Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
LAUNCH RAMP RULES AND REGULATIONS

1. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A OPERATOR FOR THE VESSEL NOR A DRIVER WHO CAN BACK THE TRAILER THEN USE RAMP MARKED: 1
2. BEFORE ENTERING THE STAGING AREA THE TRANSOM TIE DOWNS MUST BE REMOVED AND REMOVE BOW TIE DOWNS AT OWN RISK.
3. AFTER LAUNCHING THE VESSEL DO NOT LEAVE THE VESSEL TIED TO THE DOCK 100 FEET FROM THE LAUNCH RAMP SHORE OR 100 FEET FROM THE END OF THE DOCK, THIS AREA IS PAINTED RED.
4. NEVER OBSTRUCT THE LAUNCH RAMP WATER WAY UNLESS THE TRAILER IS IN THE WATER AND THE VESSEL IS EITHER ENTERING OR LEAVING THE TRAILER.
5. IF YOU HAVE ANY MECHANICAL PROBLEM THAT WILL KEEP THE VESSEL FROM MOVING, YOU MUST IMDIATTLELY SECURE BACK TO THE TRAILER AND PROCEEDE TO THE UNLOADING AREA.
6. BEFORE REMOVING THE VESSEL FROM THE WATER YOU ARE RESPOSIBLE FOR ATTACHING ONLY THE BOW STRAPS, THEN PROCEEDE IMDIATELY TO THE UNLOADING AREA.
7. ALL PEOPLE SHALL STAY SECURELY SEATED IN THE VESSEL WHILE TRAILERING TO THE UNLOADING AREA.
8. THERE IS TO BE NO UNLOADING OR STOPING ON THE LAUNCH RAMP.
9. IF THE VESSEL IS NOT ALINED PROPERLY ON THE TRAILER IT MUST STILL BE REMOVED FROM THE WATER AND IT WILL HAVE TO GET INTO THE BACK OF THE STAGING LINE TO RELAUNCH THE VESSEL.
10. ONCE THE TOW VEHICLE BEGINS TO PULL THE VESSEL AND TRAILER FROM THE WATER IT MAY NEVER GO INTO REVERSE UNLESS IT IS UNSAFE TO CONTINUE FORWARD.

ALL RULES AND REGULATIONS ARE THE LAW AND IF ANY ARE BROKEN THEN A FINE MAY BE ACESSED UP TO $200 PER OFFENSE.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-11-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
11. The launch ramp should never be confused as a wipedown area

Labor day weekend, the guy before me drops his new I/O and leaves his wife in pants holding the bow line and drives off to find a parking spot. It's goes sideways completely blocking both ramp lands and the outdrive is about to hit the ramp. I get out and help the lady get it back to the dock without hitting the outdrive on the concrete ramp, making a recommendation that she hold the boat at the side and farther away from the ramp. In the 1 minute it takes me to walk back to my truck the boat is sideways blocking the ramp again, she is holding the bow line looking confused... Some people are just too stupid to own a boat.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-11-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
12. If your trailer is not in the water , you cannot hold a ramp by parking your boat there.let others use it while you get your dam TRUCK
Old     (tory1340)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
What comes before #1?

A. Practice driving and backing your trailer somewhere else before you show up at the ramp for the first time on a Saturday when it's busy as hell.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-11-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
Video camera, 1 hour on a busy day at the boat launch, you are sure to make #1 on Americas funniest videos
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
If people don't start using some common sense and taking consideration for others out at the launch ramps then all of us are going to end up having to deal with stupid laws. This country is becoming less and less free, because of these very factors. If we don't find a way to help elevate some of these problematic people then we will all suffer the consequences. You know, laws made up by politicians that know nothing about boating or any other subject for that matter. Next thing you know we will have to have a captains license just to operate our boats. This would be caused by the guy who goes and buys his first boat, but declines the orientation from the dealer, or doesn't take the boating safety course.

I agree with Ken on the video camera at the launch ramp. Actually when we used to live in Henderson, NV we would drive down to Mead when the conditions were bad and just watch people. The ramp we would go to was a off camber ramp so the trailer would sit a little sideways in the water. This caused HAVOC on MOORONS and people would take help from more experienced boaters. It may sound mean or crude, but I learned so tips on what not to do also.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-11-2006, 3:10 PM Reply   
Is this for real? What area has this set of regulations?

I don't understand rule #10: "10. ONCE THE TOW VEHICLE BEGINS TO PULL THE VESSEL AND TRAILER FROM THE WATER IT MAY NEVER GO INTO REVERSE UNLESS IT IS UNSAFE TO CONTINUE FORWARD."

Does this mean that once the tow vehicle starts moving forward you can't back up again? What if the boat isn't setting right on the trailer?
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-11-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Refer to rule 9

9. IF THE VESSEL IS NOT ALINED PROPERLY ON THE TRAILER IT MUST STILL BE REMOVED FROM THE WATER AND IT WILL HAVE TO GET INTO THE BACK OF THE STAGING LINE TO RELAUNCH THE VESSEL.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
13. Once the boat is in the water, MOVE IT! Don't let the boat sit there taking up a spot while the driver parks the car, goes to the bathroom and slowly walks back down the ramp...
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
If for some odd reason my boat is not aligned. I WILL FIX IT THEN!!! Only an idiot would pull their boat out of the water misaligned.

