/CE/ceCoursesW.h...&courseType=CE

thanks
Old    bigdtx            11-19-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
You could build that console out of MDF and coat it in fiberglass resin and it would be just as good as steel IMO. Would weigh a little more.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-22-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Cliff, thats awesome! I love the idea of modern power in a classic ride. Screw numbers matching blah blah blah.. I love the look of these cars and the reliability and power of newer/updated engines and mods. Great looking car!! keep us posted on the build.