Daman would you pull you're 06 vlx out of the water misaligned? That is a sweet boat I would never do that. The other stuff I do agree with but I would never trip on someone for wanting their boat loaded properly.( patients )
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-11-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Totally agree, but if it takes someone 5 minutes to get it aligned.....well, time to give them their sign.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-11-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Every ramp I've been to says NO POWERLOADING, but we do it anyway because it is almost impossible to get it on without a lil juice and the boatbuddy, and also I don't even think the winch is rated to crank up the boat by itself...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-11-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
I think we are one of the quickest groups on the ramp but if I made an error on alignment I would never pull out and get back in line. If someone was so impatient to have rules like those I would slow down when they were behind me. There is no reason to be so impatient.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Maybe 10 is harsh, but it sounds fantastic for chronically impatient. I have been sitting in a hospital bed for the past 4 days and was going insane, so I came up with some rules and regulations I would like to see on my lake. (If I ever owned one) I would call it Lake Dont****AroundOnTheLaunchRamp. I was thinking about making the punshment death, but then we would run out of people to laugh at. Like I was saying before if people don't straighten their crap out then we will have to deal with dumb signs and regulations all over the place, more than now.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
"Some people are just too stupid to own a boat" Man, ain't that the truth!
Old     (kneeboarder8806)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-11-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
(If I ever owned one) I would call it Lake Dont****AroundOnTheLaunchRamp.

i love that name. or lake Dont****AroundOnTheLaunchRampandnolakelice
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       09-12-2006, 12:22 AM Reply   
It must be really freaken busy where you all are. Hell if someone told me I cant back my boat back in the lake to make it safe to trailer.. if by chance my lovley wife didnt get it on right the first time. there would be hell to pay! Patience my boating friends. everyone has to learn sometime and somewhere. Hell I am 34 and have owned a boat before I owned a car. I have to back up every once and awhile. BUT I have tought my lovley wife to drive the boat and there are going to be those times. you all just need to relax at the ramp besides you are out there for fun and to relax.RIGHT????
IMHO
JJ
and then there are those that ARE to stupid to own a boat. I see them ALL the time. for them I suggest the local swimming pool!!!
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
Yeh, I think these rules are a little excessive (even humorous). Where I launch 75% of the boats are bassboats so they have to tie up to the dock while they park/get the truck. I would also wait for someone to get their boat on the trailer correctly. As long as their hustling and acknowledge that others want to use the ramp, I've got no problem. I do get annoyed at the inconsiderate morons who think its their private ramp/dock when there are people waiting, but its not worth ruining my day b/c they're idiots.

I, for one, think you should be required to pass a written exam (at least) in order to trailer and pilot a boat. Its crazy to me that anyone with a couple grand can purchase a boat/jetski and be out on the ramp/water with little-to-no training. Boating deaths and accidents seem to be increasing and I think we will see some legislation before too long. Its sad that people won't take the initiative and that the gov must get involved, but if thats the only way to educate then so be it.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
"everyone has to learn sometime and somewhere."

Good idea:

14. If you are not familiar with launching and retrieving a trailered boat, please stop by any time M-F between the hours of 6AM and 3PM to practice. Please be mindful of weekday boaters.

Personally, I can see 10 being a little extreme but at the same time, some people are way too picky about alignment and back that redo it when it was more than good enough the first ten times they did it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-12-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
I'm not a fan of regulation in general, but I also think there should be testing & licensing for boaters. It's far more complex & dangerous than a lot of other activities that require licenses.

I've been hunting since I was a little kid, and it pissed me off when I had to take TX hunter education when it was enacted a few years ago, but I also felt it was a good idea for the general public idiots.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
I boat on a river so when we pull the boat out the current almost always pushes the hull to the left side of the trailer. After getting out of the water i pull over and push/rock it into place. Perfect alignment is not an issue. No need to re-dip here.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-12-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
I agree with Daman on most of his rules. of course, I ride on the same lake with him, and I know what he is dealing with. Piru is a mess, most all the time. there are only two ramps, and one is not open until like 8 or 9 am. I am usually leaving by 9:30, and that is when a ton of the idiots are there. nothing like seeing 5 boats full of people tied up to the dock, while one person backed the truck down, pulled the boat off, tied the boat up, then proceeded to go park his truck. this is a normal occurance there.
I practiced my backing, trailering, etc when it was not busy.
next major three day weekend, I plan on hanging at the ramp, either A. videoing this crap, drinking beer and laughing at them. or B. offering my assistance for a couple of bucks per boat!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
I had the priveledge of sitting at a boat ramp in Sweethome Oregon for about 2 hours waiting for some people to show up. I had no idea how crazy it gets. I think I porbabbly saw 10 props get whacked, 500 F words 3 divroses happening and 25 children getting grounded LOL. People never cease to amaze me. I must say when I first satrted boating I took my Boast to a big church parking lot and practiced backing up between some cones and stuff. I also went to the lake on the weekday to practice cause I was so paranoid.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
15) IF THE VESSEL IS A JETSKI, GO HOME WITH VESSEL.